I need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aljazera

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got 10 days to MCAT and my knowledge is spread out between subjects. Is it best to crash course and focus on reading all the TBR books that I have in 5 days (minus bio and verbal) then spend the last 5 days on taking full length tests and getting my timing down?

Material I have:

TBR full set
Kaplan 1-9 FL
Kaplan Sectionals
EK full set (intended on using it for Bio)
EK 1001 set

I was thinking, finish EK bio today, the whole book since it is review since i remember practically everything in bio (1 day). I've read TBR chem book 1, i just need to finish book 2 then do all the practice problems (2 days). Finish Physics 1 and 2 (just read electricstatic/magnetisim and electric currents) (2 days). Go over organic in 1 day (focus on SN1, 2 E1,2, aldol, some other high yielders); i'm good in organic. Then spend the next 4 days doing tests.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you done any tests yet? If not you should do AAMC 7, 8, 9, and 10. I would take a test in the AM then study new material in the PM. Review the entire exam the next AM, review your weaknesses. Continue review, then take a test the next day... rinse wash repeat.

Essentially taking one test every other day. You need to practice taking the test. Then focus on your weaknesses. If you know bio, then just read the red/orange highlights in EK bio and blaze through it as a refresher, you don't have time to dawdle if you haven't started practice exams yet.

So essentially, you are saying that I should just take practice tests and review them thoroughly.

I figured since I am weak in chemistry and physics that doing a rapid review would allow me to understand the explanations of the practice tests better.

P.S. I appreciate the input tremendously.

Have you done any tests yet? If not you should do AAMC 7, 8, 9, and 10. I would take a test in the AM then study new material in the PM. Review the entire exam the next AM, review your weaknesses. Continue review, then take a test the next day... rinse wash repeat.

Essentially taking one test every other day. You need to practice taking the test. Then focus on your weaknesses. If you know bio, then just read the red/orange highlights in EK bio and blaze through it as a refresher, you don't have time to dawdle if you haven't started practice exams yet.

Last edited:
So essentially, you are saying that I should just take practice tests and review them thoroughly.

I figured since I am weak in chemistry and physics that doing a rapid review would allow me to understand the explanations of the practice tests better.

P.S. I appreciate the input tremendously.

Well, normally I would say do the review first, but since you only have 10 days left if you do one exam every other day it puts you at 4 FL exams before your test date with one day off. Don't underestimate the day off before your exam either. It's important for your psychological well being on test day.

Anyway, I think you should do all the PS review you're talking about, but don't wait until you're done. You will learn from each practice exam as well, plus you'll allow yourself the opportunity to get your timing down and practice the writing sample. I think you will be ok, but this will be a tough 10 days for you. You will need to focus almost exclusively on subjects you don't feel comfortable in, so that you can try to gain a mastery of them before you go into the exam.

This is just my opinion though, so take what you think will work for you and forget the rest, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone that will recommend your other exams over the AAMC exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

Ya, i might devote 2 days to content review of the topics I don't know a lick about, because I was doing Kaplan 1 FL yesterday and there was a passage about electromagnetism i didn't know ish about. so i figured i must content review.

Thanks.

Ya, i might devote 2 days to content review of the topics I don't know a lick about, because I was doing Kaplan 1 FL yesterday and there was a passage about electromagnetism i didn't know ish about. so i figured i must content review.

Dude, I thought I was cutting it close on content review for my MCAT, but you're really putting yourself between a rock and a hard place. Depending on your practice scores you might want to consider deciding in advance to void your exam if you get X number of topics you are not very clear on. I personally rushed my PS review and I think it might have cost me on my MCAT. I don't know what I got yet, but I know it's nowhere near as good as it would have been if I waited until August or Sept to take, but I still was ahead of you content review-wise. I think when you're testing you should really be evaluating your MCAT options.

Whats so bad about getting a low score and taking it again, only to improve.

Dude, I thought I was cutting it close on content review for my MCAT, but you're really putting yourself between a rock and a hard place. Depending on your practice scores you might want to consider deciding in advance to void your exam if you get X number of topics you are not very clear on. I personally rushed my PS review and I think it might have cost me on my MCAT. I don't know what I got yet, but I know it's nowhere near as good as it would have been if I waited until August or Sept to take, but I still was ahead of you content review-wise. I think when you're testing you should really be evaluating your MCAT options.

I'm really lacking, guess I will decide on voiding and spending the next day continuing content review for the later date.

thats what happens when you get your mcat news from Aljazeera. the mcat needs preparation. not 10 days of cramming.

I'm really lacking, guess I will decide on voiding and spending the next day continuing content review for the later date.

Yeah, definitely don't stop studying. It sounds like you're halfway there with the Physical Sciences. You should show up and take the exam to at the very least get a feel for the real deal, but I would start practicing with your other material if you are giving serious consideration to voiding. That way you can save the AAMC's for right before the date you "know" is going to count for you.

I think if you study through this month and next you would be solid for a really good score come September. I know it's later than most would like, but it's just more realistic considering your circumstances.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck.