I screwed up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postbachelp1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my postbac, 22 credits in, with 5 more pre reqs to go and am currently kicking myself. I just got a B in chemistry.. I had a set A going into the final, but somehow lost it after. The final was impossible. I know at least 10 people who lost their A over the final and I am so upset. This was my first B of postbac and leaves me with an overall 3.35 cGPA and a sGPA of 3.85 and a postbac GPA of 3.85. I'm so disappointed in myself.. I hadn't planned on making anything but A's. When I go to apply, I want a 3.5 cGPA, and ideally no more B's from here on out, which would get me to a 3.9 sGPA.

Is this B completely detrimental for someone who is trying to make up for a low cGPA?. I can't believe I let this happen. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Well assuming it is chemistry 1 since you said you have 5 more classes to go. You still have chem 2, orgo 1/2, and biochem? You still got a bit of possible grade points you can earn. You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well assuming it is chemistry 1 since you said you have 5 more classes to go. You still have chem 2, orgo 1/2, and biochem? You still got a bit of possible grade points you can earn. You will be fine.
Yeah.. it's Chem 1. I know I can make it up from doing the math.. although I'm pretty pissed my science GPA and postbac won't be a 4.0 now, but I really didn't want to get a B in a prerequisite class. I missed the A by like 0.75 of a point too, which kills me because it's the difference between a 4.0 and a 3.0... It was going to take me 63 credits to have a 3.5 cGPA before applying, but now it's looking closer to 71ish with this B..

I'm trying to figure out a way to enjoy school a little more because right now I'm feeling so burned out and frustrated. Being hyper focused on grades is not helping anyone.

Yeah.. it's Chem 1. I know I can make it up from doing the math.. although I'm pretty pissed my science GPA and postbac won't be a 4.0 now, but I really didn't want to get a B in a prerequisite class. I missed the A by like 0.75 of a point too, which kills me because it's the difference between a 4.0 and a 3.0... It was going to take me 63 credits to have a 3.5 cGPA before applying, but now it's looking closer to 71ish with this B..

I'm trying to figure out a way to enjoy school a little more because right now I'm feeling so burned out and frustrated. Being hyper focused on grades is not helping anyone.

Im in a similar boat as you. I am a 2016 Civil Engineering grad with a 3.37 GPA. I was lucky enough to get a 4.0 last semester (chem1, bio1, physics 1). I understand the stress associated with having a low previous degree GPA, but it doesnt help stressing over it constantly

Edit: I find my time at school really enjoyable knce I started to get to know more people and started to join clubs.

Last edited:
you're fine, but aim for all As from here on out

I'm a little more worried about how hard you are on yourself with this one grade. it's disappointing yes, but it's also human. keep on keeping on

I am so sorry. I also just finished Chem 1. I had a 97 going in the final and barely ended with an A because the final was ridiculous and 25% of the grade. If it was not for me doing so well all year I would have gotten a B. I know it stinks but I don't think one B will hurt you.

I am hoping to get straight A's on my pre-reqs as well, but I know I will be upset as well if I get a B. It seems we are at the same place in our classes. I just finished Bio 1 and Chem 1.

Keep your head up. At least your overall stats are much better than mine. I have 2 bad years 13 years ago to make up for. It stinks a 3.9 graduate degree doesn't count for me. I am hoping my NP degree will help me. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I completely get where you are coming from. Good luck!