I Need Some Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samishontae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I’m in need of some guidance. I graduated a year ago with a B.S in chemistry and the obvious intent of going to pharmacy school. However, the first year and a half of college was awful academically. I made C’s and D’s in all of my major classes. I had no idea how to study and only passed on memorization. Nevertheless, I began to pick myself up and my grades improved. Not to all A standards, but B and occasional C standards. I also took all of the classes I made D’s in over for better grades.
After all of this, I graduated with only about a 2.7 cGPA. I decided to take and retake more classes at a local community college to satisfy most of pre- reqs, where I again made A’s and B’s. My cGPA now is at about 3.1 and I =m planning to take two more classes. BIO, and Econ. At this time I have two C’s on my transcript for major classes
Other than academics, I have been employed at two pharmaceutical companies as well as a pharmacy. My volunteer hours have been minimal but I’m trying to increase that. I have also taken the PCAT once and I was absolutely horrible!!!!!!!
For my application process, I intend to focus on my determination, and how I “picked myself up” from D’s to A’s and B’s. It’s obvious to see from my transcript the turning point in my academic career. Also, my senior year of college, I was in a horrible car accident that left me unable to walk(temporarily) , and prevented me from going to school. However, I decided that it was not going to prevent me from graduating. I can back to school during midterm week in a wheel chair and successfully complete my year with A’s and B’s for final grades.
I know my STATS are far from the best. But I was hoping to shoot for fairly new private school at least.
I just wanted to get a feel for where I fit into the pharmacy plan right now. What do you all think of my portfolio thus far? What are my chances? What other things should I focus on? Any helpful hints for PCAT studying (my biggest hurdle). Anything would be helpful to me at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Your current cGPA looks pretty good actually, and the fact that you've really turned it around academically shows that you're dedicated and that you're willing to work hard. Also, your experience in pharmaceutical shows that you know what you're getting into so you'd be a pretty good applicant at your current state.
For now, I'd focus on acing any classes you still need to take/retake and focus your energy on the PCAT and some extracurricular if you feel that's going to help you. As for PCAT, I really recommend studying from Dr.Collin's package. It really narrows down the information you need to know and an overall good source to study from. Also brush up more on Physiology and General Biology and some basic calculus. Take maybe a free Kaplan practice before the actual test so you get a feel of the actual test. If you need anymore advice for the PCAT, the PCAT subforum is extremely helpful.

As for advice on application, apply early, write a good personal statement that shows why pharmacy is the right career for you (why you worked so hard for it). Research the schools you're interested in/schools you have a fair shot in and practice for interviews. Your stats aren't bad at all, be confident :) You've really worked hard and the trend in your GPA will show that.

I agree with trangtn. Your stats are not bad at all. If you use Dr. Collins and practice time management, you will do well in the PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
For Amicale Angora: My PCAT score was BAD!!!!!!! I didn't even keep the results. But from what I remember, scored in the -Teen (13th) percentile on most everything. My highest score was maybe around 30 on the verbal section.

For Amicale Angora: My PCAT score was BAD!!!!!!! I didn't even keep the results. But from what I remember, scored in the -Teen (13th) percentile on most everything. My highest score was maybe around 30 on the verbal section.
If it's that low, I really recommend getting Dr. Collins PCAT prep guide. Although I didn't do as bad as you (had 70s on most scores) after studying with Dr. Collins, I had 90+ in bio, and chem and 85+ in math (however, reading was still not pretty lol...)
Anyways, don't give up, many schools pay attention to the last +2 years of school to see your grade trends. If it went up, it shows that you have dedication and had a change of heart. However, you really need to do something about that PCAT score. Good luck! Always believe in yourself and you will get there someday!