I REALLY need some help & advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoomn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a good undergrad. GPA and I'm finishing up a certificate program in VCU/MCV. I took the MCAT last April and August ('01) and both time ended up with a 26 overal with no change in any section xcpt WS which increase to a P. So the med. dean suggestion that I take the august '02 and I just received my scores. I am petrified and horrified. I scored a total of 23!!! I went from a 7 on the VS to a 4-VS? I just do not understand how my verbal score could go down. I felt pretty good after the test and thought I scored at least an 8 or 9. What should I do? Do I have a chance of gettinf into a DO school? I have applied to four DO schools, CCOM, PCOM, NOVA, and KCOM. Does anyone know which kind of scores they are looking for and if anyone has been accepted with a 23 on the MCAT? I really appreciate any advice that is beneficial. :(

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be okay. Lots of people get in with a 23, and getting 26 twice should make that look better. Just nail the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted at UHS with a 22Q MCAT (5V,8P,9B) and have interviews scheduled at KCOM,UNECOM,DMU and LECOM.

I wouldn't worry at all about your numbers. Make sure you have alot of experience in the medical field and be able to express your love of medicine during your interviews. Make the adcoms know that you have what it takes to be a doc!! Good luck!

I know of several people here at PCOM with 23 and below.

However, they have other things under their belt that make them stand out.

A 23 MCAT is not a death sentence, nor is a GPA around 3.3.

Just make sure you look good in other ways.

Best of luck.

can you get in a MD school with a score like that?

Originally posted by San_Juan_Sun
You'll be okay. Lots of people get in with a 23, and getting 26 twice should make that look better. Just nail the interview.

Originally posted by youngjock
can you get in a MD school with a score like that?

Having interviewed MD, I can assure you that "YES", people get into MD schools with MCAT scores like that. Granted, you definately won't be getting into Harvard.

A 26 would give you a fairly good shot at many MD schools. Search the pre-allo forum. There are several threads that talk about this.

Of course, just like a DO school you need good grades, good ECs, good LORs, a good interview, and a little good luck.

That 4 in verbal concerns me.

There are some schools (CCOM comes to mind) who might not interview you w/ a sub-6 score on the MCAT.

Although you did get a 26 twice, most med schools look at the latest MCAT scores. There are some who look at the averages and others who might look at the big picture.

This is only my judgement (and I am no expert), your chances of admission are slim based on the 4 in verbal. However, I HOPE that you come back and prove me wrong

Regarding youngjock's comment
It is "possible" to get into an MD school w/ a score of 23 or 26. It all depends on other factors like GPA, state residency, goals of a med school admission committee, etc. If you ask several MD schools (like Rochester, Albany, NYMC, etc) about their range of MCAT scores, you will see a spread, indicating that some people do get in w/ a 23.

Good luck xoomn and I hope you come back and go "THANKS FOR ALL THE POSITIVE COMMENTS. AS FOR YOU GROUP_THEORY, YOU WERE WRONG" - and I will gladly offer my sincere congratulations

please don't mislead all the kids.

those who got in md schools with mcat scores less than 25, I suppose is rare. probably less than 0.5% of the total md school incoming students.

please don't mislead all the kids.

Interesting that you'll lecture me about misleading, asking those loaded questions and all.

BTW, isn't making up stats a bit misleading? (I'm referring to your .5% remark.) The national average for matriculants has been around a 27, with the national average for test takers being around a 24. People are clearly getting into allopathic schools with scores in the 23-26 range.

As for my own experience, people with those scores have been getting interviews. If the admissions staff are telling the truth ("If you are being interviwed, your scores and grades are good enough for acceptance."), then those people are getting in. Of course, for xoomn and others in that boat, applying to your state school is probably your best bet for MD acceptance with those scores.

And to you youngjock, given your history of antagonism towards AACOM and osteopathy, I wouldn't give your words about "misleading" DO applicants much weight at all.

I am being realistic here.

Read the aamc's official medical school book, you can find out that all those MD schools have average MCAT score of 28. And most of the schools individual score is at least 9.

So I don't know how many of people with mcat score under 23 actually got into md schools, I would like to have a scientific report on that.

rumors are rumors. there is no need to waste your money applying if you apply on the base of rumors on this board.

You are just trying to stir up **** again Youngjock! Go away and stop your antagonistic posting! And for God's sake, please don't apply to ANY medical school!! You are the last person I want to be my doctor!!!!!

don't be upset, truth can not be always joyful.

don't hate me because i like to deal with reality.

kiddo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am being realistic here.

Read the aamc's official medical school book, you can find out that all those MD schools have average MCAT score of 28. And most of the schools individual score is at least 9.

So I don't know how many of people with mcat score under 23 actually got into md schools, I would like to have a scientific report on that.

rumors are rumors. there is no need to waste your money applying if you apply on the base of rumors on this board.

Alright then. I guess it had to come down to citing sources. As per the AAMC, the national average is right at 27. Here's the link: <http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/start.htm>

Also, I do absolutely agree that people shouldn't apply based on rumors. I've seen plenty of bad advice on SDN. However, I also don't think people SHOULDN'T apply because of some dude that hates osteopathy, makes up stats, and generally tries to pee in everyone cheerios.

Funny thing about averages, it means there are scores above AND BELOW it to make it a 27 average for matriculants to the MD schools. So yes, there are people getting into MD's schools with ranges between 23-26 in order for the AVERAGE to be a 27.

don't be upset, truth can not be always joyful.

don't hate me because i like to deal with reality.

kiddo.

We must be polite and kind toward youngjock. He is suffering from denial since his little world of "MD superior to DO" is being shattered by grim statistical facts.

If a graph follows a gaussian distribution with a mean of 27, then certainly more than 0.5% will get into MD schools with less than a 26 (of course, you can argue that the sigma (standard deviation) is really small but then people over 30+ getting into med school would also be a small percentage)

Yes, it is possible to get into a DO school w/ a 23. It is also possible to get into a MD school w/ a 23

That is reality. Don't be upset youngjock.

To xoomn, if you don't get in this time, re-take the MCAT (for the fourth time, I know, it sucks) but work on getting that verbal score to at least a 7. It seems your combine BS+PS of 19 will be ok for most DO (and MD) schools, unless you got something like BS-15, PS-4

Cheers!

Do you all get a percetage cut for every new applicant that you recruit for MD schools who have lower than (say) 25?

I didn't say that there is none who got in md schools with scores lower than 25.

That is the mind opium that you are given to yourself if you think that you can get in md schools with a score of 25 or lower.

If you know any schools that accept most of its application with socres lower than 25, please tell everyone.

Do you all get a percetage cut for every new applicant that you recruit for MD schools who have lower than (say) 25?

Yes we do. How else would we pay for AACOMAS, secondary fees, flights, hotel stays, and deposit fees?

That is the mind opium that you are given to yourself if you think that you can get in md schools with a score of 25 or lower.

Mmmmmmm, mind opium. Where can I get some more? I'm sure I can make a large profit selling these to worried premeds.

If you know any schools that accept most of its application with socres lower than 25, please tell everyone.

Let's define "most" as over 50%. Let's define the 50% mark as the mean of a gaussian distribution curve (properly normalized of course). So the mean mcat score has to be less than 25. I also assume you want LCME recognized institutions.

Hmm, well, the latest statistics I have is from 1995 and I only have the average MCAT score (sorry, can't afford the medical stats book from AAMC)

but let's see

University of Arkansas
Average MCAT: 7.6
7.6 x 3 = 22.8

Howard University
Average MCAT: 7.0
7.0 x 3 = 21

Morehouse School of Medicine
7.0 x 3 = 21

University of Missouri - Kansas City
Average MCAT: 8.0
8.0 x 3 = 24

East Carolina University
8.0 x 3 = 24

Wright State University
8.0 x 3 = 24

Ponce School of Medicine
Average MCAT: 6.1
6.1 x 3 = 18.3

Universidad del Caribe (in Bayamon, PR)
Average MCAT: 6.0
6.0 x 3 = 18

University of Puerto Rico
7.0 x 3 = 21

Meharry Medical College
Average MCAT: 7.5
7.5 x 3 = 22.5

Marshall University
Average MCAT: 8.2
8.2 x 3 = 24.6

yea, that is a good one.

You forgot to tell the person the many prerequisites before you give him the mind opium which he can get in a md school with scores lower than 29. Most md schools only accept people with mcat scores at least above 9.

You can be accpeted with low mcat score, if you are either in-state applicants in those states which have more cows than humans, or you are black.

You can be accpeted with low mcat score, if you are either in-state applicants in those states which have more cows than humans, or you are black.

What's wrong with cows? :)

To those who may be reading this thread, please be advised that youngjock has a history of bashing DOs. This thread is just another attempt from youngjock to stir up a little message board trouble.

youngjock may be full of it and a bit nasty toward DO's sometimes, but as a stressed out premed, I appreciate the humor; he's almost as funny as Pat Buchanan or this homeless man at the grocery store who's always spewing obscenities. DO's rule!

yea, you must think that this is my conspiracy.

i just want to tell all kids who have socres lower than 27 be realistic, they are wasting their money if they think that they can get in md schools with scores lower than that.

that has nothing to do with bashing dos.

Originally posted by San_Juan_Sun
What's wrong with cows? :)

To those who may be reading this thread, please be advised that youngjock has a history of bashing DOs. This thread is just another attempt from youngjock to stir up a little message board trouble.

yea, you must think that this is my conspiracy.

i just want to tell all kids who have socres lower than 27 be realistic, they are wasting their money if they think that they can get in md schools with scores lower than that.

that has nothing to do with bashing dos.

If this has nothing to do with your antipathy for osteopathy, why would you bring up MD MCAT scores on a pre-osteo board?

Even though I drastically disagree with most of your statements, I do agree that people on these boards need to be realistic. Of course, being "realistic" doesn't always mean showing someone the consequences of their position. It may well mean showing someone who is down that they still can acheive their goals.