I need a good biochem book!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm having trouble finding a good biochem book... I know first aid isnt enough.

Lippincott is tooooo long and detailed
Hi Yield- too short and scanty on some areas
Kaplan- Haven't taken a look at this book but it seems to be almost as big as lippincott or even BRS physio

How EXACTLY did you study for biochem for step 1??

thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

For the usmle, I studied from a book called "crashing the boards", a different comprehensive review book, for biochem. In retrospect, I think that I would have been just fine just going with first aid, but I was worried about first aid not being enough at the time too. You should look for it in your bookstore and flip through it before you buy it, it's not a bad book. I think that it gives you too much info in biochem, but it's definitely much less then reading lippincott or another biochem specific review book.

I bought the Rapid Review Biochem book (ISBN 0323008356; about 30 duckets). More content than the HY, but not as long as the BRS or Lippincott. It is also a 2003 book, so online reviews are non-existant. It looks to be 211 pages of reading with a CDROM of USMLE type questions, plus two 50 question tests at the end of the book w/explanations. Outline type text with high yield facts in the margins. Hope it works.

I went through Lippincott's Biochem in the first 2 years of med school, so it wasn't that bad. Then I used it for big-picture concepts while studying from High-Yield.