I need help with choosing a postbac. Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crieka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, I attended a JC, got 3.9 GPA. Transfer to UCLA, got 3.2. On my AMCAS app, the combine GPA was 3.54 with BCPM at 3.40 and A.O at 3.95. I got a 18P on the MCAT. Obviously, I had receive some rejections from med schools. Anyhow, I was researching for postbacs and stuff. I found Creighton, UCLA Rap, Havard Extension, SFSU, UCI and a few others. However, beside Creighton, I really don't know the success rate of the other programs and how they are like. Have you gone through any of these programs before, if you do, will you please share your experience? More importantly, my main question is which post bac program do you believe would fit well for me based on my stat? Anyone who has done some research on post bac may comment. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

So, if you've done all your pre-med requirements I would suggest doing an SMP (Special Master's Program), rather than doing a post-bac. This would give you a chance to take advance science level courses and show your scholastic aptitude (and also help on your MCAT).

However, with your GPA I think that if you got your MCAT score up, you would be all set in applying to med school.

crieka said:
okay, I attended a JC, got 3.9 GPA. Transfer to UCLA, got 3.2. On my AMCAS app, the combine GPA was 3.54 with BCPM at 3.40 and A.O at 3.95. I got a 18P on the MCAT. Obviously, I had receive some rejections from med schools. Anyhow, I was researching for postbacs and stuff. I found Creighton, UCLA Rap, Havard Extension, SFSU, UCI and a few others. However, beside Creighton, I really don't know the success rate of the other programs and how they are like. Have you gone through any of these programs before, if you do, will you please share your experience? More importantly, my main question is which post bac program do you believe would fit well for me based on my stat? Anyone who has done some research on post bac may comment. Thanks in advance.

i'm confused. :(

your grades are solid. your mcat is clearly low.

why do a MS program that will cost you 2 years (1 year for MS, 1 year for glide), when you can just retake the MCAT and save 1 year?

You have to retake the MCAT no matter what.... whether you do the MS program or not. Use the time to study for the MCAT.

My grades are lower than yours and I got a 19Q MCAT. I spent my time retaking it and got a sub-30 score. But I'm getting more interviews than the valevictorian of my class.

Members don't see this ad :)
theunderdog said:
My grades are lower than yours and I got a 19Q MCAT. I spent my time retaking it and got a sub-30 score. But I'm getting more interviews than the valevictorian of my class.

With low grades and sub-30, what's your secret?

Retake your MCAT and work part-time (at least) in some medically related lab. I know a friend who graduated from UCLA with the exact stats as yours and that is what she did. She was accepted at Loma Limda Med the following year.

crieka said:

I'll make this as simple as possible. Post-baccs usually serve one of two purposes:

1) Improve your undergraduate/science GPA.
2) Take your med school pre-requisites.

You do not need either of these - you just need a higher MCAT. Study your tail off for a few months while working at a hospital or shadowing and retake them - that's all. You do not need a SMP or post-bacc one bit - it will be a waste of time/energy/money.