I need some suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mstoothlady2012

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transfered to 4-yr uni last yr & i do not know many professors yet....I am takin 2 science classes during summer so i am planning to get my LOR from them (org & micro)....because of that d-schools won't have my LOR until August...So should i just get the LOR from Community college prof (chem II) & turn it in now? or wait for 4-yr uni prof & turn it in in Aug?which one would be better?

i already turned in 3 LORs 1 bio II prof(community college), 1 dentist & 1 employer (pharmacist)

Members don't see this ad.

I transfered to 4-yr uni last yr & i do not know many professors yet....I am takin 2 science classes during summer so i am planning to get my LOR from them (org & micro)....because of that d-schools won't have my LOR until August...So should i just get the LOR from Community college prof (chem II) & turn it in now? or wait for 4-yr uni prof & turn it in in Aug?which one would be better?

i already turned in 3 LORs 1 bio II prof(community college), 1 dentist & 1 employer (pharmacist)

Yeah, I agree with the other poster. You should go to a professor for a class you did really well in in the 4 yr uni and ask him/her for one. Maybe suggest they meet with you for a little bit so they at least get some background. Many are used to writing LORs.

I have one more worry...

when they say that apply early & finish your application early what does that mean? i am submitting my application on Friday with 3 LORs but i wont have 2 LORs until the end of summer & my DAT score won't be in untile the first week of August....so basically it means that i finished my application in August eventhough i know that DAT score & LOR DO NOT hold back your application. But do you think d- school would even consider looking @ your application w/o DAT score? I mean how are they going to compare you with other students if you do not have DAT score?

So I am worried about that....even though I will submit my application EARLY (May 24th) ...my application is not really going to be considered until August...so basically I am LATE!!:scared: :scared:

Should i just wait & apply in next cycle? I am having second thoughts...i dont wanna waste all this money & get rejected....it would be really hard in if i get rejected once. What do you guys suggest?
Is there anyone from past cycle who finished their application in mid august with avg stats & got accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I agree with the other poster. You should go to a professor for a class you did really well in in the 4 yr uni and ask him/her for one. Maybe suggest they meet with you for a little bit so they at least get some background. Many are used to writing LORs.
well lets see....

Fall 06
Med Term - A - prof doesnt know me at all
Phy I - B - prof knew me a lil bit but hated phy plus i am sure he forgot abt me by now
Neurobio - B - prof had no idea that i existed lol
Org I -D - BIG NOO!!!

Spring
ORGANIC CHEM II - C - BIG NOOO
CHM 2211L ORGANIC CHEM LAB - A - T.A. knew me well prof didnt coz he was never in the lab
PCB 3063 GENETICS - 3.00 - been to prof office 4 tmes he knows me a lil bit
PHY 2054C COLLEGE PHYS II - B+ - prof was weird..do not want letter from him
SLS 2311C OVERVIEW SEL MED - B+ 2.00 - taught by pre-health advisor - already writing LOR for me

I have thought about this a lot i could not come up with a single prof who i can go talk to & mite write LOR for me...only possible option is GENETICS, but then i got B in that class.

Any suggestions?

i would turn in one now. Just think about a professor through college that you have had, enoyed their class, and learned alot from. If that person is a community college professor. I say go for it.
Hi i already have 1 LOR from C.C. prof....so i thought of getting other 2 from 4-yr uni people say it looks better...i dont know what to do I am lost...my application is going to be hold back anyways because my DAT score is not going to be in until Aug...should i still get it now or @ the end of summer?

I just remembered something.....somebody wrote on SDN that it takes about 6 weeks for AADSAS to process application...that means that d-schools wont receive my application until like mid July. Is it true?

if that is true then afterall i won't be late with my DAT score & LOR

well lets see....

Fall 06
Med Term - A - prof doesnt know me at all
Phy I - B - prof knew me a lil bit but hated phy plus i am sure he forgot abt me by now
Neurobio - B - prof had no idea that i existed lol
Org I -D - BIG NOO!!!

Spring
ORGANIC CHEM II - C - BIG NOOO
CHM 2211L ORGANIC CHEM LAB - A - T.A. knew me well prof didnt coz he was never in the lab
PCB 3063 GENETICS - 3.00 - been to prof office 4 tmes he knows me a lil bit
PHY 2054C COLLEGE PHYS II - B+ - prof was weird..do not want letter from him
SLS 2311C OVERVIEW SEL MED - B+ 2.00 - taught by pre-health advisor - already writing LOR for me

I have thought about this a lot i could not come up with a single prof who i can go talk to & mite write LOR for me...only possible option is GENETICS, but then i got B in that class.

Any suggestions?

Before I read your last line, Genetics sounded like the obvious answer to me. As you probably know, CERTAINLY DO NOT ASK a TA for an LOR. A B is not a bad grade at all. In addition to this, a LOR is supposed to talk about how the candidate will be an asset to the program. I don't think a B would be frowned upon though even if he mentioned it. Genetics can be a difficult course. A C course I wouldn't but B isn't bad. I suppose if I were you I would meet and ask him/her if they could write a positive LOR for you. If they say yes, I'm willing to wager they will write a good one. Most people that go into academics don't seem to be out to get their students. Of course, there are always exceptions. Just make sure he/she doesn't have any bitter resentment if they tried to get into dental school and failed ;) Good luck.