I think I Failed Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJPJ69Camaro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm freaking out. I didn't study for Step 2 CS and it took me by surprise. I didn't realize how critical they might be. I was reading the USMLE materials and it talked about the different grading criteria and so forth. Plus I saw people studying First Aid and others the morning of the exam. I am freaking out because I've heard of people taking it too lightly and failing. I know of one or two US grads that speak perfectly good english fail the exam.

Anyone out there know what may cause someone to fail? I think I might fail because I didn't include vitals in the Objective part int he SOAP note. I figured, the O part was only if you performed the vitals again yourself. Did I screw that up, or what? Otherwise, I think my communication was good. Last time I checked, I speak English pretty well. And I didnt' get in any arguements with my patients.

Members don't see this ad.

DJPJ69Camaro said:
I'm freaking out. I didn't study for Step 2 CS and it took me by surprise. I didn't realize how critical they might be. I was reading the USMLE materials and it talked about the different grading criteria and so forth. Plus I saw people studying First Aid and others the morning of the exam. I am freaking out because I've heard of people taking it too lightly and failing. I know of one or two US grads that speak perfectly good english fail the exam.

Anyone out there know what may cause someone to fail? I think I might fail because I didn't include vitals in the Objective part int he SOAP note. I figured, the O part was only if you performed the vitals again yourself. Did I screw that up, or what? Otherwise, I think my communication was good. Last time I checked, I speak English pretty well. And I didnt' get in any arguements with my patients.

Hey there, think we talked about the CS exam in another forum, but I myself didn't do the entire physical for two of my patients, meaning that I had to write "Deferred" for my SOAP note, but I still passed. Think everything else was OK though.

you don't need to include vitals in the soap note. only if they are critical to the workup. even so, you most likely passed. my own exam was very easy but it too took me by surprise...and I passed. so don't worry about it.

How long did it take to get your results? I took mine on 3/8 and still haven't seen anything. The EXAM STATUS window on the nbme site doesn't list a SCORE REPORTED date yet... did I fail??

Does it take longer to report failed scores?

I took mine 2/26 and still have no score report. It hasn't even been sent yet.
Don't think its only slow for failed scores either, since some friends who took it on the same day still don't know either.