ineeddrug

2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2015
Status
Pharmacist
Oh boy.
I had this guy as a floater for last two weeks at my store because my PIC was on vacation.

He worked at some independent pharmacy for 10 years and quitted/fired (not sure) and recently got a job as a floater.

He seemed nice but whenever he was not sure about ddi, contraindication, off-label use, he came to me and asked "what should I do? Should I call dr? Should I verify? What do you think?"

I managed to be nice enough to show him how to check clinical reference but he still came asked me "but still, what would you do?"

I couldn't believe how he got a license in the first place.
I don't know if he is just insecure or actually doesn't know anything.

Thank God I don't have to work with him any more.

Last edited:

pillpharmer14

pharmin' til' it's gone
Mar 17, 2015
Status
Pharmacist
If this is your first encounter with one of these "pharmacists" then you are truly blessed, and very sheltered.

Feb 1, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
I've found that new employees try to hang on to the "I don't know/what would you do " syndrome to do less and make me do more. Thing is sooner or later it will catch up with them and they can't hide forever.

OP
I

ineeddrug

2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2015
Status
Pharmacist
If this is your first encounter with one of these "pharmacists" then you are truly blessed, and very sheltered.
Wait. There are more? Lol

Yeah. I graduated not too long ago. So he was my first. Hope I don't have to meet them again.
He just kept asking what I would do and pretending busy and gave that Rx for me to verify.. He practiced more than 10years. But not sure almost everything..

It was horrible experience..

SpartanLaser

5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
The longer you work, the more you forget. I had an rph that didn't know what was DS in bactrim DS

fewaopi

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Well that seems a bit overboard. I mean I think it's okay for floaters to ask a pharmacist or tech how they normally handle or deal with a situation. That way floaters don't screw up the way staff pharmacists do things. But sounds like your guy might need some retraining. He has to take CE credits so he is brushing up on some material I would hope.

OP
I

ineeddrug

2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2015
Status
Pharmacist
Well that seems a bit overboard. I mean I think it's okay for floaters to ask a pharmacist or tech how they normally handle or deal with a situation. That way floaters don't screw up the way staff pharmacists do things. But sounds like your guy might need some retraining. He has to take CE credits so he is brushing up on some material I would hope.
Well.. It would be totally fine if all those questions were about how to handle situation as new employee. I am ok with that. Really.

It was about..
Can you use clonidine for kids?
Is naproxen written as qid. Should i call dr to verify?
This c2 is too soon. Would you fill? Pt says he needs to go vacation.

I think you should know what to do if you are a pharmacist..

Last edited:

fewaopi

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Well.. It would be totally fine if all those questions were about how to handle situation as new employee. I am ok with that. Really.

It was about..
Can you use atropine eye drop for sublingual use?

I meant that pharmacist, not you has problems. He should know those or at least be able to look up.

Mar 10, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
It's lack of confidence. They don't trust their own judgment so they need someone else to validate it for them. We used to have one like that as our 2 days pharmacist. She relied heavily on our senior tech for everything. She will ask him " so what does he think ?" if it's so and so, what do you think they would do ? It was ridiculous. They made fun of her behind her back but she's a really sweet lady, just overly paranoid.

gwarm01

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
It's lack of confidence. They don't trust their own judgment so they need someone else to validate it for them. We used to have one like that as our 2 days pharmacist. She relied heavily on our senior tech for everything. She will ask him " so what does he think ?" if it's so and so, what do you think they would do ? It was ridiculous. They made fun of her behind her back but she's a really sweet lady, just overly paranoid.
I worked with a pharmacist that was like this when I was new. They had several years of experience, yet still asked me what to do all of the time. It's funny, because my answer would always just be what came to my head. It's not like it was researched or anything.

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status
Pharmacist
How old is this guy? I worked briefly with a pharmacist like this, turned out he was in the early stages of dementia. The only other explanation I can think of is, this guy made a major error concerning a drug interaction/contraindication, so now he's afraid to do anything (might explain why he's no longer at his last job. I don't think its laziness...lazy pharmacist tend to just verify everything and don't care if its wrong or right. As pharmacists, we all forget stuff, sometimes even stupid stuff, but we all know how to do a little research and look stuff up, if the floater pharmacist won't do this, I suspect there is more of an issue going on.

Whatever the case, I think I would tell him "I don't know, look it up."

The longer you work, the more you forget. I had an rph that didn't know what was DS in bactrim DS
Wow. Granted one forgets stuff quickly when they aren't working with it every day....but DS? That beats the story I have about a psychiatry pharmacist who didn't know what furosemide was (I thought, surely that's common enough that one of your patients has been on that)

Reactions: msweph

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist

It was about..
Can you use atropine eye drop for sublingual use?

To be fair, I've never seen atropine eye drops SL until this week, so that's a fair question. I guess I'm dumb for asking our palliative care pharmacist what dosing she typically sees...

trailerpark

5+ Year Member
May 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
To be fair, I've never seen atropine eye drops SL until this week, so that's a fair question. I guess I'm dumb for asking our palliative care pharmacist what dosing she typically sees...
So it's just for the death rattle? How many drops or just prn death sounds? lol

Reactions: pillpharmer14

Deja

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
I never heard of such a thing either :/.....

Sine Cura

10 seconds or less
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I suppose if you don't see it, you wouldn't know it. (And that's why you look it up...) And when you get a script from a hospice nurse you have to assume they're complete idiots as is the case in my experience.

Like the other day I saw a pediatric script for Premarin cream (for labial adhesion). You won't see that in Clinical Pharmacology.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
OK, I am not saying that I have seen a lot of eye drops being prescribed po, but what exactly is the concern, except that it might be a weird typo? What preservative/medication would be easy on the eyes and hard on the tongue?

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
OK, I am not saying that I have seen a lot of eye drops being prescribed po, but what exactly is the concern, except that it might be a weird typo? What preservative/medication would be easy on the eyes and hard on the tongue?
I guess it's different in the hospital, where instead of just verifying that something is safe, the doctor asks me "I want to give atropine eye drops sublingually, how do I dose it and then enter it into the EMR?"

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
I guess it's different in the hospital, where instead of just verifying that something is safe, the doctor asks me "I want to give atropine eye drops sublingually, how do I dose it and then enter it into the EMR?"
I am not sure what your point is?

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Any quaternary amine containing compound can be administered to the eye without resulting in systemic absorption. Theoretically, you could administer such an agent to the eye, but it might have severe adverse effects via oral route. I don't have an example, though.