Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rant/seeking reassurance. PGY1 in a US Neuro residency program. We did 9 months of IM and now starting on Neurology. I start on Stroke in two weeks, and I will be alone. No senior or APP. (Obviously there’s an attending). I’m extremely scared. I’ll be expected to run stroke codes and see non-code consults. I’ll have to staff the entire list with my attending alone every day. Thankfully I won’t start on a primary service but I’m still so overwhelmed thinking about it.
I’m expecting that the attendings will be understanding, but I’m definitely a weak resident. I know the NIHSS and TNK criteria, but in the moment I know I’ll mess up. Plus if I push TNK I’ll be getting all the calls about it (“patient is now short of breath” “Patient is bleeding from rectum” etc). I shadowed a senior resident and he was dealing with everything alone and just messaged the attending later about it (“Hey patient was SOB and had a rash, I gave Benadryl, steroids, and epi. He’s doing better”). I am so dumb and I need my hand held, so I’m worried I’ll be overly reliant on the attending and annoy them. They come in 8-4 in person, but my shift is 6-6 daily so I’ll have to call them if anything happens and that makes me even more anxious.
I’m expecting that the attendings will be understanding, but I’m definitely a weak resident. I know the NIHSS and TNK criteria, but in the moment I know I’ll mess up. Plus if I push TNK I’ll be getting all the calls about it (“patient is now short of breath” “Patient is bleeding from rectum” etc). I shadowed a senior resident and he was dealing with everything alone and just messaged the attending later about it (“Hey patient was SOB and had a rash, I gave Benadryl, steroids, and epi. He’s doing better”). I am so dumb and I need my hand held, so I’m worried I’ll be overly reliant on the attending and annoy them. They come in 8-4 in person, but my shift is 6-6 daily so I’ll have to call them if anything happens and that makes me even more anxious.