I shouldn't even bother applying, should I?

Started by Chaggi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chaggi

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a Junior rocking a 2.8 GPA right now, and probably a science GPA of the same. I transferred to a Top 30 school with a Freshmen GPA of 4.0 (no science). I have a steady upwards trend from Sophomore of like a 2.4, to 3.5 in Junior year and was wondering if I should even bother. I haven't had an official MCAT yet, but after a few practice, I'm looking at a 31-32.

I'm guessing a Post Bacc + volunteering is my best?

I have all the necessary EC's, researching, clinical for > 100 hours, volunteering most weekends, etc.
 
I'd go ahead and do your senior year before applying and see what your GPA looks like after that. You must've had a whole bunch of classes your sophomor year because weighting those GPA's equally would put you at a 3.3. If you can't get your GPA up to at least a 3.1 and pull out a magical MCAT score, I'd go for the post-bac option. If you get, say, a 34 or better, you might consider just taking some more undergrad classes to boost your GPA as much as possible. If not, then a SMP is probably the way to go. Either way, apply to DO schools when you apply.
 
It's a bit weird, but my GPA doesn't count from my freshmen year, but my credits do. I don't really know how it's weighed exactly, i'll go to my advisor.

If I see how my senior year goes, doesn't that essentially mean a year off? (If apps open in the summer, process takes through the Winter semesters...) Or am I missing something?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's a bit weird, but my GPA doesn't count from my freshmen year, but my credits do. I don't really know how it's weighed exactly, i'll go to my advisor.

If I see how my senior year goes, doesn't that essentially mean a year off? (If apps open in the summer, process takes through the Winter semesters...) Or am I missing something?

Your freshman GPA may not count at your current school, but it will definitely factor in for AMCAS calculations.

Just do a spreadsheet of all your grades and estimate your total GPA...then come back and tell us what it is...

Milkman Al is probably right, though, that you should wait to apply after your senior year to get the maximum boost from all the As you will make...

Additional thought: your post wasn't clear, but if 100 hours represents all of your clinical exposure, that is on the low side...keep it up for the next year.
 
Last edited:
yea good news, your 4.0 should really give your 2.8 a boost into the 3.1-3.2 range. then if you continue your upward trend your senior yr and postbacc, really nail the mcat, you should be competitive at DO and low tier MD