I really need advice ASAP, please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental407

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm completely new to SDN but I was hoping I could ask for some immediate advice. I'm currently enrolled in a Biology elective course that is not required or even recommended for dental school and I'm worried about my grade and GPA. Although I still have a final that is 50% of my grade, my current grade is around a C due to unfortunate illness I had this quarter that lasted 2 weeks. I was wondering if I should should withdraw from the course, I have never had a "W" on my transcript but I really do not want to affect my GPA considering that I want to apply for dental school next June. Does having one "W" look really bad on your transcript if you have reason to explain why you had to withdraw from the course? Although I have a doctor's note, my professor was not very helpful and understanding about the situation. I am doing well in my other courses this quarter but I was just hoping anyone can give me advice regarding having a "W" especially anyone that might have applied to dental school already and has interviews. Does it come up in the interview? A "W" is recorded when you apply to dental school, right? Also, it's not that I do not want to work hard in the next 1.5 week that I have left before the final (qtr system) but I also have another Bio. class that is required for me to graduate and also is highly rec. for dental schools to focus on too. What should I do? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm completely new to SDN but I was hoping I could ask for some immediate advice. I'm currently enrolled in a Biology elective course that is not required or even recommended for dental school and I'm worried about my grade and GPA. Although I still have a final that is 50% of my grade, my current grade is around a C due to unfortunate illness I had this quarter that lasted 2 weeks. I was wondering if I should should withdraw from the course, I have never had a "W" on my transcript but I really do not want to affect my GPA considering that I want to apply for dental school next June. Does having one "W" look really bad on your transcript if you have reason to explain why you had to withdraw from the course? Although I have a doctor's note, my professor was not very helpful and understanding about the situation. I am doing well in my other courses this quarter but I was just hoping anyone can give me advice regarding having a "W" especially anyone that might have applied to dental school already and has interviews. Does it come up in the interview? A "W" is recorded when you apply to dental school, right? Also, it's not that I do not want to work hard in the next 1.5 week that I have left before the final (qtr system) but I also have another Bio. class that is required for me to graduate and also is highly rec. for dental schools to focus on too. What should I do? Please help!

First, sorry to hear of your sickness and I hope you are feeling better now. But quite honestly, I think being out of class for two weeks is not enough excuse for having a C in the class. I never go to my classes. On the other hand, an A on your final with bump up your grade to at least a B and thus since it is not an important they would not care about a B or even a B-, but they will sure see the W clearly. So my advice to you is study hard and suck it up, and next time you need advice think to your self since we are only students like you and cant make as sound decisions as you might. You can do well if you think you can handle dental school so good luck studying and rock that final.

I have 3 W's and 2 C's on my transcripts so don't worry too much about it. Just be willing to live with your decision. Try to finish the course especially b/c it would look skeptic if you withdrew. Everybody has bad terms, and unfortunately sometimes they are out of our control. Just try to improve next term. Good luck!!

Stay in the class...just study really hard and kick butt on the final and you might end up w/ a B or better. "W" doesn't look good on a transcript, especialy in a science course, and you don't want to have to retake bio again.

You should handle classes just as you would if you were in dental school...you wouldn't withdraw if you got sick in dental school, you'd just have to work harder to make up for it. se la vie