I need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mystical_03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get volunteer experience for the past month, and so far, no luck. To all of you in California, where did you get your pharmacy experience from? Also, if you work at a pharmacy as a clerk or cashier, how did you get it? Did you have experience?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried looking at hospitals? Although I don't live in california so I can't exactly help you... but look at hospitals that allow volunteers - and be persistent!!! It took forever (2months) for my application to volunteer at a hospital to be completed... largely bcuz they just took forever getting everything done - and I was on their asses, calling everyday - reminding them to send out my background check etc... so keep calling and keep asking around. Also, general hospital volunteering will be good too if you can't find pharmacy ones. Maybe eventually they'll let you volunteer in a pharmacy.

I've also read around the forums and for california everyone recommend volunteering at kaiser. Theres should be clinics too? -- I hope that helps, a lil?

Right, be persistent. Also, dont just file the standard paper application and say "I'm done." Ask to speak to the PHARMACY manager, and if you cant, you simply scratch that pharmacy off of your list.

Try MOM and POP PHARMACIES, you know, those independent pharmacies that are not affiliated with chains. I bet the Mom and Pop shops wont turn any free help away.

Members don't see this ad :)
ADN1226 said:
Have you tried looking at hospitals? Although I don't live in california so I can't exactly help you... but look at hospitals that allow volunteers - and be persistent!!! It took forever (2months) for my application to volunteer at a hospital to be completed... largely bcuz they just took forever getting everything done - and I was on their asses, calling everyday - reminding them to send out my background check etc... so keep calling and keep asking around. Also, general hospital volunteering will be good too if you can't find pharmacy ones. Maybe eventually they'll let you volunteer in a pharmacy.

I've also read around the forums and for california everyone recommend volunteering at kaiser. Theres should be clinics too? -- I hope that helps, a lil?

If you live in the Bay Area, try Stanford Children's Hospital. I just got accepted there. I started work today, filing claims :thumbdown: . it was so boring.But the head pharmacist promised me she would take me on rounds this Friday to show me what she does. I'm so happy to finally find a place to volunteer. Yeah, as ADN1226 mentioned, the process takes about two months--orientation, background check, health clearance. Once you got all that completed, ask them to place you in the pharmacy. Also, try Alta Bates Hospital in Oakland, I heard the pharmacy there is accepting people too. Good luck

If your school has a pre-pharmacy advisor, you should check with him/her for shadowing opportunities. Also, definitely check with the regional Walgreens office. They can probably point you in the direction of some opportunities.

Good Luck,
Hipaa is going to be your problem in getting some behind the counter experience. That and your an unknown to the pharmacy. If some 18 year old kid came to me asking for volunteer experience I qould question the motive with today's kids. Almost every pharmacy periodical I have recieved in the last month has talked about 18 and lower age kids stealing meds from thier parents and either taking them or selling them.

Best way for you to get some behind the counter experience is to get a pharmacy to sponser you in getting you tech license.
DR

In Los Angeles, it isn't very difficult to find a job as a pharmacy clerk as long as you're persistent (like what someone already said). Just call a few of your local Savons (or CVS), Rite aid, Walgreens, etc and ask to speak with the pharmacy manager about openings.

If your school has a pre-pharmacy society, contact them for any job opportunities because at my school we periodically send emails to members.

As for volunteering in a hospital, they usually have long wait-lists so unless you know someone it'll be a little difficult to get a spot. So best bet is to call around because people are leaving for pharmacy school so openings should be popping up. Good Luck!

I was lucky to have a classmate who worked at a pharmacy and was looking for clerks. I sent in my resume and then forgot all about it. Then came application time and I realize that I didn't have ANY pharmacy-related experience and asked my classmate about the opening. I finally landed an "interview" with the pharmacist and got the pharmacy clerk position. Before this job, I didn't have any pharmacy related experience. I did, however, have customer service related experience, but what got me this job was my ability to speak another language. Since I live in Southern California, it's pretty important to be able to speak more than one language.

I agree with the volunteering at the independent pharmacies. We just got two new volunteers and, of course, having free help is always a plus for the pharmacist and I get to work with new people! :p

I imagine places like Savons and Rite-Aid and other retail stores probably don't take them. But what about small independent pharmacies? And I hear hospitals takes a month or longer before they take you in. You don't get an immediate response.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm just curious to know how many times I'm going to be rejected before someone will take me in as a volunteer. These are a lot of questions, but please answer as many as you can. I'd like to know your experience related to getting a position of volunteering.

I kept calling pharmacies that were within an hour to my house. I called over 20 of them and inquired about a job. I got one at one of the major chains. Just be super persistant.

As a pharmacist in CA - the privacy issues are your biggest stumbling block.

The fastest way, as someone posted, is to go to an independent pharmacy. Be willing to do anything! Clean the windows, do deliveries, whatever.... Look in your phone book. Also - google your area for compounding pharmacies - these are always independent. There are also "closed door" pharmacies which serve nursing homes, etc....

Hospitals will require a background check, TB testing & orientation.

Chain/retail pharmacies will often have to go thru corporate offices & can be influenced by either agreements with pharmacy or tech schools or union rules. My retail facility does not allow any volunteers at all.

Don't forget to try your student health service pharmacy. That pharmacist is often tuned to student issues.

Again...be persistant & patient. If you can volunteer in an acute or snf facility, be willing to go anywhere - transporter, gift shop, lab, whatever. Then you can stop by & befriend a pharmacist or tech who then might get you in.

Good luck & be patient!

So how many hourse did you guys volunteer a week?
And how long was the volunteer experience?

I currently work as pharmacy clerk at Savon pharmacy. I don't think they take volunteers, but they hire many clerks, especially at this time they need many clerks/cashiers. They are converting to CVS, so they need many people to help out. I heard the manager said that he will hire whoever apply. So just try to apply right now, many spots out there. good luck