I really need an advice fellow SDNers. Please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Averagestudent101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I need some advice how to approach my situation.
I applied this cycle very late (november) broadly so I got 0 interview. So I am hoping for next cycle.
My background...

Undergrad
DAT: 21/22/23
cGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.10
Extracurricular: 600+ dental assisting/shadowing and 600+volunteering. Other positions from undergrad.

My problem is I am doing a masters right now and even if I finish with good grades my GPA will have limits like cGPA 3.40 and sGPA 3.25. I am going to apply this June as it opens. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think youre fine, just apply early. You have everything in order so theres no reason not to

Apply to MANY, and super early. Change your PS a little bit (make it more compelling). Ask for 1 or 2 letters if you think they will be better than the one you got. Apply, apply, again. And Don't give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
As stated above: apply earlier, rewrite PS, obtain different letters if necessary, include Master's grades, continue ECs/shadowing/etc. Should have a better cycle the 2nd time around.

Yeah apply early. Im in a same situation too. Hey guys do guys have any idea how to increase GPA after Masters? Like @Averagestudent101 said there is definitely limit how much you can increase GPA even with 4.0 in Masters. @sjv @dieanotherday @ICUrunning ?

Yeah apply early. Im in a same situation too. Hey guys do guys have any idea how to increase GPA after Masters? Like @Averagestudent101 said there is definitely limit how much you can increase GPA even with 4.0 in Masters. @sjv @dieanotherday @ICUrunning ?
My gpa is on the low side so I'm taking some more classes after I retake my DAT. Even then, I have two bachelor degrees so I've accumulated a lot of credits. Even if I get all A's in my postbacc classes my gpa is only going up maybe .05. But my sgpa is low so it'll rise some more

But every little bit helps I guess.

Yeah apply early. Im in a same situation too. Hey guys do guys have any idea how to increase GPA after Masters? Like @Averagestudent101 said there is definitely limit how much you can increase GPA even with 4.0 in Masters?

Doing well in a master's program is viewed separately than the modest GPA impact, it shows an applicant's ability to handle relevant coursework and an interview invitation/acceptance may be extended due to this academic achievement despite undergrad performance. I don't know how to explain it any better than a "second chance" if that makes any sense.

As you guys know my DAT score is 21/22/23. My parents are suggesting me to retake to get it higher. Is it worth it? I originally thought my scores were decent but many people around me tells me its not good enough. What do you guys think?

I got 3 interviews with a 13 in pat dude.

Just think that's pretty crappy!
Look at your personal statement, your letters. None of mine are less than a full page long and they say more about me as a person than just grades.

sjv is right, the master's GPA is separate. Doing well in there is really like a "second chance" which is why they are sometimes looked at as "make or break" (which is how I looked at it when I did mine). I went from struggling to handle two/three pre-req science courses in my sophomore year so doing well in 17 credits of five intense biomedical related classes on top of a year long research project in the masters. It makes a difference. Don't fret about the timeline or the extra year. Sure, it might not be ideal but your app will be stronger with the full master's degree.

Our GPA's are similar and my DAT is right around yours (I got a 21 TS and 20 PAT). My letters were solid and my PS was really good. In regards to the DAT re-take, I would not if I were you unless you felt like you could honestly do better. Those score are good IMO and I personally would hate to chance that. Once (yeah, once) I thought about re-taking it but I figured that if I got rejected it would have been because of my lower undergrad GPA and not my DAT. It was not feasible for me to get 25+ across the board.

The lateness of your applying might be what did you in along with the fact that you're not done with the master's. The earlier the better for people like us.

How does reapplying works for AADSAS? Do I need to send my undergrad transcripts again (also LOR)? Or just masters transcripts? And how do I prepare my transcript so they can be sent June 4th?

As you guys know my DAT score is 21/22/23. My parents are suggesting me to retake to get it higher. Is it worth it? I originally thought my scores were decent but many people around me tells me its not good enough. What do you guys think?
Perhaps you can remind your parents that dat scores are not there for the asking. To move up to a 23 and beyond in SNS is a matter of one question, not to mention, that there is no guarantee the scores will improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys! I am finishing up my masters this semester but I don't need to graduate. Would it be wise to stay for one more semester and increase GPA more? My concern is that D school might be reluctant to give me interview (reason: they might want to see my academic update since my GPA is on lower side). I am contemplating but need some advice.

If you do well in your masters and apply early, I think you have a GREAT shot! Good luck!

Thank you guys! I am finishing up my masters this semester but I don't need to graduate. Would it be wise to stay for one more semester and increase GPA more? My concern is that D school might be reluctant to give me interview (reason: they might want to see my academic update since my GPA is on lower side). I am contemplating but need some advice.
Why would you not need to graduate? You will need this degree and two semesters is better than quitting after one. Quitting might make them reluctant to give you an interview too so that's something to think about. Finish the program strong and apply in the summer.

Why would you not need to graduate? You will need this degree and two semesters is better than quitting after one. Quitting might make them reluctant to give you an interview too so that's something to think about. Finish the program strong and apply in the summer.
Hey @ChrisM07 what I meant was I can opt to stay my master for third semester. Meaning I can take more classes and try to raise more GPA. But the concern is D schools might want to see academic update so they might not give me an interview before december... Any advice?

Hey @ChrisM07 what I meant was I can opt to stay my master for third semester. Meaning I can take more classes and try to raise more GPA. But the concern is D schools might want to see academic update so they might not give me an interview before december... Any advice?
I see. Or they might give you an interview with the two semesters that they see and let you in pending a strong or consistent finish in the program in December. Lots of people apply without completing prerequisites and they are interviewed and accepted pending they finish them. My masters degree was two semesters and people applied for medical school during the fall, were interviewed, accepted and required to finish the degree.

@Averagestudent101 I think the rough rule of thumb is the lower the numbers (grades), the more schools you should apply to to increase your chance. This should be done with some thought though since some schools prefer in state vs. out of state. Apply to the private schools (Western, NYU, Tufts, USC, etc) since they don't care about residency. They're going to be more expensive though. Look at schools and see if you fall close to their numbers listed on their site too. Just because a school has average GPA of 3.4 for instance does not mean that you should instantly ignore it because you may not have a 3.4 exactly. It's just an average to look at other things like DAT and other things like that.

Good start: Buffalo, Stony Brook, NYU, Rutgers, BU, Tufts, UNE, Maryland, Temple, Pittsburgh, Case Western, VCU

Further away: Minnesota, Marquette, Louisville, Indiana, MWU-IL, UDM, Creighton?

Even further: Nova, LECOM, Roseman, USC, Western, MWU-AZ

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys. Few more questions. When I graduate my masters, what should I do other than shadowing? I personally want to do research with pay. Also should I take organic chemistry 2 (got C-) during summer (after aadsas) or during spring? Like I said, I am little hesitant to take class after I submit my app bc I don't want them to wait for my updated grade to give interview. Any other stuffs I can do to increase my chance?

I got accepted with a 19AA to two of my four schools. Your DAT is great.

Volunteering looks great as well as leadership positions. Research is always a plus

Thank you guys. Few more questions. When I graduate my masters, what should I do other than shadowing? I personally want to do research with pay. Also should I take organic chemistry 2 (got C-) during summer (after aadsas) or during spring? Like I said, I am little hesitant to take class after I submit my app bc I don't want them to wait for my updated grade to give interview. Any other stuffs I can do to increase my chance?
Anyone?

Don't you dare retake the DAT! Haha
Those are great scores.
Apply early and I think you'll be fine.

I advise you to look around for general advice as many questions have been answered before and though this process is nerve wracking and you may think that your situation is more particular or different than others, in the end good gpa, dat scores, being well rounded with e.cs and shadowing has consistently gotten people into d school