I screwed up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Postbachelp1234

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in the middle of my postbac, 22 credits in, with 5 more pre reqs to go and am currently kicking myself. I just got a B in chemistry.. I had a set A going into the final, but somehow lost it after. The final was impossible. I know at least 10 people who lost their A over the final and I am so upset. This was my first B of postbac and leaves me with an overall 3.35 cGPA and a sGPA of 3.85 and a postbac GPA of 3.85. I'm so disappointed in myself.. I hadn't planned on making anything but A's. When I go to apply, I want a 3.5 cGPA, and ideally no more B's from here on out, which would get me to a 3.9 sGPA.

Is this B completely detrimental for someone who is trying to make up for a low cGPA?. I can't believe I let this happen. Thanks in advance
 
Well assuming it is chemistry 1 since you said you have 5 more classes to go. You still have chem 2, orgo 1/2, and biochem? You still got a bit of possible grade points you can earn. You will be fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well assuming it is chemistry 1 since you said you have 5 more classes to go. You still have chem 2, orgo 1/2, and biochem? You still got a bit of possible grade points you can earn. You will be fine.
Yeah.. it's Chem 1. I know I can make it up from doing the math.. although I'm pretty pissed my science GPA and postbac won't be a 4.0 now, but I really didn't want to get a B in a prerequisite class. I missed the A by like 0.75 of a point too, which kills me because it's the difference between a 4.0 and a 3.0... It was going to take me 63 credits to have a 3.5 cGPA before applying, but now it's looking closer to 71ish with this B..

I'm trying to figure out a way to enjoy school a little more because right now I'm feeling so burned out and frustrated. Being hyper focused on grades is not helping anyone.
 
Yeah.. it's Chem 1. I know I can make it up from doing the math.. although I'm pretty pissed my science GPA and postbac won't be a 4.0 now, but I really didn't want to get a B in a prerequisite class. I missed the A by like 0.75 of a point too, which kills me because it's the difference between a 4.0 and a 3.0... It was going to take me 63 credits to have a 3.5 cGPA before applying, but now it's looking closer to 71ish with this B..

I'm trying to figure out a way to enjoy school a little more because right now I'm feeling so burned out and frustrated. Being hyper focused on grades is not helping anyone.
Yeah.. it's Chem 1. I know I can make it up from doing the math.. although I'm pretty pissed my science GPA and postbac won't be a 4.0 now, but I really didn't want to get a B in a prerequisite class. I missed the A by like 0.75 of a point too, which kills me because it's the difference between a 4.0 and a 3.0... It was going to take me 63 credits to have a 3.5 cGPA before applying, but now it's looking closer to 71ish with this B..

I'm trying to figure out a way to enjoy school a little more because right now I'm feeling so burned out and frustrated. Being hyper focused on grades is not helping anyone.

Im in a similar boat as you. I am a 2016 Civil Engineering grad with a 3.37 GPA. I was lucky enough to get a 4.0 last semester (chem1, bio1, physics 1). I understand the stress associated with having a low previous degree GPA, but it doesnt help stressing over it constantly

Edit: I find my time at school really enjoyable knce I started to get to know more people and started to join clubs.
 
Last edited:
you're fine, but aim for all As from here on out

I'm a little more worried about how hard you are on yourself with this one grade. it's disappointing yes, but it's also human. keep on keeping on
 
I am so sorry. I also just finished Chem 1. I had a 97 going in the final and barely ended with an A because the final was ridiculous and 25% of the grade. If it was not for me doing so well all year I would have gotten a B. I know it stinks but I don't think one B will hurt you.

I am hoping to get straight A's on my pre-reqs as well, but I know I will be upset as well if I get a B. It seems we are at the same place in our classes. I just finished Bio 1 and Chem 1.

Keep your head up. At least your overall stats are much better than mine. I have 2 bad years 13 years ago to make up for. It stinks a 3.9 graduate degree doesn't count for me. I am hoping my NP degree will help me. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I completely get where you are coming from. Good luck!