I need advice on how to make myself more competitive applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haneul Song

Reaction score
I'm currently an international student at American University. I began my bachelor's degree on 2018, biochem major, and finished Freshmen and Sophomore year with 4.0 GPA so far. I had to take 2 years of break to serve in the Korean Army. I'll be returning to school this fall semester of 2022 as Junior to finish my remaining two years of college. I've prepared myself a bit on DAT this summer; Bootcamp AA: 20-21, TS: 18, RC:17, QR:30, PAT: 25, GC:20, OC:18, Bio17. Also, I've done dental office shadowing outside the U.S. 50hrs and planning to do more during my Junior year along with some community services.

I'm planning to take real DAT this winter after strengthening my weaker sections. Please give me some realistic advice or point out some stuff that I need to take actions before Senior year to start applying for dental schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering is a big one, especially if you can assist at a local clinic for the underserved once a week or once a month

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely try to get your bio score/total science up as you are a bio/stem major, given you have a 4.0 they would most likely expect higher total science scores. And since you are an international applicant they will also want to see your RC score significant higher as well (21+ at least). You’d have to check with individual schools on what they expect for scores from international applicants, but I’ve seen some where it’s a 21RC minimum up to 23RC (but some might not have minimums so make sure to do your research!). I would try it practice more and find a strategy that works for you to help up your speed at finding and answering questions. I thought I had the least amount of time for RC compared to all the sections on the DAT so it was probably the most difficult section for me. Your PAT score is great!

I would try to also get some shadowing done in the US when you can, they’ll want to know that you’ve been in an American dental office and understand how they work, and you can use your experience outside the US as a way of making connections and concluding why you want to go to dental school here.
Keep up with the volunteering and shadowing and goodluck this year! Keep grinding and hustling.

Schools want to see a competitive RC score from international students. Some even require a TOEFL score if ESL. As mentioned above, focus on building shadowing hours in the states as international hours won't be too effective on you app.

Do you have plans to acquire greencard/citizenship in the near future?

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools want to see a competitive RC score from international students. Some even require a TOEFL score if ESL. As mentioned above, focus on building shadowing hours in the states as international hours won't be too effective on you app.

Do you have plans to acquire greencard/citizenship in the near future?
Greencard, probably after graduating a dental school.

I would definitely try to get your bio score/total science up as you are a bio/stem major, given you have a 4.0 they would most likely expect higher total science scores. And since you are an international applicant they will also want to see your RC score significant higher as well (21+ at least). You’d have to check with individual schools on what they expect for scores from international applicants, but I’ve seen some where it’s a 21RC minimum up to 23RC (but some might not have minimums so make sure to do your research!). I would try it practice more and find a strategy that works for you to help up your speed at finding and answering questions. I thought I had the least amount of time for RC compared to all the sections on the DAT so it was probably the most difficult section for me. Your PAT score is great!

I would try to also get some shadowing done in the US when you can, they’ll want to know that you’ve been in an American dental office and understand how they work, and you can use your experience outside the US as a way of making connections and concluding why you want to go to dental school here.
Keep up with the volunteering and shadowing and goodluck this year! Keep grinding and hustling.
Thank you for your kind reply! I would definitely consider your advices.