I need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm in the process of improving my application for PT school. My GPA from undergrad was pretty bad due to changing majors, anxiety issues, and a death in the family affected my GPA. I applied to five schools last year and I got rejected, so I need some advice how to improve my chances.

Here are my stats from the first time I applied so far including retakes right now:
PTCAS cGPA: 2.68 (GPA will update when I apply again)
PRE-REQ GPA: 3.33-3.80 (GPA ranges including retakes)
SCIENCE GPA: 2.19 (GPA will update when I apply again)
A&P 1: D,C,A
A&P 2: B
BIO 1: B
BIO 2: B
CHEM 1: C, A
CHEM 2: C
PHYSICS 1: B
PHYSICS 2: C, (currently retaking the class now and have an A in so far)
DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCH: D,C,A
ABNORMAL PSYCH: C
GENERAL PSYCH: B
STATS: C, A
ENGLISH: A

GRE: 279
Verbal: 133
Quantitative: 146
AW: 4.0

Observation hours: 222 hours in Outpatient, Inpatient, Sports Medicine, Nursing homes, Geriatrics
-Currently working as a Rehab Tech at an Outpatient Orthopedic and Sports Medicine

Please message me!
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It would be easier for you to apply to schools that look only at the grades for the last 60 (or whatever # it may be) units you took. Your pre-reqs are pretty good, so you should get accepted to schools that do not consider your long history of GPA. Also, if you cannot increase your GRE score, apply to schools that do not require GRE.
I am not sure how calculation of your GPA with re-takes is made... My undergrad GPA was close to 2.9 (my major had nothing to do with sciences so I did not retake any classes from my undergrad). My pre-reqs GPA (around 60 units worth) was about 3.7-3.8 which raised my overall GPA only to 3.1 (maybe a little less). My GRE was always low too (could not make it above 195). So when I applied to schools 1st time, I got rejected by all 3 since I did not choose the school wisely enough (they were just out of my league). The 2nd time I applied to 3 schools (1 the same, 2 different) and got accepted to all of them. Not mainly due to my GPA and GRE changes (those changes were really minor) but because I now picked schools that had higher acceptance rate, lower GRE requirements, and they were not prioritizing overall GPA or did not look at it at all.
You can contact schools and ask them what they consider most important in applications and what they are more flexible about. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user