• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.


It don't get no righter!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2003
Sleeping with the enemy
Status (Visible)
I am working on a painting and I am using a chinese symbol for the word "change". the problem is that a professor showed me the symbol, but when I checked a language translation website, the symbol was a little different, and I don't want to screw up the painting with the wrong symbol. does anybody know the proper symbol?

thank you,


Yellow Snow

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Pacific NW
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Look up the work "kawaru" or "kaeru", the symbol is the same and it means change. The "ka" is the symbol part, the rest will be written in hiragana.



SDN Moderator
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think the picture on your post is the painting you are talking about? I think the meaning will be obvious but you do need one more stroke - in the bottom half. See the post above.

Good luck!

Also, sometimes, the Chinese symbol is different from the Japanese kanji. So if you asked a Chinese professor, there may be a difference - or he wrote it freehand, which is not necessarily the most proper way of writing it.
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.