I thought people liked the paramedics...

Started by 146233
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1

146233

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whoah. A guy just came up to the ambulance and asked us if we'd give him a ride home. (No.) He demanded my name. (No.) He took the ambulance number. (Knock yourself out.) Then he proceeded to remove a handgun from his pants, tap it on the window, and ask again. 😱

Luckily, a copper was right next to the ambulance, parked in the bay.
(Predictable outcome.) That's the first time I've had an imminent safety issue at work in the 8 years I've been doing this. I thought people hated the police but liked the paramedics!
 
I guess that just goes to show that sometimes **** happens. If people love paramedics so much, why was I accosted and physically abused by an intoxicated patient tonight who we had to put into restraints? Lovely lady she was, threatening to sue me and my partners, the hospital staff, the security guards who had to restrain her again at the hospital, etc. 🙄

At any rate, I digress. Glad to hear you're OK. I hope he had a nice evening with the police after that.

Stay safe,

Lev.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope. Heres why.

Some people like to shoot other people so that they die. Paramedics sometimes get in the way of this plan. So, those people tend not to like paramedics.
 
What did the cop do? How did the guy respond to the cop?

By the time I fully processed the weapon, the cops were already out with their guns drawn yelling for him to drop it. They, um, "massaged him" on the way into the squad car. He seemed so surprised; I bet he hadn't even noticed the squad car there at all.
 
Gosh, I dont even like paramedics.

Im glad you didnt get hurt.

Where I worked, some agencies were issued body armor. I have one, but i rarely wore it.
 
I had a patient pull a knife on me (waiting in triage, after he had been "searched" by police on scene 🙄). My big, frightening-when-angry partner got him to drop it and I took it and tapped on hospital security's window with it. That got their attention, finally.