I messed up big time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Basalt12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wish the situation I was in on anybody. Basically I went to a pretty good 4 year university right out of high school. I failed the first semester but I was determined and somehow passed two semesters with B/C's. My fourth semester I got a F in organic chem and D in biology because I missed the first two weeks of school and never caught up. Also I blame myself for not taking my studies seriously enough. For the next year due to repeating the same mistake, I couldn't live with myself. I signed up for two semesters and lied to my parents and did not go to school. (Yikes). My total gpa after being academically dismissed is 1.478.

After coming out with the truth, I worked odd jobs for a year and truly realized the importance of education. I applied to community college yesterday and will talk to a transfer advisor about my old grades this week. Is it possible for me to complete turn around and still get into med school or PA school, I am planning on transferring the year of credits from my old school and finishing the associates degree in biology and than going to another 4 year university for my bachelors. Am I gone beyond repair or could I still follow this path and get into premed/pa school. I want this more than anything but I cannot waste anymore time, I am already 22 with about a year in college credits from an academically dismissed with a 1.478 gpa. I know you can't hide transcripts so my first 4 year university is always going to follow me.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly as strange as it might sound you have a better chance for med school than PA. At this point in time PA school admissions put a lot of stock in gpa; not saying the gre is unimportant but it does not nearly effect an app as much as the mcat does for md and do.

If you graduate with a bachelors and have high grades here on out you can still get into medical school. People have bad starts; you have very little room for error now, but you can still turn it around.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly your story reminds me of myself when I was in college. I was I denial and overly ambitious. But in the end I learned that you need to be honest with yourself. In order to improve academically you need to improve your mindset and realize your mistakes And be honest with your family. They are trying to support you and at the end of the day they just want what's best for you . Anyways sorry if I am getting too personal here. To answer the question I do think you can improve but first you need to really take accountability for your mistakes and make sure you improve on it . Do not overload your self to try to "catch up" or graduate faster or make up for lost time. Take a full course load but plan your schedule wisely making sure not to take more than two hard sciences at a time. I'm telling you this because that is the mistake I made. Well I'm hear to tell you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Focus on your coursework! Good Luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No more mistakes. No more excuses. Time to put up or shut up, seriously.

Best of luck to you.

I wouldn't wish the situation I was in on anybody. Basically I went to a pretty good 4 year university right out of high school. I failed the first semester but I was determined and somehow passed two semesters with B/C's. My fourth semester I got a F in organic chem and D in biology because I missed the first two weeks of school and never caught up. Also I blame myself for not taking my studies seriously enough. For the next year due to repeating the same mistake, I couldn't live with myself. I signed up for two semesters and lied to my parents and did not go to school. (Yikes). My total gpa after being academically dismissed is 1.478.

After coming out with the truth, I worked odd jobs for a year and truly realized the importance of education. I applied to community college yesterday and will talk to a transfer advisor about my old grades this week. Is it possible for me to complete turn around and still get into med school or PA school, I am planning on transferring the year of credits from my old school and finishing the associates degree in biology and than going to another 4 year university for my bachelors. Am I gone beyond repair or could I still follow this path and get into premed/pa school. I want this more than anything but I cannot waste anymore time, I am already 22 with about a year in college credits from an academically dismissed with a 1.478 gpa. I know you can't hide transcripts so my first 4 year university is always going to follow me.
Go read my post on reinvention for pre-meds.

I would lean more towards pharmacy or dental at that age. You work far fewer hours and set yourself up for a better shot at having a good family. You can get into pharmacy school with two years of school which means much less debt. I see a career as more about raising a normal family and entering medical school in your late twenties will hurt those chances.

I would lean more towards pharmacy or dental at that age. You work far fewer hours and set yourself up for a better shot at having a good family. You can get into pharmacy school with two years of school which means much less debt. I see a career as more about raising a normal family and entering medical school in your late twenties will hurt those chances.
The OP stated that they are 22 years old, from what I can understand, that is no where near late twenties ? Even if it does take then 4 more years to graduate college, they only would be 26. They could apply at 25 and matriculate at 26 with 3 years of GPA repair considering they have not finished their first Bachelors degree yet, they still have time to bring their overall gpa up assuming they do well from here on out.
What does a career have to do with raising a family ?!

He doesn't seem very driven to grind out seventy hour weeks his entire career. He just wants to move out of his parents basement. If he saves 25k a year from 27 to 58 he will be worth like 3 million while working a forty hour week the whole time. Med school is for workaholics.

From what you've written, I see two major problems --
  • First is a bad case of the young and stupids complicated by immaturity and chicken to face the parents and admit the truth. This can be overcome, but only with a great deal of time and demonstrated maturity.
  • Second is a really dismal GPA that will not ever go away. Three+ years of really great GPA can overcome this for most schools.
I'm going to echo the advice to slow down. I know that's the absolute last thing you want to hear, but between the two issues noted above, the first problem is by far more serious, and actually taking more time before hopping back on the academic rodeo is part of the demonstrated redemption. Try working full time and taking 1-2 CC classes at a time for a year. Then restart at a reputable 4-year school full-time while working part time. If it takes you 5 or 6 years, that's actually a good thing, because you'll need 5 or 6 good years to overcome that much 'young and stupid'.

Reactions: 2 users
I would put more emphasis on finding a good career. Go to a four year school for engineering or accounting or something that will pay will. There is about a 90% chance you don't get into med school. If you can't get into pharmacy school after two years you can kiss med school goodbye.

@redfish955 no offense, but everytime I see you in a thread you are discouraging people from pursuing being a physician. I haven't quite figured out why but this is a pre med forum, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more encouraging

Reactions: 5 users
@redfish955 no offense, but everytime I see you in a thread you are discouraging people from pursuing being a physician. I haven't quite figured out why but this is a pre med forum, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more encouraging

Every post from this user is roughly the same: don’t go to med school; pursue engineering instead. I just checked their post history and apparently they’re an engineer interested in medicine. I’m not sure if this is a troll or what, but it’s not helpful to OP at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Amen

Lots of the medical school pre med classes are weed out classes. Expect them to be extremely difficult for anyone to make it through. You can take the pre req classes, pass them, and get into med school with a 4.0 in the easiest major the school possibly offers. Don't get discouraged if you do poorly on them at a lot of schools only about 25% of the students will pass with an A or B. Make sure the 4 year school you are attending will accept the classes as transfer credits. Some 4 year schools may not accept your classes and force you to retake them. Nurse programs are supposed to favor males because they get fewer applicants. I know of average nursing students who are now anesthetists. I would take the pre reqs and figure out what you think your capable of and what you want to do after those. You may want to check on the pre reqs for nursing school and try to complete those in the jr college program. If you did poorly on the pre med pre reqs you could just jump straight into nursing that way.

Last edited:
Lots of the medical school pre med classes are weed out classes. Expect them to be extremely difficult for anyone to make it through. You can take the pre req classes, pass them, and get into med school with a 4.0 in the easiest major the school possibly offers. Don't get discouraged if you do poorly on them at a lot of schools only about 25% of the students will pass with an A or B. Make sure the 4 year school you are attending will accept the classes as transfer credits. Some 4 year schools may not accept your classes and force you to retake them. Nurse programs are supposed to favor males because they get fewer applicants. I know of average nursing students who are now anesthetists. I would take the pre reqs and figure out what you think your capable of and what you want to do after those. You may want to check on the pre reqs for nursing school and try to complete those in the jr college program. If you did poorly on the pre med pre reqs you could just jump straight into nursing that way.

Please stop. We literally just posted about how counter-productive it is for you to post the same non-sense and you do it AGAIN! You aren’t helping anyone by discouraging or offering an alternative plan right out of the gate; this is your exact post template for virtually every thread you’ve participated in. You are an engineer wanting to go premed yet you advise everyone to go engineering (and in this case, nursing) instead of premed—how backwards is this logic?

Please stop. We literally just posted about how counter-productive it is for you to post the same non-sense and you do it AGAIN! You aren’t helping anyone by discouraging or offering an alternative plan right out of the gate; this is your exact post template for virtually every thread you’ve participated in. You are an engineer wanting to go premed yet you advise everyone to go engineering (and in this case, nursing) instead of premed—how backwards is this logic?

Lol, thank you for the strong words, some people need to slapped around sometimes.

OP, read Goro's reinvention post as he said. Also, NEVER let anyone phase you from your calling. If you truly think or know somewhere deep that you a have a calling to be a physician, then go forth and conquer. I assume with your extremely poor start that you didn't do much shadowing or volunteering? The path in front of you will be difficult and take time, thus I would say FIRST THINGS FIRST is to shadow a Primary Care Physician or Internal Medicine doctor for a few days followed by maybe a surgeon in a specialty you think is awesome. These experiences alone will tell you right away if this is something you could see yourself doing or not. Follow this with a hospital volunteering gig where you get to interact with patients, maybe once a week for a few hours.

I know OP's academics are first and foremost, but he needs to decide TRULY if physician is his calling as opposed to all the other equally excellent and important jobs in health care. I think this is the first thing thou must do before figuring out your life.

Cheers

I find it hard to believe you would recommend someone remains pre-med and continues to accumulate debt if they struggled with the pre-reqs on the second time around. If I don't go to med school I can still buy a nice home, support a family, and save for retirement. There are lots of biology teachers that are way smarter than their 45k a year salary would indicate, they just weren't deemed 200k a year smart.

I find it hard to believe you would recommend someone remains pre-med and continues to accumulate debt if they struggled with the pre-reqs on the second time around. If I don't go to med school I can still buy a nice home, support a family, and save for retirement. There are lots of biology teachers that are way smarter than their 45k a year salary would indicate, they just weren't deemed 200k a year smart.
We're giving the OP this optimistic yet realistic advice because the OP seems to be on the path to growing up and accepting responsibility. Not every pre-med is DOA after netting a 1.6 GPA in the first go-around.

There's a reason you're on the bad Boy list; try not to merit a Banhammer smack.

:smack::smack::smack:(when you claim that the amount you make is proportional to your 'smarts')

Move forward. Your past academic performance is a part of who you are. Own it but realize what you did to get into that hole and don’t repeat it. Take your studies seriously and an upward trend will ensue. When you start school, focus on your grades but don’t forget to have some activities. Once you have solid grades, contact your pre-health advisor and discuss the next steps.

You have a deep hole to dig out of, but you can dig yourself out of it.