Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I need major help with pharmacokinetics

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by pharmacychic01, Nov 22, 2005.

1. pharmacychic01

pharmacychic01 Junior Member

Hello, I'm a second year pharmacy school studentand I need some major help with my pharmacokinetics class. If anyone can help, please respond. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GravyRPH

GravyRPH Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What exactly are you looking for?

4. pharmacychic01

Can I fax you a couple of questions?

5. pharmacychic01

13. For the drug, vancomycin, which statement is true?
    a. The drug will not normally passively cross the apical or basolateral side of an electrolyte because it has too many ionizing groups.
    b. The drug when taken orally can be used to treat systemic infections in high doses.
    c. THe drug if unionized can be absorbed, as large MW(molecular weight) unionized substances can permeate phospholipids bi-layer.
    d. Drug could undergo vesicular absorption like the Phyronadione, Cholecalciferol and alpha-tocopheryl
    e. The drug's volume of distribution follong IV should should be similar to the higher MW Inulin because the have the same physicochemical properties.

19. Penicillin is a compound that is acid labile, and is therefore taken on an empty stomach. Which would not be an expected role of the MMC in absorption of penicillin V(salt or not)?
    a. increase the rate of absorption of penicillin V emulsions
    b. increase the rate of absorption of Penicillin V tablets
    c. increase the extent of absorption of penicillin V emulsions
    d. increase the extent of absorption of penicillin V tablets

24. For a drug with medium extraction ratio like Aspirin(between 0.3 and 0.7), and is inserted into the rectum ( right), what can be said?
    a. bioavailibilty is influenced by 2/3 rds of the rectal area.
    b. boavailability is influenced by 1/3 of the rectal area.
    c. bioavailibilty will be enhanced by a large enough increase in splanchnic blood flow
    d. a&c
    e. b&c

28. Which would seem most incorrect?
    a. Urinary acidification ******s excretion of weak acids and administration of sodium bicarbonate IV would cause aspirin to be extracted from the CNS into the plasma and decrease aspirin reabsorpiton in the kidney.
    b. Aspirin absorption is ******ed by parasympatholytic drugs despite the fact that the stomach is more acidic.
    c. Cisapride reduces the reserve length of aspirin
    d. Acids are absorbed faster in the intestine than in the stomach, apparently contradicting the hypothesis that un-ionized drug more readily crosses all membranes. The apparent contraindication is explained by the larger surface area and greater permeability of the intestinal epithelium.
    e. all are correct

34. Estimate how much acetaminophen is eliminated (mg) through the liver after 2 hr if 350 mg of a 975 mg dose is found excreted unchanged into urine at 7 half-lives, assuming one-compartment, and Kel is equal to 0.09625 hr -1?
    a. 23.4 mg
    b. 33.7 mg
    c. 61.3 mg
    d. 65.1mg
    e. 170.7 mg

40. What is true?
    a. If renal blood clearance for a drug (methicillin) is 567 ml/min, indicates secretion
    b. renal clearance is constant if urine concentration is independent of urine flow
    c. the extraction ratio for the drug( methicillin) is 0.1
    d. a&b
    e. a,b, &c

42. For multiple IV bolus injection one can state
    (select the correct statements, can be all of the above)
    1 an increase in the Dm will increase the average steady state concentration
    2 an increase in the Dm will increase the trough concentration
    3 an increase in the TBC might necessitate a reduction of the patient's dosing interval
    4 a reduction in the Tau will reduce fluctuation
    5 a reduction in the Tau will increase peak levels observed at steady state

43. What is the fraction of Depakene bound in tissue if the about Vd is 9 L, and it is highly bound to tissue (F ut = .07)
    a. 3%
    b. 7%
    c. 37.7%
    d. 63.3%
    e. 79.3%

46. 200 mg of the Drug is given orally as a tablet. There are two different formulations of the tablet available which differ in the rate with which the talets disintegrate. Pharmacokinetic studies have shown that the corresponding ka of tablet A is 3.0 hr-1 while that of tablet B is 0.01 hr-1. Both tablets contain the same amount of drug, and shows a kel vaue of 0.3 hr-1 after IV Bolus administration of the drug. Which are true?

a. Tmax after administration of tablet A will be greater than tmax observed after aeministration of Tablet B
    b. Cmax after administration of Tablet A will be greater than Cmax observed after IV bolus administration of the same dose
    c. Cmax after administration of Tablet B will be greater the Cmax observed after IV bolus administration of the same dose.
    d. a&b
    e. all are true

47. Which is false about the question above?
    a. The AUC observed after administration of tablet B will be larger than that obsserve after administtration of Tablet A ( assume that drug from both tablets is fully absorbed)
    b. The correct kel value of drug can be obtained from the terminal phase of the concentration time profile observed after tablet A was administered.
    c. THe correct kel value of drug can be obtained from the terminal phase of the concentration time profile observed after tablet B was administered.
    d. a&c
    e. all are false

48. Two grams of a drug was given twice daily to a 65 kg patient. If the VD is 26.2 L/ 100 kg and the clearance time is 116.4 ml/min per 70 kg, and clearance renal is 82.2 ml/ min per 70 kg,
    a. Maximum steady state plasma concentration_______________________
    b. Plasma levels 12 hours after the last dose, assuming SS(steady state) is achieved______________________________________-
    c. Average amount in the body during and after achieving the steady state levels__________________________________________
    d. Total amount eliminated per dosing interval at SS______________________
    e. Total amount eliminated as metabolites per dosing interval at plateau____________________________________
    f. Time to reach 60% of the average SS plasma concentration________________________________________________
    Thank you!

6. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  7. Sustiva

Sustiva Member
    5+ Year Member

pharmacychic- do you go to MCP Boston??

8. pharmacychic01

I go to Florida A& M University. I actually transferred recently here from Xavier University's College of Pharmacy because of Hurricane Katrina.

9. npage148

npage148 Senior Member
    PhD Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Man, I would fail that test. Some of those are pretty complicated. I guess ive forgotten my pk stuff i learned teh last 2 year