Step I I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The Angriest Bird

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry for over-posting recently. I appreciate you bearing with me.

I have attached my study schedule step1.xls

In a nutshell, I'm using the following mainstream books

- HY Behavior, HY Anatomy, HY Neuroanatomy, HY Embryology, HY Cell Bio
- RR Biochemistry
- BRS Physiology
- BRS Pathology
- K&T Pharm
- Micro Made R Simple
- First-Aid
- BRS Pharm Cards

- USMLE World
- Kaplan QBank

So far I'm okay. If I continue to do what I'm doing, I will actually finish all of them. I read each book, annotate, highlight, skim again, and attempt to memorize all. I do all questions as unused-timed. I score about 50-60% on UW and around 65% on Kaplan.

The problem is: I haven't taken an NBME yet.

My plan is to take an NBME two days before the exam, and spend last day on short-term memory stuffs (pharm cards, immunology...). One forum member told me NOT to take NBME within 3-4 days before, because your score won't change and it will freak out if you do bad.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I Stick to my schedule or
2) Take NBME tomorrow instead, see where I am, and push back everything by 1 day (I hate to do this because I hate to get questions wrong because I haven't studied the topic yet)
3) ANYTHING you want to contribute

🙂 MANY MANY THANKS! 🙂
​


 

Attachments

I'm in a little different boat, since I took #3 already, but I was thinking of taking another 6 days out. I don't know. What I would not do however, is take one, what, 2 days before? Don't do that. Many people use NBME's as a diagnostic, so let's assume they are useful as that (prolly debatable). You essentially have an unbreakable appointment with the Reaper; don't get an HIV test right before you go. Yeah, maybe you pass with flying colors. But it'd be a long, useless day and a half if you don't.

Just my .02.
 
I do NOT see a point of taking a NBME 2 days out, unless you are terribly worried of either failing or not getting the score you desperately want, whatever that is - and if failing the thing/not getting the score will make you pony up the 100 bucks to change your exam date. I would def not do that. If you want to take one sooner and tack on a couple more hours of study for that day (it IS 4 hrs only), then you could do that, or just not take one at all. The only real point of them is to see if you'll pass/fail (and i use that loosely, to some their 'pass' might be a 230).