I need some info!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student02

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about scholarship that military offers? If I accepted it how many years would I have to work in military after graduation? And is it worth it to work in military several years instead of working in my own office? I just hate to borrow that much money, but I really want to go to dental school!

Members don't see this ad.

I just talked to the army recruiter out of St. Louis this morning. Right now they are offering a 1 for 1 deal. For every year that they pay for your school you owe them one year of work. As a first year student (me, entering August 2002) I am only eligible for the 4 year deal. Sophomores are eligible for the 3 year deal. Juniors, two, seniors 1. You can't get the anything but 4 years if you haven't already started dental school. Its not a bad deal but 4 years is a long time. They pay 100% of tuition, a book stipend, instruments & tools, and $1050 a month (that's a lot of money), for as he put it "housing, booze, and women".

To be eligible you have to spend a day at an Army H.Q., where you will have a physical, etc... You also have to be chosen, I think that if you have a 3.50 GPA or above, or a 19 DAT you are guaranteed. If you don't have those stats you also have a chance to be chosen. You have to submit your transcripts, an application, and i think he said letters of Rec.
They accept about 53 for the 4 year deal. But you can go to any school you want, at any cost. He said that they are meeting on Jan 31st, and its too late to apply for that meeting, but I can, and you can too, apply for the Feb 28th meeting.

This deal goes for the Army, but the Navy and AirForce are similar.

After 4 years you can do the AEGD thru your dental school at a Army base, which will count as 1 of the 4 years. Also if you have time in the summers you have to go to San Antonio TX, and go thru some training.

Overall not a bad deal. I think that I might wait a year or two (4 years is just too long) and try to get one of the 2 or 3 year deal. But there is less of these (i think only like a dozen of each). I think that it is good, b/c you get the practice you need, and you build up your speed without the overhead cost.

I hope this helps, here is the St. Louis number, they should be able to find the phone # in Georgia (they hooked me up with the one in Chicago).

Lastly, you have to keep a B average in dental school, so no slacking off.

St. Louis:: 314-739-7668
Chicago:: 847-541-3429

Steiner19er

Man, did i write alot. Anyways where are you going? That is if you have been accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
My endodontist went into the military after getting his DDS. He told me that each dental school has its strengths and weaknesses in the various departments. At the particular time he graduated, orthodontics and peridontics were the weaker departments at his school. He said the great thing about being a new dentist in the military was that he and his peers were able pick each others brains and techniques and thus quickly make up for the weak areas each had been subjected to at their respective dental schools. Makes good sense to me.

Hi sleiner19er,
Thank's so much for all this info!!!!!!!!!!
I'm only in undergrad yet, and I'm just trying to find as much info about dental schools and scholarships as I can. Thank's again!!!!