I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Citrusxoxo

Hey Guys,
I am a little new to board. I have a few questions. They may seem a little silly to some people but I am very new to this all.

1. I want to do volunteer work and research. What types of research should I do? Or yet, do we do the research at school? What do they mean by I need "research." Just a little confused.

2. I would like to obtain my pharmacy technician licenses. How do you go about doing that? I know they a lot of these tech school have pharmacy technician programs. However, I cannot do the tech program and go to a university. Do you guys suggest an online course? Why types of courses do you need to obtain a license?

Thanks!
*~*eMiLy*~*

I am full of questions tonight. Maybe its because its Saturday night and im on SDN :D :D :oops: :idea: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

1. I want to do volunteer work and research. What types of research should I do? Or yet, do we do the research at school? What do they mean by I need "research." Just a little confused.

You have a couple of options. Here's what I did:

1. Many universities offer summer research programs. You have to apply, send your transcripts, write a personal statement indicating why you're interested in research, and get letters of recommendation, so it can be a pain in the butt... but TOTALLY worth it! I spent the summer before my senior year doing research in a neuropathology lab at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. I was there for 9 weeks, was provided housing, and got paid a decent stipend. It was really neat because it gave me the opportunity to work on a real, hands-on project in a professional lab. There were also days when I would go and watch brain slicing demonstrations, shadow doctors, and attend tumor board meetings with my lab. At the end of the summer there was a big poster session where I had to present my research. This type of research experience looks very impressive on a resume too. At my 1st pharmacy school interview, my interviewer was really intrigued by the fact that I took it upon myself to do something like this.

2. You can do research at your college with a professor, usually for college credit. Where I went to school, they called it "Directed Study in Biology" (you should also be able to do it in chem, physics, etc). I approached my Microbiology professor and told him I was interested in getting involved in a research project and he was really excited to help me. I ended up working with him for 2 semesters on a project involving antibiotic resistant bacteria.

There might be other ways to get involved, but those are my recommendations. Both experiences turned out to be worthwhile and I learned something very important- I NEVER want to do research for a living. :p

Good Luck!! Hopefully some other people will post their research experiences so you can get a better feel for your options.

calrx said:

You have a couple of options. Here's what I did:

1. Many universities offer summer research programs. You have to apply, send your transcripts, write a personal statement indicating why you're interested in research, and get letters of recommendation, so it can be a pain in the butt... but TOTALLY worth it! I spent the summer before my senior year doing research in a neuropathology lab at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. I was there for 9 weeks, was provided housing, and got paid a decent stipend. It was really neat because it gave me the opportunity to work on a real, hands-on project in a professional lab. There were also days when I would go and watch brain slicing demonstrations, shadow doctors, and attend tumor board meetings with my lab. At the end of the summer there was a big poster session where I had to present my research. This type of research experience looks very impressive on a resume too. At my 1st pharmacy school interview, my interviewer was really intrigued by the fact that I took it upon myself to do something like this.

2. You can do research at your college with a professor, usually for college credit. Where I went to school, they called it "Directed Study in Biology" (you should also be able to do it in chem, physics, etc). I approached my Microbiology professor and told him I was interested in getting involved in a research project and he was really excited to help me. I ended up working with him for 2 semesters on a project involving antibiotic resistant bacteria.

There might be other ways to get involved, but those are my recommendations. Both experiences turned out to be worthwhile and I learned something very important- I NEVER want to do research for a living. :p

Good Luck!! Hopefully some other people will post their research experiences so you can get a better feel for your options.

Wow, Thank you so much for this advice. It really means alot. Im going to print this out so I can refer back to it..Thanks so much :)

*~*eMiLy*~* :love: :D :oops: :) ;)

Citrusxoxo said:
Wow, Thank you so much for this advice. It really means alot. Im going to print this out so I can refer back to it..Thanks so much :)

*~*eMiLy*~* :love: :D :oops: :) ;)

No problem! Glad I could help ya! :D