I messed up...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustnCredible

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently (january this year) started college for the first time at a community college. I took math 91, english 101, and Cross Training. At the age of 33. I failed math miserably (it was all online), got a B in English, and I got a B in cross training. This was my first attempt at starting college, and not knowing what I really was heading for. I have been researching the med field for a long time now but was not certain it was for me until about two months ago. I am at a community college right now and want to transfer to a four year this next year. Did I pretty much do myself in for getting into med school in the future? I feel so upset about the grades right now, but I have vowed NOT to take any classes online as they are too hard for me to understand the harder subjects I.E. math for me... I also have a wife and four kids and work full time. Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Everything you read about getting into medical school will tell you the same thing. That is, you need to make excellent grades, do well on the mcat, and volunteer...etc. This is all true, but don't get into the mindset that one mess up will completely ruin your chances for success. Admissions committees also look at character traits such as perseverence, motivation, and drive. To sum this up I would advise you take this experience, learn from it, and next semester challenge yourself to improve your skills as a student. Also, there are many medical students with children. I've been told that it presents extra challenges but it is managable. Good luck!

Everything you read about getting into medical school will tell you the same thing. That is, you need to make excellent grades, do well on the mcat, and volunteer...etc. This is all true, but don't get into the mindset that one mess up will completely ruin your chances for success. Admissions committees also look at character traits such as perseverence, motivation, and drive. To sum this up I would advise you take this experience, learn from it, and next semester challenge yourself to improve your skills as a student. Also, there are many medical students with children. I've been told that it presents extra challenges but it is managable. Good luck!

I totally agree. You are not going to be perfect, so don't beat yourself up over a few little mistakes.
I don't have four kids but I am single mom of one which will probably equal to your four lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently (january this year) started college for the first time at a community college. I took math 91, english 101, and Cross Training. At the age of 33. I failed math miserably (it was all online), got a B in English, and I got a B in cross training. This was my first attempt at starting college, and not knowing what I really was heading for. I have been researching the med field for a long time now but was not certain it was for me until about two months ago. I am at a community college right now and want to transfer to a four year this next year. Did I pretty much do myself in for getting into med school in the future? I feel so upset about the grades right now, but I have vowed NOT to take any classes online as they are too hard for me to understand the harder subjects I.E. math for me... I also have a wife and four kids and work full time. Any advice is greatly appreciated...

You have found the solution to your problem in that you should not take any more classes online. From here on out, take your time and make sure that any future math classes are done the traditional route.

Since this was your first attempt at college, slow down and get some "As" under your belt before you ramp up the intensity. A good place to start would be just re-taking that math class that you failed and acing it on the re-take.

There are people who have a bump at the start, make a correction and go on to excel. Make sure that you are one of them. Take advantage of any study skills courses that your college may provide (usually there are plenty of them). Resolve that you are going to learn from this and keep moving forward. You have had your bump early and now look forward so that you don't encounter this again.

In future coursework, get help at the first sign of trouble. Make sure that you are allowing plenty of time to thoroughly master your math. You don't want this to be a weakness that threatens your performance in chemistry, physics and other math-reliant courses in the future. Utilize any tutorials and the office hours of your professor. When you pay your tuition, you pay for these services so take advantage of them.

You can't go back and erase that "F" but you can totally effect your future and make sure that you have "As" in it. Don't hurry and don't dwell on the past. The past cannot be changed and you only drive yourself "nuts". The more excellent grades that you receive, the less effect of that "F".

If everything is excellent from here on out, you can just explain that grade the way you did in your original post. It was an online class and that is just not a good learning method for you. You certainly will not be the first person to not thrive with online coursework and the good thing is that you have alternatives so utilize them.

A few bad grades can be overcome.
If you are going to school part-time, you are so far away from applying to med school that I wouldn't worry about it.

Pursue a degree in something you enjoy and which has good career prospects. Just try to do as well as you can and see where you are in a few years. Everyone has some bad grades along the way. Just try not to have too many.

This is way down the line, but if you are interested in DO schools, you can retake a class and they only count the new grade.

don't sweat it, what's done is done. just learn from the mistake, concentrate on where you went wrong (didn't spend enough time, overloaded, subject too hard...etc.?) and drive on. I am a non trad, had a few bad grades in undergrad and about to take my boards soon. so don't drive yourself crazy thinking about the past classes and plan for the future. I know it's hard to do, I still do it after every test but you gotta get through it and think about the next hurdle otherwise it'll kill your confidence. good luck!

You have found the solution to your problem in that you should not take any more classes online.

Online classes are not inherently evil. However, I do agree that you should probably get some of the general classes under your belt and only take online classes in subjects that you are already comfortable with. I took several online classes, and they were a savior for time (and gas nowadays). But you do really have to keep on top of them, and get help immediately if you are struggling at all.

Best of luck to you! Just keep working away at it, one bad grade or semester is not going to kill your chances.

don't sweat it, what's done is done. just learn from the mistake, concentrate on where you went wrong (didn't spend enough time, overloaded, subject too hard...etc.?) and drive on. I am a non trad, had a few bad grades in undergrad and about to take my boards soon. so don't drive yourself crazy thinking about the past classes and plan for the future. I know it's hard to do, I still do it after every test but you gotta get through it and think about the next hurdle otherwise it'll kill your confidence. good luck!

So just out of curiosity, if you take a math class and fail it miserably, and retake the same one, do they still look at the failed math grade? Sorry, I'm new to college:eek:

Well as long as you make good grade on the retake then its viewed as an improvement.