I need advice, nontraditional applicant with low gpa from non-science majoršŸ„²

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qj3434:)

Reaction score
Hello,
I just need some advice on what I should do because I feel like my chances of getting accepted into dental school is veryy low šŸ˜ž
I am an econ grad with low gpa (less than 3.0). I settled with econ in college because I had really low science gpa in my first quarter of sophomore and they said I couldnā€™t switch to science anymore. I was stuck choosing a major in the humanities department since I was undeclared. This really discouraged me and my asian pride would not let myself drop out of that current college just because I couldnā€™t do science, so I just picked a major in humanities and tried to finish with a degree (which I now regret). Part of the reason I got such low gpa in econ is because itā€™s just not what I want to major in, and I always think to myself how I couldā€™ve tried harder my first year of college. Anyway, the moment I graduated, I knew I wonā€™t be using that degree and wanted to pursue dentistry. Dentistry has always interest me so I knew if I do anything econ related for a living, I would hate it. I actually started taking science classes at an extension school, or basically a DIY postbacc, and was doing amazing at first. Then ofc covid hit, I was doing online classes, feeling unmotivated, and didnā€™t continue my straight Aā€™s streak. Iā€™ve been getting mostly Bā€™s but ofc I know thatā€™s not good enough for a post bacc. After covidā€™s quarantine ended, I started working as a dental assistant full time so that didnā€™t help my gpa situation either. Now I only have like 2 more labs I have to take left and Iā€™m sure I prob need alot more classes for my average gpa from both schools to be 3.0. I just feel so discourage, I was thinking about a Masterā€™s but I averaged out if I were to get a 4.0 for it with my econ gpa, I would still not have a 3.0ogpa. Any advice for my situation? Should I keep taking classes until i reach 3.0 avg, or focus on volunteering more,or do something to help me stand out? I also just took the DAT yesterday and got 17AA and TS so that discouraged me even more LOL, but I will be retaking for sure. Anyway, thank you for listening! Any tips or opinions helpā˜ŗļø

Current stats
DAT 17AA + TS, 18 PAT
GPA: I rather not say but itā€™s below 3.0 for BA and around 3.05 currently for diy post bacc (had 4 Cs from physics and ochem šŸ˜Ŗ), together I already have 200 units from both schools
Experiences: 1year and a half as a dental assistant
Volunteering: started volunteering at a childrenā€™s hospital but stopped due to covid, planning to do more volunteering
- English is also not my first language, I donā€™t know if this is a factor I can include in my app. in the future

Members don't see this ad.

Given your low DAT and TS it would be very helpful to score high on those given your circumstances and I would retake like you are planning and really strive for the highest score you can get. With your lower than 3.0 GPA some schools may auto-screen you out. I've heard on this forum that getting a master's degree would differentiate from your current GPA and be separate instead of a postbacc which is combined with your undergrad gpa. If you do well in your master's some schools would only look at that GPA instead. I'm a little confused what you mean by diy postbacc? Are the credits from an accredited university and would those credits count/transfer for pre-requisite requirements?

Given your low DAT and TS it would be very helpful to score high on those given your circumstances and I would retake like you are planning and really strive for the highest score you can get. With your lower than 3.0 GPA some schools may auto-screen you out. I've heard on this forum that getting a master's degree would differentiate from your current GPA and be separate instead of a postbacc which is combined with your undergrad gpa. If you do well in your master's some schools would only look at that GPA instead. I'm a little confused what you mean by diy postbacc? Are the credits from an accredited university and would those credits count/transfer for pre-requisite requirements?
Its at UCLA extension just post bacc but I can do it with a more flexible schedule than a set schedule and courses like a traditional post bacc would be. Also with the masters, I saw in a fb group that someone took a masters to improve their gpa but aadsas averaged out their gpa on the application, so when the school saw that the average didnā€™t make the cut off they rejected them. Which is why I wasnā€™t sure if the masters is worth :/

Last edited:
Its at UCLA extension just post bacc but I can do it with a more flexible schedule than a set schedule and courses like a traditional post bacc would be. Also with the masters, I saw in a fb group that someone took a masters to improve their gpa but aadsas averaged out their gpa on the application, so when the school saw that the average didnā€™t make the cut off they rejected them. Which is why I wasnā€™t sure if the masters is worth :/
Bottom line you will have to do major GPA repair to get yourself ready for dental school. You will get auto cut out from most schools as you are now.

This will likely take you a number of years and definitely a new DAT score. Only you can say if it is worth it but it will be a long journey before you can get in to dental school.

Reactions: 1 user