i wanna be a neurosurgeon ??? from Sudan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agooba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i am a med student 5th year i am very concerned about neurosurery but i do not know the pathway and structure of the career <, i might be interested by AU ,NZ and US ,, Please provide me with informations

Members don't see this ad.

hi
i am a med student 5th year i am very concerned about neurosurery but i do not know the pathway and structure of the career <, i might be interested by AU ,NZ and US ,, Please provide me with informations

Your chances of landing on the moon one day are higher than landing a neurosurgery residency in US. We, American medical school graduates, would never leave a neurosurgery residency spot for an international medical graduate. Unfortunately, this is the reality.

Last edited:
Your chances of landing on the moon one day are higher than landing a neurosurgery residency in US. We, American medical school graduates, would never leave a neurosurgery residency spot for an international medical graduate. Unfortunately, this is the reality.

This is not entirely accurate. I'm not posting this for the OP so much as for someone who might search for a similar thread down the road and stumble upon this one.

It is possible for an IMG to match neurosurg in the US. In the 2011 match, there were 11 IMG matches out of 195 spots with four of those being US IMGs -- so 7 total FMGs or about 3.5% of the total match. The match rate for "Independent Applicants" as a whole, which includes DOs, US IMGs, FMGs, and US seniors applying outside of their senior year, was 26%.

That said, again, it is possible. Almost certainly, the majority of those 7 (if not all) that matched this year had a strong connection with the department, outstanding research, 260+ step one scores... or perhaps all three. In addition, some may have been Canadian students, who traditionally have an easier time matching than do other FMGs. The vast majority of FMGs do not have a chance to match in neurosurgery in the US -- but it can be done.

To the OP: in all likelihood, you will not be able to do a neurosurgery residency in the US unless you have outstanding connections or something else in your profile that leads you to believe you are a one-in-a-million applicant.