Nov 22, 2013
Miami, FL
Hello everyone! Well I recently applied to vetschool, and now I am wondering if I had made a big mistake because my GPA/ GRE scores were low. I am 30 years old, a non- traditional student, and I have been a vet tech for 8 years. My experience is estimated 10,000 hours small animal, and 1,300 zookeeper for dromedary camels, and other misc jobs. My ELOR were good, my boss even wrote he'd hire me when I'm out lol! But I feel because I've had to work ever since I was 16, I could never dedicate my self to the grades. The VMCAS said my science gpa was a 2.67 my math was a 3.0, and General was a 3.6 which avg me out to a 2.9 however, I retook science classes I did bad in and got better grades but I guess a lot of schools average them all together instead of giving you the best grade poss...? My GRe sucked also but I was a moron in my planning and like an idiot took it last min v: 142 math: 146 . Give it to me straight.... Did I waste my time and money? thank you for listening/ posting

OP
Muffinhead
Nov 22, 2013
Miami, FL
I applied to Oregon, virgina, kansas, miss, oklahoma, and iowa. That's all I could honestly afford. Iowa said " no, you suck, your science gpa is terrible" lol!!

ChittyBang

c/o 2018 hopeful
May 18, 2013
Westchester County, NY
Status
Pre-Veterinary
It will be tough to get into a school in the US, that's for sure. I'm an optimistic, so other factors - prereq course load, PS, eLors, other essays, etc - may have caught someone's eye. I really don't know. Sorry. Did you have the chance to meet with Admissions at any of your schools before applying? If so, were they encouraging?

I'm in my 30's, and my stats are lower than average due to my stupidity when I was younger, so I chose my schools purposefully and just have my fingers crossed. It's not easy to try to make up for past failures by showing that you're capable, disciplined, and motivated now, but it is possible. I hope so badly that I convincingly made my case...And I hope the same for you.

Just try to think positive and think of ways that you could improve for the next cycle should you need/want to apply again. Best of luck!

epivetlove

Texas A&M c/o 2018!
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
Some schools will take the higher of the two grades if you've retaken a course. Ohio State and Mississippi come to mind. If you've been doing well in your recent courses, you should look into schools that weigh Last 45 Hours more heavily (such as Kansas). It seems you've applied to two of the ones I've just mentioned, so there is hope yet! You will most likely need to retake the GRE if you are not accepted this cycle. Aiming for 75% is usually recommended and a higher Quantitative score will look better than a higher Verbal score (for most schools). For any schools that you do not get accepted to, definitely, definitely do a file review if possible. These can be immensely helpful as they will tell you where you stood against other applicants and what areas to target for the next cycle.

It'll be hard, but I wish you luck! I know what it's like to have lower stats. This is my first application cycle and I don't expect anything to come of it, but we just have to be hopeful. :)

Suomi

Oregon State CVM c/o 2017
Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Status
Veterinary Student
I can only speak for Oregon State. As far as your science GPA, that is quite low. Our entering class (Class of 2017) had a science GPA of around 3.5. Although OSU does take into account GRE scores, they don't appear to weigh as much. They just average out your percentages from your scores. If you're above around 55-60% average, you're probably okay. Unfortunately, the biggest problem for you that I can see is that OSU does not interview out-of-state applicants (if you're out of state), so all they have to judge you by is what is on paper. If you wrote a decent explanation statement, they see that you're grades improved for the classes you took again, and that your last 45 credits were high marks, you stand a chance at least. If you're in state, you may have a shot at an interview if they like some of the other positives of your application. I'm not sure if they have a strict cut off though for applicants who fall below a certain science GPA. They will look favorably on your veterinary hours (and they seem to love unique experiences, like the camels) though.
Good luck this cycle! If you have any questions about OSU, feel free to ask! Don't give up hope :)

OP
Muffinhead
Nov 22, 2013
Miami, FL
It will be tough to get into a school in the US, that's for sure. I'm an optimistic, so other factors - prereq course load, PS, eLors, other essays, etc - may have caught someone's eye. I really don't know. Sorry. Did you have the chance to meet with Admissions at any of your schools before applying? If so, were they encouraging?

I'm in my 30's, and my stats are lower than average due to my stupidity when I was younger, so I chose my schools purposefully and just have my fingers crossed. It's not easy to try to make up for past failures by showing that you're capable, disciplined, and motivated now, but it is possible. I hope so badly that I convincingly made my case...And I hope the same for you.

Just try to think positive and think of ways that you could improve for the next cycle should you need/want to apply again. Best of luck!
Thank you Chitty!! I hope We get lucky! I'm hopefully but it stinks when your being negative on your self/ especially when you see how well everyone else did. Thank you for your advice. Let's keep our fingers crossed

Reactions: ChittyBang
OP
Muffinhead
Nov 22, 2013
Miami, FL
I can only speak for Oregon State. As far as your science GPA, that is quite low. Our entering class (Class of 2017) had a science GPA of around 3.5. Although OSU does take into account GRE scores, they don't appear to weigh as much. They just average out your percentages from your scores. If you're above around 55-60% average, you're probably okay. Unfortunately, the biggest problem for you that I can see is that OSU does not interview out-of-state applicants (if you're out of state), so all they have to judge you by is what is on paper. If you wrote a decent explanation statement, they see that you're grades improved for the classes you took again, and that your last 45 credits were high marks, you stand a chance at least. If you're in state, you may have a shot at an interview if they like some of the other positives of your application. I'm not sure if they have a strict cut off though for applicants who fall below a certain science GPA. They will look favorably on your veterinary hours (and they seem to love unique experiences, like the camels) though.
Good luck this cycle! If you have any questions about OSU, feel free to ask! Don't give up hope :)
Thank you Suomi! I appreciate the advice I'm trying to be positive, but I'm also ready to run to the islands if I have too. I will be 31 next year and if I do get in I don't know if I want to wait. I really want to go to a U.S school. I guess we will see what happens. Thank you again! I wish you the best of luck in your studies!

OP
Muffinhead
Nov 22, 2013
Miami, FL
Some schools will take the higher of the two grades if you've retaken a course. Ohio State and Mississippi come to mind. If you've been doing well in your recent courses, you should look into schools that weigh Last 45 Hours more heavily (such as Kansas). It seems you've applied to two of the ones I've just mentioned, so there is hope yet! You will most likely need to retake the GRE if you are not accepted this cycle. Aiming for 75% is usually recommended and a higher Quantitative score will look better than a higher Verbal score (for most schools). For any schools that you do not get accepted to, definitely, definitely do a file review if possible. These can be immensely helpful as they will tell you where you stood against other applicants and what areas to target for the next cycle.

It'll be hard, but I wish you luck! I know what it's like to have lower stats. This is my first application cycle and I don't expect anything to come of it, but we just have to be hopeful. :)
thank you epivetlove! For your advice. I will keep my fingers crossed for you too! Good luck

Nov 5, 2012
Status
Veterinary Student
Welcome to SDN. :)

Everyone's given you great advice so far, I just wanted to pop in to recommend that you search the forum for the Accepted Applicant Stats threads, where people who are accepted each year will post their stats, experiences, and schools. They are super helpful to look at! There are plenty of non-trads, and sub 3.0 GPAers who've made it, myself included.

Good luck!

OP
Muffinhead
Nov 22, 2013
Miami, FL
Than
Welcome to SDN. :)

Everyone's given you great advice so far, I just wanted to pop in to recommend that you search the forum for the Accepted Applicant Stats threads, where people who are accepted each year will post their stats, experiences, and schools. They are super helpful to look at! There are plenty of non-trads, and sub 3.0 GPAers who've made it, myself included.

Good luck!
thank you too love! Everyone is so nice and helpful here. I want an admissions committee with all of you guys on it. I will def check out that forum and thank you for sharing your info. I does help! And makes me feel better. Thank you again!

that redhead

7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
At this point in the cycle, it really isn't worth analyzing whether or not it was a waste of time and money because you can't take it back. Ride out the cycle and re-evaluate as necessary. If you don't get in, make sure to research which schools will look more forgivingly on your stats and how each of those schools handles retakes.

Like toolove said, plenty of us around here have made it in with low stats - it can be done, just requires a bit more work than it might if you had more average stats. Good luck :luck:

Reactions: LetItSnow

LetItSnow

Skipping the light fandango
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2011
Plymouth, MN, USA
animaltracks.wordpress.com
Status
Veterinarian
At this point in the cycle, it really isn't worth analyzing whether or not it was a waste of time and money because you can't take it back. Ride out the cycle and re-evaluate as necessary. If you don't get in, make sure to research which schools will look more forgivingly on your stats and how each of those schools handles retakes.

Like toolove said, plenty of us around here have made it in with low stats - it can be done, just requires a bit more work than it might if you had more average stats. Good luck :luck:
Amen. I had a GPA of 0.0 at UMN in my undergrad days, and that's where I'm in vet school. Beat that for crappy stats. :)

(By the wonders of how they evaluate candidates, I was on the top of the academic heap rather than the bottom. It's ... amusing. Or ironic. Or something.)