I ran out of verbal passages..now what?!?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zanzounita

Int'l Woman of Mystery
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done all the EK, TPR, and Kaplan stuff..

I am thinking about starting to read the Econmist..what do u guys think?

Thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, has your verbal score increased any? If so, then I would just stick to reading the Economist or start doing practice passages or LSAT books. The verbal on the LSAT is quite similar.

go back through all the verbal passages you did and look at the questions you got wrong. Did you misread them? Did you get most of the 50/50 questions right after narrowing it down to 2 choices? A thorough analysis can't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
go back through all the verbal passages you did and look at the questions you got wrong. Did you misread them? Did you get most of the 50/50 questions right after narrowing it down to 2 choices? A thorough analysis can't hurt.
This is really good advice :)

Plus if your school has access to jstor.org I'd suggest reading some random humanities journal articles.

I have done all the EK, TPR, and Kaplan stuff..

I am thinking about starting to read the Econmist..what do u guys think?

Thanks!:D
i dont know if i would recommend the economist only because it's an interesting read at least for me. But maybe it's because i was an econ major.

the problem is my verbal score is still at a 6!!!

would it be beneficial to retake the old verbal, even though i may recall some of the answers..

also, were can i get the aamc's??

I'm finding that it's not how much you do, but what you do with the passages.

I think it's worthwhile really analyzing your old passages. I've been using the examkrackers method where spending 30 minutes on each of the passage questions only trying to figure out what I can learn from them and the wording of the answer choices.

Then spending some time reading over the passage again to make sure I'm able to get the main idea. I find it's helping.

the problem is my verbal score is still at a 6!!!

would it be beneficial to retake the old verbal, even though i may recall some of the answers..

also, were can i get the aamc's??

e-mcat.com
these are the official ones and the ones that will closely test your mcat abilities

Thats exactly what I was scared of doing.. so I didn't do that many before taking the test thinking what if I'm going to have to take it again.
I got great science scores so i ended up with a decent mcat score but did horrible verbal. Good enough on the other two sections that I didn't want to take the mcat over again and I didn't, and will never take it again.. but still I wish I had done more, who knows what my potential could have been.

Wow, has your verbal score increased any? If so, then I would just stick to reading the Economist or start doing practice passages or LSAT books. The verbal on the LSAT is quite similar.

True! There is this guy that raised his verbal from 8 --> 12 after taking a LSAT course. I am not sure why he took the LSAT course though.

actually the LSAT passages are nothing like MCAT verbal....in fact, i thought they were easier (shorter passages that are MUCH more interesting) and questions that mainly ask about main idea.

don't practice with LSAT stuff. try to get your hands on some more MCAT verbal. theres gotta be some obscure company out there with more practice material

Verbal sucks. I tried and tried and did more passages and studied more. Didn't seem to help. I ended up getting an 8 on my Verbal - 11's on my other two sections. Still got into medical school.

On the real MCAT, they always seem to put reasonable passages with only 5-6 questions to answer. Then they put a really complicated passage that it difficult to read and understand and they ask you 10-15 questions on that passage. It really sucks.

Anyway, Good Luck!