I Need advice for my step 1 failures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProspectiveMeds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to retake Step 1 for a third time in April (school deadline). It is mid Jan 2013 now. I have been doing very poorly. My NBME scores reflect that as well. I don't know what I've been doing wrong or if something is wrong with me. After my first failure I added kaplan LN and a few videos. I did UW (timed tutor) wrote some key points into my first aid. Did UW again just the marked questions. Read my First Aid 3-4x. Read a few chapters of Golgan RR.

Now my back is against the wall, I have been studying on my own using all these sources but still no success. I need a review course at this point I believe. Considering PASS program in Illinois over Kaplan live prep.

My other choice is to give up now...

Your honest thoughts on what I should do at this point? Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you know why you're getting questions wrong? Is it because when you read a stem, you misdiagnose or misunderstand the point of the question? Or is it that you understand the point, but forget/mix up the answer? Those are only two very different and important ways to get a question wrong, and it's critical that you know how you keep getting questions wrong before you can start to get more of them right.