I need some advice

C

Citrusxoxo

Hey Guys,
    I am a little new to board. I have a few questions. They may seem a little silly to some people but I am very new to this all.

1. I want to do volunteer work and research. What types of research should I do? Or yet, do we do the research at school? What do they mean by I need "research." Just a little confused.

2. I would like to obtain my pharmacy technician licenses. How do you go about doing that? I know they a lot of these tech school have pharmacy technician programs. However, I cannot do the tech program and go to a university. Do you guys suggest an online course? Why types of courses do you need to obtain a license?

Thanks!
    *~*eMiLy*~*

I am full of questions tonight. Maybe its because its Saturday night and im on SDN :D :D :oops: :idea: :thumbup:

calrx

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Oct 22, 2005
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      1. I want to do volunteer work and research. What types of research should I do? Or yet, do we do the research at school? What do they mean by I need "research." Just a little confused.

You have a couple of options. Here's what I did:

1. Many universities offer summer research programs. You have to apply, send your transcripts, write a personal statement indicating why you're interested in research, and get letters of recommendation, so it can be a pain in the butt... but TOTALLY worth it! I spent the summer before my senior year doing research in a neuropathology lab at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. I was there for 9 weeks, was provided housing, and got paid a decent stipend. It was really neat because it gave me the opportunity to work on a real, hands-on project in a professional lab. There were also days when I would go and watch brain slicing demonstrations, shadow doctors, and attend tumor board meetings with my lab. At the end of the summer there was a big poster session where I had to present my research. This type of research experience looks very impressive on a resume too. At my 1st pharmacy school interview, my interviewer was really intrigued by the fact that I took it upon myself to do something like this.

2. You can do research at your college with a professor, usually for college credit. Where I went to school, they called it "Directed Study in Biology" (you should also be able to do it in chem, physics, etc). I approached my Microbiology professor and told him I was interested in getting involved in a research project and he was really excited to help me. I ended up working with him for 2 semesters on a project involving antibiotic resistant bacteria.

There might be other ways to get involved, but those are my recommendations. Both experiences turned out to be worthwhile and I learned something very important- I NEVER want to do research for a living. :p

Good Luck!! Hopefully some other people will post their research experiences so you can get a better feel for your options.

C

Citrusxoxo

calrx said:

You have a couple of options. Here's what I did:

1. Many universities offer summer research programs. You have to apply, send your transcripts, write a personal statement indicating why you're interested in research, and get letters of recommendation, so it can be a pain in the butt... but TOTALLY worth it! I spent the summer before my senior year doing research in a neuropathology lab at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. I was there for 9 weeks, was provided housing, and got paid a decent stipend. It was really neat because it gave me the opportunity to work on a real, hands-on project in a professional lab. There were also days when I would go and watch brain slicing demonstrations, shadow doctors, and attend tumor board meetings with my lab. At the end of the summer there was a big poster session where I had to present my research. This type of research experience looks very impressive on a resume too. At my 1st pharmacy school interview, my interviewer was really intrigued by the fact that I took it upon myself to do something like this.

2. You can do research at your college with a professor, usually for college credit. Where I went to school, they called it "Directed Study in Biology" (you should also be able to do it in chem, physics, etc). I approached my Microbiology professor and told him I was interested in getting involved in a research project and he was really excited to help me. I ended up working with him for 2 semesters on a project involving antibiotic resistant bacteria.

There might be other ways to get involved, but those are my recommendations. Both experiences turned out to be worthwhile and I learned something very important- I NEVER want to do research for a living. :p

Good Luck!! Hopefully some other people will post their research experiences so you can get a better feel for your options.

Wow, Thank you so much for this advice. It really means alot. Im going to print this out so I can refer back to it..Thanks so much :)

*~*eMiLy*~* :love: :D :oops: :) ;)

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.