I must be crazy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wumpus

Midlife doofus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I crazy? I am currently out of the Army and looking to change careers. I have been accepted to a post bac program at a Montana state university. I really only need the organic chemistry and the biology, but I thought a fully structured program would be the best. Also, I liked the fact that MSU stressed the rural family practice angle - the field in which I would practice.
I am 37, married with kid.
Why should or shouldn’t I go back to school to be a doctor? I have also thought about a career change into biomedical engineering.
I know the decision will ultimately be my own. However, I would like to hear how others have fared and whether they felt the career change was worth it.
Blue Skies!

Members don't see this ad.

Am I crazy? I am currently out of the Army and looking to change careers. I have been accepted to a post bac program at a Montana state university. I really only need the organic chemistry and the biology, but I thought a fully structured program would be the best. Also, I liked the fact that MSU stressed the rural family practice angle - the field in which I would practice.
I am 37, married with kid.
Why should or shouldn’t I go back to school to be a doctor? I have also thought about a career change into biomedical engineering.
I know the decision will ultimately be my own. However, I would like to hear how others have fared and whether they felt the career change was worth it.
Blue Skies!

Before everyone jumps all over you, there is a whole forum dedicated to this, under the heading of Non-Traditional Applicants. Check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah yes, the non-traditional forum.
Thanks!

I went to MSU for a second bac. degree after goofing off for 4 years at another institution and getting poor grades.

7 years later, I am now a pathology resident after completing medical school at the University of Washington. MSU is great because you get to know some of the first year med school professors while doing the post-bac thing. I wasn't aware that they had a formal post-bac program. They didn't when I was there.

I think this is only the second year the formal post-bac has been in existence.

gnarls6.jpg

I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind,
There was something so pleasant about that place...
Even your emotions had an echo in so much space.

And when you're out there, without care,
Yeah, I was out of touch.
But it wasn't because I didn't know enough:
I just knew too much

Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
Probably (Or Possibly)

Dedicated to our man, wumpus. Just messin w/you bro. Best of luck getting those grades and getting to med school. :thumbup:

Thanks for the rhyme... it was uplifting.:laugh:
I think I am just going to give in and be crazy - the colors are always brighter and every day is full of wonderment!