I took an upper level science class and did poorly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it only dropped my science GPA by .02 because my other science class were A's that semester. Still, I got a C in it.

Will medical schools care as long as my GPA is high if I got a C?

I really wanted to take this class and I learned a ton (it was a Genetics class), but I did not perform as well as I wanted on tests. I am concerned it makes me look like I can't handle upper level science courses. I am not a science major, just a science minor.

I've been taking upper level science courses because I have the room in my schedule and I am honestly interested in them, but it is too late to major in science.

Members don't see this ad.

The world ain't gonna end with a C in genetics or your GPA dropping .02. You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
The world ain't gonna end with a C in genetics or your GPA dropping .02. You will be fine.
Thanks. I know I'm a little too old to be this neurotic, I just know the C looks bad. I really did love the class though, I wish my grade was better to show how much I learned. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it only dropped my science GPA by .02 because my other science class were A's that semester. Still, I got a C in it.

Will medical schools care as long as my GPA is high if I got a C?

I really wanted to take this class and I learned a ton (it was a Genetics class), but I did not perform as well as I wanted on tests. I am concerned it makes me look like I can't handle upper level science courses. I am not a science major, just a science minor.

I've been taking upper level science courses because I have the room in my schedule and I am honestly interested in them, but it is too late to major in science.
It's not the ONLY upper division coursework, right?

I mean, even if it was, it doesn't look too shabby. I doubt adcoms have the patience to look into the minutiae of transcripts anyway.

It's not the ONLY upper division coursework, right?

I mean, even if it was, it doesn't look too shabby. I doubt adcoms have the patience to look into the minutiae of transcripts anyway.
Thank you, Snorlax. If I had a flute or a mobile radio, I'd so catch you for your reassuring advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Do adcoms even look at your classwork when deciding who to interview? Due to the number of applications to process, isn't it just GPA/MCAT/essays/ECs

Do adcoms even look at your classwork when deciding who to interview? Due to the number of applications to process, isn't it just GPA/MCAT/essays/ECs
At best, they do a quick review. But it wouldn't be at the top of the list in terms of priorities.

Mishaps are common and expected. A few Cs here and there wouldn't be something to be concerned about. I've heard from my adviser that it's more serious if they can start to see some patterns... like if you were getting Cs in all upper division science courses.

The punctuation in this thread title concerns me.
Why? Having a statement ended with a question mark, or not having a hyphen between "upper" and level? Either way, post-finals me has no concern for the rules of grammar. Maybe I'll care in a week.

Last edited:
Why? Having a statement ended with a question mark, or not having a hyphen between "upper" and level? Either way, post-finals me has no concern for the rules of grammar. Maybe I'll care in a week.

Statements don't end in question marks, questions end in question marks. Otherwise it's like using that upward inflection when you talk that makes it sound like everything you say is a question and that super bothers me. It's just a pet peeve really, not meant to be a serious criticism!

I have one C on my transcript (in a lab), and it has been brought up at interviews. Just have a sincere-sounding reason for it happening and it won't be a big deal.