I need some advice about applying to medical school as a DPT student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dptstudent2018!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th semester DPT student (almost 2 years to go), and I've known for a long time that I want to be more involved in patient care, LOVE science, and want to challenge myself more but I have been scared to pull the trigger until now. I plan to leave my PT program after this semester (in good academic standing). I am now begining to study for the MCAT, which I will shoot to take in late April and apply to medical school in June. So I really want to know what are my chances? Here are my stats:
Biomedical science major - Overall GPA 4.0 with all prereqs taken
4.0 PT school GPA
Volunteering hours/shadowing not great at all, but I will do my best to improve them before June.
MCAT obviously not taken yet, and I know a lot will depend on that.
Another concern I have is where to get my LOR from? I may could reach out to my undergrad professors (if they even remember me). I have a couple of PT professors that I really trust and I believe would write me great LOR's.
I just need some guidance here. I'm the 1st in my family to complete a bachelor's, and i'm pretty lost in this process and would really love some good advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

so your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA are both flat 4.0s?

kill the MCAT and you probably won't be screened out due to stats in that case.

I think the biggest hurdle you'll have is writing a convincing personal statement and explaining why the transition. you'll most likely get a lot of questions on why now, how you know this is the path for you, and how will schools know that you won't just bail again. when interviews come around, that'll be a really important area of explanation as well.

I recommend shadowing just to make sure you know what you're getting into and to demonstrate relevant immersion. plus getting an lor won't hurt either.

most schools will require letters from science professors, some non-science. certain programs will let you substitute from employers or others if you've been out of school for a while, but you should do your research for each school. I assume you don't have a committee letter, so getting each school's specific letter requirements right will just take some legwork.