I saw a former co-worker today

Started by rph3664
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rph3664

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today, I closed on my house (and got the biggest check I've ever seen - srsly, this was almost a year's PHARMACIST pay! 😱 😎) and stopped at a nearby Burger King for lunch before I hit the road back to my new home. One of my former co-workers, a tech who has worked there around 30 years, was there with her mom and her grandchildren. I hadn't seen her since I lost my job 15 months ago, although we're both on Facebook, and she told me, "That place is getting worse and worse every day." 🙁

She'd retire in a heartbeat, but her husband's employment situation has been unstable for quite some time and they need her insurance.

Then I got home, and the air conditioner had conked out (yes, it's 100 degrees here too) and the town is under a boil order - something I did not know until I came to the library to enjoy a few minutes of A/C and post this. It's always something, isn't it?

🙄
 
Today, I closed on my house (and got the biggest check I've ever seen - srsly, this was almost a year's PHARMACIST pay! 😱 😎) and stopped at a nearby Burger King for lunch before I hit the road back to my new home. One of my former co-workers, a tech who has worked there around 30 years, was there with her mom and her grandchildren. I hadn't seen her since I lost my job 15 months ago, although we're both on Facebook, and she told me, "That place is getting worse and worse every day." 🙁

She'd retire in a heartbeat, but her husband's employment situation has been unstable for quite some time and they need her insurance.

Then I got home, and the air conditioner had conked out (yes, it's 100 degrees here too) and the town is under a boil order - something I did not know until I came to the library to enjoy a few minutes of A/C and post this. It's always something, isn't it?

🙄


You need a blog.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bumping a REALLY old thread: I just found out, via Facebook, that she lost her job after more than 30 years because she "took too much time off" after surgery, as did another 30-year-plus employee. 😡 I can't imagine that something like this would even be legal, but there are always loopholes. Anyway, she said that her blood pressure and diabetes are much better controlled now that she doesn't work there.

That is quite shocking to me, and also not shocking, at the same time.
 
I'm confused 😕 What did I just read?

At the time that I posted this, I had just started a new job after searching for more than a year after a job loss. I was forced out in March 2010, in part because of likely-falsified disciplinary reports, and by the time I started this thread, I knew that they had done me a bigger favor than I could ever have imagined. It was also in the early days of oversaturation, as I found out.

As it happened, that job was through an agency and was at a start-up, and I realized almost immediately that I didn't want to sign on as a regular employee because (among other things) the regular employees were having a lot of difficulty getting paid. 😡 I then found a regular hospital job, and left it (and, at least for now, the profession) when I realized it was literally killing me.

Lots of us are still on Facebook, and yesterday, I found out that the woman I mentioned in the OP lost her job after over 30 years. I assumed she had retired, but I was wrong. 🙁 And I just got a Facebook PM from another tech who told me about some other things that have recently taken place at that facility, and it's absolutely horrifying.

Someone here said, "That place sounds radioactive!" and that appears to be the case now. Sad, because for most of time 7 years I worked there, it was a good place and I enjoyed working there. I definitely liked most of my co-workers, which is why I've kept in touch with them.
 
At the time that I posted this, I had just started a new job after searching for more than a year after a job loss. I was forced out in March 2010, in part because of likely-falsified disciplinary reports, and by the time I started this thread, I knew that they had done me a bigger favor than I could ever have imagined. It was also in the early days of oversaturation, as I found out.

As it happened, that job was through an agency and was at a start-up, and I realized almost immediately that I didn't want to sign on as a regular employee because (among other things) the regular employees were having a lot of difficulty getting paid. 😡 I then found a regular hospital job, and left it (and, at least for now, the profession) when I realized it was literally killing me.

Lots of us are still on Facebook, and yesterday, I found out that the woman I mentioned in the OP lost her job after over 30 years. I assumed she had retired, but I was wrong. 🙁 And I just got a Facebook PM from another tech who told me about some other things that have recently taken place at that facility, and it's absolutely horrifying.

Someone here said, "That place sounds radioactive!" and that appears to be the case now. Sad, because for most of time 7 years I worked there, it was a good place and I enjoyed working there. I definitely liked most of my co-workers, which is why I've kept in touch with them.

so, did you find a job yet? or did your laid off co-worker find a job?
 
Bumping a REALLY old thread: I just found out, via Facebook, that she lost her job after more than 30 years because she "took too much time off" after surgery, as did another 30-year-plus employee. 😡 I can't imagine that something like this would even be legal, but there are always loopholes. Anyway, she said that her blood pressure and diabetes are much better controlled now that she doesn't work there.

That is quite shocking to me, and also not shocking, at the same time.

You get 12 weeks for FMLA. If you take more than that, then yes, it is legal for your employer to let you go. This is assuming that she filed papers for FMLA.
 
I knew that one of the pharmacists had quit in recent weeks, and found out yesterday that she simply walked in, handed TPTB her badge, and said "I quit." She just couldn't take any more of their crap.

She had worked there 11 years.