I only applied to one Medical School. it all works out.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WealthyConquistador

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a mini rant somewhere about this. I applied in the 2021 cycle early decision, which restricted me from applying to other schools at the time. A month or so later, the school informed me that I had been moved to the regular decision pool, and that I was free to apply to any other schools of my choice. By this point, it was mid August so I still had plenty of time to submit secondaries for other schools. Initially after hearing the news, I had planned on applying to at least 6 or 7 more schools and was thinking about how to formulate my essays. I had also recently moved to a big city and was working at a non profit during my gap year and was having a great time. I soon became caught in a mental whirlwind of procrastination, rationalization, and arrogance that gradually decreased my motivation to apply to other schools. Days, weeks, months had passed and I still had not written a single word on a secondary essay. To add to it, I was having a bit too much fun in the city and started running into some serious financial and mental concerns which would continually decrease my motivation. I had also not heard back from the school I initially applied to (which, by the way, did not require secondaries), and I was starting to seriously lose confidence and hope in myself. by December, the app cycle had closed and I had officially only submitted one medical school application for the 2021 cycle. From Decemeber-April, I was anxious like no other. I thought I was going to get into this school and that I would not have needed to apply to any other schools. i started to regret not applying to more schools, as I am talking to my peers have all applied to over 15 schools this cycle. most importantly, i started to lose my confidence and overall drive to better myself. I was falling into a vortex that i thought I would never get out of. 4 years of undergrad/premed only to end up like this? Suddenly, it's May and I get an emailing saying that I am on the alternate list for this school. By this point, I am shocked to hear anything from them, as the last correspondence I had was in october. I get a glimmer of hope, but still no real feelings of joy. Several weeks pass and I get a phone call from my mom. I answer and she tells me that she received letter from the school that I had applied to. I had gotten in! I was dumbfounded, humbled, and grateful at the same time. I knew that I was one lucky mother****, and that I tested my luck a bit too much this past year.

But to whoever reads this, the point of me writing this was to tell you the following:

no matter how ****ty things feel, how hopeless life may become, and how much you wish you chose a different path, everything works for the best and regardless of the path it takes to get there, it all works out :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users