I ... ... TURNED DOWN an interview offer today :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darrvao777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Midwestern candidate

Was offered a local interview but had already set up an interview at a dream location on the West Coast

The fact that I had to fly out, attend a pre-interview dinner, and actually interview precluded me from accepting the local offer.

Any chance they offer me a later date or am I finished?

(I asked the same question over the phone but was told they are in the process of completing all local interviews first before deciding on future interviews)

So there you have it: a subpar candidate, with only 3 interviews, turning down an interview offer today

I'm going to go cry now

Members don't see this ad.

Midwestern candidate

Was offered a local interview but had already set up an interview at a dream location on the West Coast

The fact that I had to fly out, attend a pre-interview dinner, and actually interview precluded me from accepting the local offer.

Any chance they offer me a later date or am I finished?

(I asked the same question over the phone but was told they are in the process of completing all local interviews first before deciding on future interviews)

So there you have it: a subpar candidate, with only 3 interviews, turning down an interview offer today

I'm going to go cry now
Just maybe you acted too soon. Maybe could switched dates at the west coast one or not attend the dinner just the interview?

The interviews were on the same day though and I didn't want to cancel all 3 (the flight, the pre-interview session, and the interview itself)

I greatly admire the local program as well and would probably have a better shot there

I agree. It is more important to go to the interview and cancel the pre-interview dinner than vice versa. Programs will not hold it against you - many programs match people who didn't go to the pre-interview dinner!