I took the computerized OAT!

HazelEyes34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally took the OAT, and it was the computerized version. It was really easy to work with, especially for Reading Comprehension. I did think that the Bio section was pretty tough, along with some of the Chemistry and Physics. However, I did get my scores immediately after the test ended:

AA-350
TS-350

I am definitely happy with these scores, however, my GPA isn't quite up to the averages that the schools have admitted. It is right around a 2.9 (I wish I could tell you why, but I don't really know either!). So my second part to this post is, are my OAT scores competitive enough to make up for a less than great GPA, or should I consider re-taking the OAT?

Members don't see this ad.

for most schools.. that score is great. It definitely depends on which schools you're gunning for. That's a great OAT score. congrats !!

hi hazeleyes,
I'm in a similar position as you with gpa and oat scores. My scores were higher than i expected and i'm wondering if the test was graded a little differently this year. I think it's going to depend on what the scores are from the oct 15 written exam as to what percentage the oat scores will be in.
for now i'm holding onto my notes and books in case i have to retake it.
good luck :)

I really liked the computer format of the OAT. I was able to score really well with only 2 weeks study, and I think it was because I had done similar tests on Topscore that were in the same format as the computerized OAT
AA:350
TS: 370

Members don't see this ad :)
HazelEyes34 said:
I finally took the OAT, and it was the computerized version. It was really easy to work with, especially for Reading Comprehension. I did think that the Bio section was pretty tough, along with some of the Chemistry and Physics. However, I did get my scores immediately after the test ended:

AA-350
TS-350

I am definitely happy with these scores, however, my GPA isn't quite up to the averages that the schools have admitted. It is right around a 2.9 (I wish I could tell you why, but I don't really know either!). So my second part to this post is, are my OAT scores competitive enough to make up for a less than great GPA, or should I consider re-taking the OAT?

I suppose this disparity proves much to the admission committees that you're still a very competent candidate, for as long as chances shall avail ... Congrats on those awesome scores! :thumbup: :thumbup:

So far I have been offered 3 interviews (which happened right after they received my OAT scores) so I'm assuming that's a good sign!

congratulations on the interviews!!!
how long after your scores went in were you offered interviews? i took my exam last monday and i was told that my scores will go out to schools this wednesday.

idoc2b said:
congratulations on the interviews!!!
how long after your scores went in were you offered interviews? i took my exam last monday and i was told that my scores will go out to schools this wednesday.

Wow! That is quick. I also took the computerized OAT, and it took about 4 weeks for the schools to receive my scores.

I think my scores were available a week and a half after I took the OAT. The schools are able to download them (usually on Fridays) so they don't have to wait for the written scores to arrive.

Hey Hazel... those scores are really good for OAT, so with that in mind, most schools will probably grant an interview with your gpa (as long as you are currently going to a competive school).

I've heard a bunch of opt. school reps. saying they've accepted people with below 3.0 because they had pretty decent OAT, and they graduated from a competitive undergrad.

Yep, you're right. I do go to a competitive school. (Ranked #34 currently in the US). So I'm guessing they're a little more understanding.

hey hazel....

your scores are great! i took my OAT on oct 26th i got a 340AA and 330TS my gpa isn't great. it's 3.26, but science gpa is about 3.0. i already graduated last spring from UF and now i'm working for an optometrist. i got so lucky that my optometrist (my boss) is super nice and he's a really good teacher. i'm hoping my above avg optometry experience will help with my gpa. hey when are ur interviews? or did u have them already?

I've got an interview at SCO on Dec. 2, UMSL on Dec. 5, and PCO on Jan. 5. I still haven't heard from 4 schools though!

Excellent...I have a similar GPA as yours Hazel, so I was hoping a good OAT will get me an interview. I go to a rank #32 school, so I'll be in the same boat....next year.

Oh, quick question...since you did so well on the OAT, can you tell me how you studied for it? Thanks, you served as a good reference for me :) .

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's just hope I don't somehow blow the interviews!

I studied using the Kaplan DAT book actually, since the OAT version is only available through the class. Same material though, except for the PAT on the DAT. I studied physics from a friend's Kaplan MCAT book instead. I also bought the smaller Kaplan OAT book (around $32) that just has tests and practice sections. Kaplan is harder than the actual OAT however, so don't get discouraged at all. I also found the practice exam you can request from the OAT website to be helpful too.

HazelEyes34 said:
I've got an interview at SCO on Dec. 2, UMSL on Dec. 5, and PCO on Jan. 5. I still haven't heard from 4 schools though!

i have mine on Dec 2 at SCO too! i picked 12:45pm what time is urs? maybe we'll see e/other ;)

I had my interview at SCO on Nov 4th...Let me know if you have any specific questions about the interview...FWIW, here's my stats:

OAT: AA 340, TS 330
GPA: 3.48 (3.72 pre-reqs.)

I haven't heard back from them yet regarding a decision. They told me it would be 2-3 weeks. I'm from Kansas, and I want to be considered for a KS contract. When I interviewed, 2 of the 3 KS contracts had already been awarded, and they wanted to talk to a few other people before awarding the last KS contract...

I'm hoping that I was accepted, and the only reason I haven't heard anything is the KS contract issue...

Best wishes...

rkl_OD2be said:
I haven't heard back from them yet regarding a decision. They told me it would be 2-3 weeks. I'm from Kansas, and I want to be considered for a KS contract. When I interviewed, 2 of the 3 KS contracts had already been awarded, and they wanted to talk to a few other people before awarding the last KS contract...

I'm hoping that I was accepted, and the only reason I haven't heard anything is the KS contract issue...

What exactly is a contract? I've heard it mentioned on her a few times but I don't know what it is. Also, from what I've heard, the SCO interview is pretty relaxed, am I right? And closed file too...did that work to your advantage or disadvantage?

Eye candie- my interview is at 10:00, so I'll be touring the campus, etc. after that. Maybe we'll run into each other sometime there! I'm spending the rest of the day/some of the next morning in Memphis too.

HazelEyes34 said:
What exactly is a contract?
"Because Southern College of Optometry is a private institution and serves many out-of-state students that do not have an optometry school within their state, SCO has a contractual agreement with several states outside Tennessee." Those who are awarded these contracts pay a reduced tuition rate (usually the "regional" tuition, but can be a little more or less), the difference is funded by the student's particular state of residence. The student, usually, is contractually obligated to practice optometry in their home state for a period of time to "repay" the state...

If you are a resident from one of the "regional states", and they haven't awarded all of your state's seats, you will be asked during your meeting with the admissions office whether you'd like to be considered for a contract.

HazelEyes34 said:
Also, from what I've heard, the SCO interview is pretty relaxed, am I right? And closed file too...did that work to your advantage or disadvantage?
I've now been to both a blind (at SCO) and open interview (at UMSL). In my experience, it didn't make much difference either way. The idea is the blind interview levels the playing field for all candidates for the interview.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not from a contract state, since SUNY is in NY, so I guess the first year tuition (if I get in!) will be higher....

HazelEyes34 said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not from a contract state, since SUNY is in NY, so I guess the first year tuition (if I get in!) will be higher....

The difference is $5000/year for Regional V. Non-Regional seats at SCO.

I had interview Nov. 11 at SCO. Was called yesterday (Nov. 21) to be awarded Regional Seat for 2006. Early interview makes all the difference with rolling admissions. I think they meet every 2 weeks regarding who might be accepted. Mid-December is when they will award scholarships for the 2006 class.

Also, SCO does not value GPA over OAT and vice-versa. I bet many schools are this way. OATs of 300 or under are generally encouraged to re-take, but also helps if OAT is improved for scholarships. Some current students re-take to try for more $$$. SCO really seems to be interested in the personal qualities/interests of the candidates, so be yourself in your interview. Relax, and remember that they invited you for a reason. Don't be arrogant, don't be stiff, just let them see the real YOU.

Does anybody seen how long it took foryour computerized scores send to your schools?

The guide says 'within 3 weeks.' I thought it was within 1 week?
I'm scheduled to take it on January 18 and the deadline to have everything in for MCO is Febuary 1 :scared: