Should I just apply DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premedstu000

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!
I’m currently a sophomore (going into junior) at a liberal arts college. I recently got the opportunity to submit my name for direct admittance to a DO school nearby from one of my professors (nothing binding as far as I know).
My CGPA is 3.8 and my SGPA is 3.7. I have 600 clinical hours (clinical trials in cancer research), by my admissions cycle I’ll have been VP of my school book club for two years, 4 years of D1 athletics, 40 hours of shadowing (ED and OBGYN), and hopefully a poster presentation for my school’s research symposium as well as (hopefully!!) 300 hours of lab work.
Should I just take the direct admittance or should I wait and apply MD if I want to go into a more competitive specialty like OBGYN or path instead of family med?