I need some advice in applying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefloats7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm currently a junior studying Exercise Science. I'm going to be applying for PT school this fall.
With a cumulative GPA: 3.59
Pre-req GPA: 3.29

I have over 100 hours of shadowing in many different clinics in outpatient, home care, and rehabilitation clinics within a hospital and hoping to get inpatient shadowing this summer. I'm also going to be taking the GRE in a month.

I have a pretty extensive list of extracurriculars including honors college, academic fraternity, community service, etc.

I was just wondering what anyone thinks my chances are of getting into a school- ANY school? At this point I'm getting more and more anxious about my GPA.. With a higher GRE score would that help, or is my GPA just going to inevitably kill my chances?

Thanks so much for you input and time! It's really appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA looks good to me. A high GRE will definitely help. If you already have solid volunteer and shadow experience, focus on writing a strong personal essay (have lots of people, especially PT's, look at it) and getting strong LOR's. Lastly, because of how PTCAS works, you should apply early and often (by that I mean more than just your top schools) to give yourself the best chance for an interview invitation.

Oh ok! Thank you so much for that! I will definitely focus on those things, I've just heard about GPA weed outs and people being wait listed with higher GPAs than me so I've gotten nervous.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also hoping to apply this fall as well and have a question regarding pre-requisites. Some schools specify certain pre-reqs completed at the time of application, but most of the schools I want to go to just say have them all done by the spring term before PT school starts. I will be taking chem and physics in the fall when I apply and the last spring I will have the second part of chem, physics, and maybe a biology course. I was wondering if I should still try and apply now or wait? With budget cuts at school there is a chance that I may not get all the classes I need anyways, but I am taking the GRE next month, have a solid GPA over 3.5 and still have about 8 classes total to get my degree when I start the fall semester. Any input would help on how many classes you have left when you apply and if schools may reject me because I have these science classes left in the spring? Also, I work as an ortho outpatient aide and have plenty of observation hours in the inpatient setting. Thanks guys!

You'll have to check the websites of the schools that you are interested in as each school differs on how many pre-reqs they will allow uncompleted at the time you submit your application. However, from what I have seen it is going to be tough finding schools that allow this many open pre-reqs (most seem to accept a couple), especially in the core science courses.

Hey Hope
I had very similar stats to you with an 1180 on the GRE.. I too was nervous about my gpa. I applied to 12 schools this year, got declined by 3, accepted to 3, and wait listed at 4 ( pulled the other 2 apps). Since then I have been offered spots at 3 of the 4 schools I was wait listed at..and I only applied to pretty top notch schools.. Long story short... Gpa is not everything! If you have good letters of recommendation, a variety of observation hours, and a solid essay you will be fine!!! Good luck:)

Ok thanks for the encouragement! I'll need to apply close to my home to not top notch, but very well respected, schools! Congratulations, by the way. That's so exciting! I wish you all the best :)