I need your Advice!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperCool101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I really need your advice with this one.

Here is my story,

I took the DAT a year ago and here are my scores:

PA: 18 63.7%
QR: 19 81.9%
RC: 18 38.1%
Bi: 18 61.9%
GC: 22 88.7%
GC: 24 94.4%

TS: 21 91.3%
AA: 20 84.0%

I did attend a community college where I finished 60 credit hours in one year with a 4.0 GPA. Then I attended a university and so far I finished 30 credit hours with a 4.0 GPA.
I applied during the 2010 cycle as a JUNIOR with no bachelor degree, got two interviews out of three schools, got rejected from two schools and I am currently now on the waiting list for one school (and I have big doubt that I would get in because I still did not take biochemistry which is a requirement).

My question to you is this:
SHOULD I RETAKE THE DAT?????????

I did improve a lot. I became more involved in the community, volunteered almost every where, I have over 100 hours of shadowing general dentists, periodontists and oral surgeon at a hospital. I received many awards and honors. I will be a senior this fall and I will receive my bachelor degree in May 2011. Plus I conducted two research projects at MD Anderson Cancer Center and soon this summer one research paper will be published in some microbiology journal.
I am confident that I can make higher scores but the problem is I don't have enough time to study because im taking 4 classes, got research, and volunteer this summer. I did study for it like two months ago and I still remember almost everything.
If I applied this 2011 cycle with the same DAT scores from last year, would they look down on my scores since I did not retake the exam???

Any advice will be appreciated.

btw, I am currently 19 years old, do you think that would show them that I am motivated to become a dentist in any way? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Im serious though... you have great ECs you've have done quite a bit... talk to the schools ask them how they feel about your score... like I said, I honestly feel that you are in dang good shape, I wish I had your GPA but I screwed up my undergrad lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you apply last year? If you got in you'd go to dental school this fall and never finish undergrad, thus never getting a bachelor's degree. That's probably why you didn't get accepted anywhere.

Good DAT score, check (National mean for DAT is a 17). High GPA, check. EC's, check. Publication/research helps, check. You're fine, just get yours apps in early, and practice your interview skills. Only thing (which isn't really a bad thing) is your age. Some schools like to see students finish undergrad and a little older, but not all schools. Just quit worrying. Good luck.

Why did you apply last year? If you got in you'd go to dental school this fall and never finish undergrad, thus never getting a bachelor's degree. That's probably why you didn't get accepted anywhere.

the schools where I applied don't require a bachelor degree, just 90 credit hours + pre-reqs + DAT. And I thought since I took the DAT and finished all the requirements, then I would just apply for dental school...why wait.

Thank you guys very much.

I am currently working on my application and will send it soon.

I will talk to my schools on monday so I can figure my next step.

Thanks for all the advice:)