SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I need a shoulder

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Joshua, Aug 24, 1999.

  1. Joshua

    Joshua Junior Member

    Aug 23, 1999
    Concord, NH U.S.A.
    I have worked my entire life to some day become an osteopathic physician, and I think I blew everything that I have worked so hard for in 8 easy hours this past saturday. I had a double ear infection, and was unable to comcentrate on the MCAT. So all of the experience, good grades, awards, just motives for pursuing medicine.... all lost. The worst part of it is, I already applied to a few schools. Now what? Do I withdraw my applications?
    Advice from successful applicants such as yourselves would mean a lot to me. 8 hours. Unbelievable. I studied for six months. I did all that I could. I know I did well on the science sections, but I don't feel comfortable about verbal. I was running a fever in the morning when I took it. Sigh....the horror.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. justwannabadoc

    justwannabadoc Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Jan 28, 1999
    Kirksville, MO
    Kind of silly to withdraw your applications before you even find out your score. Even afterwards, it would not benefit you. Schools are going to find out what you got on the MCAT if you reaaply so you might leave your applications active and hope for the best. If your score turns out poorly and you don't get in, just try again next year. If the rest of your file is good, you still might get the opportunity to explain your performance.
  4. Jim Henderson

    Jim Henderson 10+ Year Member

    Aug 22, 1999
    I studied for the MCAT for a year. After I took the MCAT, I KNEW I failed... I did fine.

    I studied for the USMLE Step 1 for 1 month. After I took the USMLE step 1, I THOUGHT I failed... I did fine.

    I studied for the USMLE Step 2 for 1 week. After I took it, I THOUGHT I passed... and did fine.

    I studied for the USMLE Step 3 for 1 day. After I took it I KNEW I passed... and did fine.

    It's so easy to ruminate over and over again about the questions missed, the questions you didn't have a clue about, the section not finished, the should haves and would haves... the problem is, it is a fact that people generally only remember the bad parts of tests... you can't tell how you did until you get the scores.

    Give it time, let the MCATs come back, and then re-evaluate the situation.

    Waiting is hell. Enjoy your senior year, have an ice cream cone, and every time you feel that darn test coming back to your head envision a big STOP sign and think of something else... it's the only way to survive a medical school career.

    And I know, it's easier said than done.

    Jim Henderson, MD of

    [This message has been edited by (edited August 24, 1999).]
  5. Henry

    Henry Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Dec 30, 1998
    Relax, the worst thing can happen is to retake the MCAT, which a lot of people did.
    I also agree that you should keep your application active until you receive the MCAT score. Don't panic. Think positive. If you give up so easily, you will never get to your destination. Remember, getting into medical school also require endurance.

  6. Paul's Boutique

    Paul's Boutique B====D 10+ Year Member

    Jul 18, 1999
    Pomona CA
    (see below) [​IMG]

    -PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

    "Never give in, never give in,
    never, never, never, never..."

    -Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

  7. Brad

    Brad Member 10+ Year Member

    Jul 28, 1999
    Lincoln,NE USA
    Welcome to a long and tortuous road. That's tough about the MCAT, but you truly can make this work in your favor. Apply this year. Don't even consider withdrawing your apps... however you may want to "add" a few schools with "lower" applicant expectations. If you did indeed blow the MCAT, then you already have the stage set for next year. You retake the MCAT, Rock The MCAT, apply all over again and play up your great improvement. Schools love to see significant improvement. As long as everything else is in order, you will be fine.

  8. crackheadbob

    crackheadbob New Member

    Aug 18, 1999
    The test is over and there is nothing you can do about that. I agree 100% with wannabadoc.......don't withdraw your application. If the grades are that bad, you can conact the school, explain what happened, and if need be, write a letter to the school explaining your predicament and ask for it to be put in you application folder. If the m-cats are the only thing thatr is hurting your chances, NYCOM may be an option. I know for a fact that in the case of certain students who they feel will make outstanding osteopaths, they will make exceptions and except them. If there is anything i can do just let me know.
  9. E Cartman

    E Cartman Junior Member

    Apr 15, 1999
    Hey Joshua,

    Don't worry about it now. I have heard countless stories of people who almost voided their tests at the end, only to learn 60 days later they had scored well. My personal experience is similar. I almost left during lunch this April. After feeling great about Verbal, I was certain I had made a 3 on Physics. It kicked my ass, and I was drained. A classmate of mine actually talked me into staying for the remainder of the test. Not only did I not make a 3 (made a 10 on PS), but my composite score was >30.

    Don't worry about. You may receive a wonderful surprise in October. I hope you do. Good luck, and keep working on those applications.
  10. 8404

    8404 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Feb 3, 1999
    dont fret over the MCAT. the test blows, but ya gotta take it. i gained acceptance with a 6 (a six for the love of God!) in the verbal section (which really blows) and marginally average scored in all other sections. as long as you are interesting enough to spark their interest, THEY WILL CALL.

Share This Page