I thought you are a pharmacist too.

Started by ineeddrug
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ineeddrug

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh boy.
I had this guy as a floater for last two weeks at my store because my PIC was on vacation.

He worked at some independent pharmacy for 10 years and quitted/fired (not sure) and recently got a job as a floater.

He seemed nice but whenever he was not sure about ddi, contraindication, off-label use, he came to me and asked "what should I do? Should I call dr? Should I verify? What do you think?"

I managed to be nice enough to show him how to check clinical reference but he still came asked me "but still, what would you do?"

I couldn't believe how he got a license in the first place.
I don't know if he is just insecure or actually doesn't know anything.

Thank God I don't have to work with him any more.
 
Last edited:
If this is your first encounter with one of these "pharmacists" then you are truly blessed, and very sheltered.
 
I've found that new employees try to hang on to the "I don't know/what would you do " syndrome to do less and make me do more. Thing is sooner or later it will catch up with them and they can't hide forever.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If this is your first encounter with one of these "pharmacists" then you are truly blessed, and very sheltered.

Wait. There are more? Lol

Yeah. I graduated not too long ago. So he was my first. Hope I don't have to meet them again.
He just kept asking what I would do and pretending busy and gave that Rx for me to verify.. He practiced more than 10years. But not sure almost everything..

It was horrible experience..
 
Well that seems a bit overboard. I mean I think it's okay for floaters to ask a pharmacist or tech how they normally handle or deal with a situation. That way floaters don't screw up the way staff pharmacists do things. But sounds like your guy might need some retraining. He has to take CE credits so he is brushing up on some material I would hope.
 
Well that seems a bit overboard. I mean I think it's okay for floaters to ask a pharmacist or tech how they normally handle or deal with a situation. That way floaters don't screw up the way staff pharmacists do things. But sounds like your guy might need some retraining. He has to take CE credits so he is brushing up on some material I would hope.
Well.. It would be totally fine if all those questions were about how to handle situation as new employee. I am ok with that. Really.

It was about..
Can you use clonidine for kids?
Is naproxen written as qid. Should i call dr to verify?
This c2 is too soon. Would you fill? Pt says he needs to go vacation.

I think you should know what to do if you are a pharmacist..
 
Last edited:
Well.. It would be totally fine if all those questions were about how to handle situation as new employee. I am ok with that. Really.

It was about..
Can you use clonidine for kids?
Can you use atropine eye drop for sublingual use?
Is naproxen written as qid. Should i call dr to verify?
This c2 is too soon. Would you fill? Pt says he needs to go vacation.

I think you should know what to do if you are a pharmacist..

I meant that pharmacist, not you has problems. He should know those or at least be able to look up.
 
It's lack of confidence. They don't trust their own judgment so they need someone else to validate it for them. We used to have one like that as our 2 days pharmacist. She relied heavily on our senior tech for everything. She will ask him " so what does he think ?" if it's so and so, what do you think they would do ? It was ridiculous. They made fun of her behind her back but she's a really sweet lady, just overly paranoid.
 
It's lack of confidence. They don't trust their own judgment so they need someone else to validate it for them. We used to have one like that as our 2 days pharmacist. She relied heavily on our senior tech for everything. She will ask him " so what does he think ?" if it's so and so, what do you think they would do ? It was ridiculous. They made fun of her behind her back but she's a really sweet lady, just overly paranoid.
I worked with a pharmacist that was like this when I was new. They had several years of experience, yet still asked me what to do all of the time. It's funny, because my answer would always just be what came to my head. It's not like it was researched or anything.
 
How old is this guy? I worked briefly with a pharmacist like this, turned out he was in the early stages of dementia. The only other explanation I can think of is, this guy made a major error concerning a drug interaction/contraindication, so now he's afraid to do anything (might explain why he's no longer at his last job. I don't think its laziness...lazy pharmacist tend to just verify everything and don't care if its wrong or right. As pharmacists, we all forget stuff, sometimes even stupid stuff, but we all know how to do a little research and look stuff up, if the floater pharmacist won't do this, I suspect there is more of an issue going on.

Whatever the case, I think I would tell him "I don't know, look it up."

The longer you work, the more you forget. I had an rph that didn't know what was DS in bactrim DS

Wow. Granted one forgets stuff quickly when they aren't working with it every day....but DS? That beats the story I have about a psychiatry pharmacist who didn't know what furosemide was (I thought, surely that's common enough that one of your patients has been on that)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well.. It would be totally fine if all those questions were about how to handle situation as new employee. I am ok with that. Really.

It was about..
Can you use clonidine for kids?
Can you use atropine eye drop for sublingual use?
Is naproxen written as qid. Should i call dr to verify?
This c2 is too soon. Would you fill? Pt says he needs to go vacation.

I think you should know what to do if you are a pharmacist..

To be fair, I've never seen atropine eye drops SL until this week, so that's a fair question. I guess I'm dumb for asking our palliative care pharmacist what dosing she typically sees...
 
To be fair, I've never seen atropine eye drops SL until this week, so that's a fair question. I guess I'm dumb for asking our palliative care pharmacist what dosing she typically sees...

I never heard of such a thing either :/.....
 
I suppose if you don't see it, you wouldn't know it. (And that's why you look it up...) And when you get a script from a hospice nurse you have to assume they're complete idiots as is the case in my experience.

Like the other day I saw a pediatric script for Premarin cream (for labial adhesion). You won't see that in Clinical Pharmacology.
 
OK, I am not saying that I have seen a lot of eye drops being prescribed po, but what exactly is the concern, except that it might be a weird typo? What preservative/medication would be easy on the eyes and hard on the tongue?

I guess it's different in the hospital, where instead of just verifying that something is safe, the doctor asks me "I want to give atropine eye drops sublingually, how do I dose it and then enter it into the EMR?"
 
OK, I am not saying that I have seen a lot of eye drops being prescribed po, but what exactly is the concern, except that it might be a weird typo? What preservative/medication would be easy on the eyes and hard on the tongue?
Any quaternary amine containing compound can be administered to the eye without resulting in systemic absorption. Theoretically, you could administer such an agent to the eye, but it might have severe adverse effects via oral route. I don't have an example, though.