I need help with school list please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtoBro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My advice is to apply to all the schools that you would actually like to go to. You may be surprised to hear back from some that you didn't think you could get into, both DO and MD alike. Yea, your MCAT is at the low end, but your GPA is high enough to offset the score a little. Add to the fact that you're URM and now you have a great app. You shouldn't have trouble getting a good number of interviews from both DO and MD schools. Don't look at the overall admission statistics that aamc gives, make sure you use the URM admissions stats. The relevant ones I posted for you below.

Avg. MCAT for Black/Hispanic matriculants last year is 27/28 (respectively); Avg. science GPA for Black/Hispanic matriculants is 3.33/3.49 (respectively)

85.7% of Black Applicants with a 3.8-4.0 total GPA and 24-26 MCAT were accepted in 2014
72.6% of Hispanic Applicants in the same category were accepted in 2014
Those are some pretty darn good odds if you ask me. Especially when you look at the same category for White/Asian applicants and its 32%/25%.

So yea, apply anywhere you want. You never know what you'll hear back. You should have a good shot at a lot of DO's, a lot of low tier MD's and a good amount of middle tier MD's as well. Bottom line is you don't want to be two years into med school and look back thinking you could have sent out a few more apps and be going to your dream school instead.

AAMC Stats
Table 19
Table 25-2
Table 25-1

Reactions: 1 user