noordoctor

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2007
Status
Hi,
I am a Canadian applying to American schools coming this May.
I have the following scores and I am debating if I can send the schools my November scores or Feb DAT scores (canadian ones). Please suggest if I should retake with AMERICAN DAT.

Thanks,

Nov DAT scores:
RC 17
Bio 19
Chem 20
Total Science 20
AA 19
PAT 15

Feb DAT scores:
RC 16
Bio 21
Chem 18
Total Science 19
AA 18
PAT 20

GPA 3.6 cum/ 3.5 Sci
Lots of ECs/research and publications/volunteer/LORs from dean/ chairs of science departments.

Any suggestions on schools with low DAT scores will also be appreciated.
Thanks everyone!

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Hi,
I am a Canadian applying to American schools coming this May.
I have the following scores and I am debating if I can send the schools my November scores or Feb DAT scores (canadian ones). Please suggest if I should retake with AMERICAN DAT.

Any suggestions on schools with low DAT scores will also be appreciated.
Thanks everyone!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=502682

If you only have the Canadian DAT, taking the U.S. DAT may not be optional.

dackmonkey

i guess i'm floating
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2007
Status
Dental Student
both of your scores have some eyesores (not trying to be mean) but i would go with the former. with your GPA i'm wondering why you haven't been able to pull off higher scores.

OP
N

noordoctor

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2007
Status
thanks dackmonkey,
yes they are eye sores. This was my fifth attempt at the DAT! I suck at standardized tests. So, right now I am debating if I should even apply to US schools after being rejected from CDN ones.

dackmonkey

i guess i'm floating
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2007
Status
Dental Student
your scores aren't that bad overall, they just have a couple of weak spots. i would say apply with those scores to some private schools in the US. i don't think you NEED to retake, but if you think you can do better, then why not? you said that you've taken the DAT numerous times though, so i don't know whether it will help you taking it again.

ummjoey

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
i would go with the feb dat. i think the 15 pat on the nov really hurts? the 16 rc on the feb one hurts too, but i think the 15 hurts more than the 16...........

i dont really understand the whole canadian thing, but i think your stats look good. i heard canadians needed really good stats to apply to american schools? i am not sure if this is true, but i am sure there are people in america with worst scores than yours that has gotten in.

OP
N

noordoctor

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2007
Status
thanks for the replies. I will submit my FEB scores. Also, I will enter in my application that I am retaking. I will retake after I am absolutely ready by the end of July. I know thats sort of pushing it late but I want to give myself three months of heavy review and practice for the sections I am weak in. Since I have taken the DAT so many times, the bio and chem material is memorized but now I will focus more of things that I did not understand from past experiences.

I am submitting my application end of May and these are the schools that I think that I may have a chance at. Can anyone tell me if I can apply to Texas schools, I am really interested in going there but since they accept mostly state residents, its pointless, is it?

I am applying to: New York (($$$), Case (I hear its very hard to get into, although they have Canadians in their class), USC, Nova, UDM, any others???

Thanks everyone.

remify

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
if your GPA is not strong, you should aim as high as you can on the DATs (19/20s and above)