1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

I took it today!!!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Nowhat14, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Nowhat14

Pre-Dental
    Hello all,

This is actually my first post. So, my appologies that I have not been participating. But I always found it helpful to read other people's scores and opinions. And it's my turn to return the favor.

So, first off, my scores.
    PA 30
    QR 19
    RC 18
    Bio 20
    GC 22
    OC 19
    TS 20
    AA 20

Besides the PA section, which I am surprised how well I did, my scores aren't too impressive. I was wandering what you guys would suggest me doing. Retake it or not? My GPA is 3.5, and I have one more semester to graduate. I will be applying for 2008 cycle.

So what do you guys think? Which schools would I have chance to get in if I don't retake it? I'm an international student as well so no state schools.

This is how I studied. Since I usually take above 19 credits hours for classes, my studies have been on and off depending on how busy I get with schoolwork. I used the Kaplan (MCAT and DAT) book, Achiever, Topscore. Did not take the course. Barrons for PAT

I can't give much suggestions about the academic portion of the test but PA section, I'd say go with Achiver. You can use other sources as kind of a "warm up." Do as many warm up questions as possible before you even try to use Achiever. It'd be waste of good problems if you don't have the fundamental.

Aperture passing: you can eliminate at least 2, so go from there. Barrons helped

Orthographic projections: first try to visualize with the two pictures given, don't look at the answers first which can confuse you.

Angle: use process of elimination until you have to make a choice. If close, guess it and mark it. You SHOULD come back later to re-try. Somehow you have better chance of discriminating when you come back. (to do so, solve the easy ones as quickly as you can)

Hole-punch: Achiver is the way to go. Use Kaplan's symmetry method for every folding if you know what I mean.

Cubes: if you miss any in this section, you got no chance. Easiest section with least "perceptual ability" needed.

Form development: most of them are obvious. But if you have time, actually draw the figure and shade in (don't do it for every question). It might take longer but I'd say you will get it 100 percent if you do.

When you feel like you got stuck, mark it and move on. But make sure you do other questions lightening fast and come back.

And don't hesitate to invest in many questions as possible. Since I did not take the course, I saved like what 1000 dollars? So, spend more to get questions.

I hope this was helpful.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. shamrock2006

Dental Student
    I think numerically you're fine. Now just make sure you have the experience, LORs, personal statment, APPLY EARLY!, and you're good.

4. diane07

Pre-Dental
    Your stats are great. Congrats on doing so well!

5. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan!

Pre-Dental
    how did you do on PAT section of DAT achiever when you took it

6. Nowhat14

Pre-Dental
    Achiver 1: 18
    Achiver 2: 20
    Achiver 3: 19

I thought these were waaaay harder than the actual. But at the same time, these werent really "hard" but just takes longer time. It's like bunch of hard questions which you would get not that many in DAT. As you see, I never thought I would get 30. I wasn't especially talented in PAT section, but with lots of practice and little bit of luck, the result came along. (at lease for PAT) :)

7. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan!

Pre-Dental
    Well, definately think about applying to UOP, they are known for looking at PAT section alot. Also, do you remmember what your RC topics were or any bio question that you were really stuck on?!

8. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    Great scores. How in the world did you get a 30 on the PAT, lol, I don't think I seen anyone with a 30 on any section.

9. Nowhat14

Pre-Dental
    yea I heard about UOP for PAT section. mmm and I'm not supposed to share any actual Question info. So no.

10. Nowhat14

Pre-Dental
    haha I know right? I was like 30? no way... and went down to other scores and...was like nope computer seems to be doing fine.

11. dizzle23x

Dentist
    http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_users_manual.pdf page 24, 37, and 45

it only represents a few years but you get the point

i think you may be the only person to have ever scored a 30 on the PAT, which is somewhat unbelievable, but i guess we'll know once the 2007 report comes out...

12. bobuba

bobuba Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    how's the difficulty level of DAT compared to test-prep?

13. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry

Dental Student

not true...someone scored a 30 PAT over the summer, mid august i believe.

14. BahamaTodd

Pre-Dental
    What type of computer screen did you take the test on?

15. Nowhat14

Pre-Dental
    mmm you know how kaplan questions are very easy? There are decent number of those. Then, there are ones that takes longer time like Achiever questions.

There are more easy ones than the hard ones. Overall, I thought the PAT section was pretty easy. Except, the some of the angle questions were pretty intense.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Nowhat14

Pre-Dental
    15' CRT motitor, the non-flat kind.

18. Law0830

Law0830 Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    Woww that PAT blew my eyes away amazing score. Everything is solid to i dont think you have anything to worry about! Best of LUck!

19. quikag1

Those scores are really solid, and im not even gonna say anything about that PAT bc im speechless. Congrats and good luck with the application process

20. dizzle23x

Dentist
    my mistake...that's just a crazy PAT score...congrats!

21. shimul

Pre-Dental
    Are you interested in selling your achiever and topscore ?? please let me know ? can email me at [email protected]

thanks.

quote=Nowhat14;4847451]Hello all,

This is actually my first post. So, my appologies that I have not been participating. But I always found it helpful to read other people's scores and opinions. And it's my turn to return the favor.

So, first off, my scores.
    PA 30
    QR 19
    RC 18
    Bio 20
    GC 22
    OC 19
    TS 20
    AA 20

Besides the PA section, which I am surprised how well I did, my scores aren't too impressive. I was wandering what you guys would suggest me doing. Retake it or not? My GPA is 3.5, and I have one more semester to graduate. I will be applying for 2008 cycle.

So what do you guys think? Which schools would I have chance to get in if I don't retake it? I'm an international student as well so no state schools.

This is how I studied. Since I usually take above 19 credits hours for classes, my studies have been on and off depending on how busy I get with schoolwork. I used the Kaplan (MCAT and DAT) book, Achiever, Topscore. Did not take the course. Barrons for PAT

I can't give much suggestions about the academic portion of the test but PA section, I'd say go with Achiver. You can use other sources as kind of a "warm up." Do as many warm up questions as possible before you even try to use Achiever. It'd be waste of good problems if you don't have the fundamental.

Aperture passing: you can eliminate at least 2, so go from there. Barrons helped

Orthographic projections: first try to visualize with the two pictures given, don't look at the answers first which can confuse you.

Angle: use process of elimination until you have to make a choice. If close, guess it and mark it. You SHOULD come back later to re-try. Somehow you have better chance of discriminating when you come back. (to do so, solve the easy ones as quickly as you can)

Hole-punch: Achiver is the way to go. Use Kaplan's symmetry method for every folding if you know what I mean.

Cubes: if you miss any in this section, you got no chance. Easiest section with least "perceptual ability" needed.

Form development: most of them are obvious. But if you have time, actually draw the figure and shade in (don't do it for every question). It might take longer but I'd say you will get it 100 percent if you do.

When you feel like you got stuck, mark it and move on. But make sure you do other questions lightening fast and come back.

And don't hesitate to invest in many questions as possible. Since I did not take the course, I saved like what 1000 dollars? So, spend more to get questions.

I hope this was helpful.[/quote]

22. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    I believe achiever and topscore are not reuseable.