I want NYCOM !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really got very impressed with the school...I am obsessed with it now...Anybody else has NYCOM as #1 choice? I sent my update letter to them today, also my graduate school professor will send additional LOR Thursday or Friday. I know I just have to wait,but is there anything else I can do to get noticed?

Good news I got an A in general physics II, I did not expect it though. I had to stay at my job overnight and I did not sleep at all ...I went straight to school next day.. my final was at 5:30pm so I went on with 2 double expresso from Starbacks + orange juice+some vitamins of C and B family...It took me about hour to concentrate, but I somehow I did it... I felt like I could not think at all..Anyway, my advice NEVER TAKE FINALS IF YOU DID NOT SLEEP A NIGHT BEFORE :)

Members don't see this ad.

there's not much more you can do. good luck!

Everyone who applied to nycom, well not everyone, but alot, ok at least some for sure, want nycom. Other than blackmail I dont see how you can speed up the process.

Did that caffeine boost really allow you to stay awake? I dont drink coffee, but was curious as to its effects on very sleep deprived individuals like Im sure you were. Congrats on exams, now go relax/party.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone who applied to nycom, well not everyone, but alot, ok at least some for sure, want nycom. Other than blackmail I dont see how you can speed up the process.

Did that caffeine boost really allow you to stay awake? I dont drink coffee, but was curious as to its effects on very sleep deprived individuals like Im sure you were. Congrats on exams, now go relax/party.

Did it really help me hmm I think if I had just coffee, it probably would not help me that much ( i am a coffee drinker and got pretty immune to it),I think coffee+OJ+vitamins did it, but again only for two hours...:)I crushed right after I left a classroom, I actually fell in sleep in the train and missed my station.

I really got very impressed with the school...I am obsessed with it now...Anybody else has NYCOM as #1 choice? I sent my update letter to them today, also my graduate school professor will send additional LOR Thursday or Friday. I know I just have to wait,but is there anything else I can do to get noticed?

Good news I got an A in general physics II, I did not expect it though. I had to stay at my job overnight and I did not sleep at all ...I went straight to school next day.. my final was at 5:30pm so I went on with 2 double expresso from Starbacks + orange juice+some vitamins of C and B family...It took me about hour to concentrate, but I somehow I did it... I felt like I could not think at all..Anyway, my advice NEVER TAKE FINALS IF YOU DID NOT SLEEP A NIGHT BEFORE :)

There is not too much you can do but wait. I know that is a horrible feeling though. Just try to stay positive and try not to obsess too much. Hopefully you will be hearing some good news in the near future. Your update letter and your physics grade should definitely help. Good luck!:luck:

Hey Guys. I had a question for those of you who applied to NYCOM. After designating NYCOM on the AACOM application and receiving a letter from NYCOM saying they were choosing who they would interview off the NYCOM application, how long was it until you heard from them again? I got a letter from NYCOM mid December discussing that and still haven't heard anything yet. Thanks!

Hey guys :). Question for those of you who applied to NYCOM. I applied late in the cycle and got a letter from NYCOM mid-December stating that they base their interviews off of the primary AACOM application and will send a supplemental application if you're chosen for an interview. I was wondering about how long NYCOM took to reply if they are serious about an interview? I still haven't heard anything, but don't really know how long it's supposed to take, especially with the holidays and what not. Please let me know when you get a chance. Thank you!

Melanie :)

Right now it's my top choice too, but I also need $$ to go there. It's way expensive.

How did you ever sit through a final after drinking that much without having to pee? Congrats on the A!

Hey Guys. I had a question for those of you who applied to NYCOM. After designating NYCOM on the AACOM application and receiving a letter from NYCOM saying they were choosing who they would interview off the NYCOM application, how long was it until you heard from them again? I got a letter from NYCOM mid December discussing that and still haven't heard anything yet. Thanks!

I got the letter in September and didn't hear until the end of October. But, that is when they started interviews. As I am sure you have read, whether you are instate or not makes a big difference, so I think it is going to be completely different for everyone. Good luck!:luck:

For me, out of all the schools I interviewed at, NYCOM is #2, but my #1 has me on their version of a waitlist. Although I definitly would not mind going to NYCOM, in fact I'll probably be very happy there. But I went to undergrad nearby and I want a change of scenery mostly. But good luck, here's hoping for you!

I got complete late in November ( I had to resent my transcripts + get a waver from my international transcript which was very impossible to get on time).I got letter from NYCOM in the middle of December and interview invite was dated December 20 or 21st, but it got lost in the mail and reached me on January 3rd. I called in and lady from NYCOM said they were thinking about withdrawing my application because I never called in...I was yelling something like "NOOOO!!!DONT DO IT!!!! " in the phone:scared: she was very understanding and offered me January 17th date for the interview :).
Week passed I am still waiting ... I will wait one more week and call in because there is possibility of post office losing my letter again :(.

Right now it's my top choice too, but I also need $$ to go there. It's way expensive.

How did you ever sit through a final after drinking that much without having to pee? Congrats on the A!

I dont have money too. I will take out loans.

Final was 2 hours it was not that bad. I still cannot understand how I made it, I was like solving those problems automatically without thinking, I had only 2 thoughts about bathroom and going to sleep...:) thats why I was thinking if I get B I would be happy, but I e-mailed prof. and he said I got an A...

My boyfriend told me that it is good that I can carry on like that because it is actually can help during my residency in surgery. I was like well you are too good to me let me get to med school first...:)

The one huge downside to NYCOM is the cost of living. Add that in with their tuition and there was no way I could afford to live there with a family. I really have a preference to be in the country anyway, so the middle of nowhere Tennessee is perfect for me. I really liked the school though and I am sure you would all be happy there. Good luck everyone!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Received NYCOM letter at end of september, invited for interview 2 weeks later. Interview was early november, accepted one week later. They were quick! My stats were 28P 3.7/3.7 and no letter from osteo physician! Hope this helps people! As for cost of living problem where theres a will theres a way! Good luck to everyone..just tough it out!

27P 3.7/3.7 -Undegrad, 3.76-Grad, 4.0 Postbac. I am waiting it kills me...no osteo letter too...

27P 3.7/3.7 -Undegrad, 3.76-Grad, 4.0 Postbac. I am waiting it kills me...no osteo letter too...

You sound like you have pretty solid stats for NYCOM, but you may want to work oin that osteo letter. My friend interviewed without one, and they told her it would be in her best interest to get one. Although her MCAT was a bit lower than yours. But she interviewed a couple days before me, but didn't get her acceptance letter until about a month and a half after I got mine, so I dont know if it was lack of DO letter or something else. But try to get one if you can.

You sound like you have pretty solid stats for NYCOM, but you may want to work oin that osteo letter. My friend interviewed without one, and they told her it would be in her best interest to get one. Although her MCAT was a bit lower than yours. But she interviewed a couple days before me, but didn't get her acceptance letter until about a month and a half after I got mine, so I dont know if it was lack of DO letter or something else. But try to get one if you can.

My working schedule does not allow me to shadow DO :(

Those are great stats! I am sure you have a great chance at NYCOM.:luck:

Interviewer : Did you shadow any DOs?

Me: Officially no, but I saw the way they work in the hospital.

Interviewer: For example, tell me.

Me: I used to spend many hours with my grandfather in the hospital translating for him (he had stomach cancer). This is what happenned, he was in hospital and I was about to leave because russian doc came on the floor, suddenly he started throughing out blood with some yellow mucus in it, it lasted about 3 minutes. We did not know what to do ...my gradmother started screaming and doctor came in (middle age russian woman MD). She looked at my grandfather and told us that he is in coma he will never make it and we have to make funeral arrangments. My grandmother left to the corridor and there was a young doctor passing by ( he spoke ukranian) , he asked her why she was crying , she told him. He came in, looked at my grandfather, massaged his feet, shoulders and arms,cleaned him up, and told us he wil be OK. My grandfather woke up in two hours...Doctor was a DO resident and it was first time when I saw DO initials. I was following him around a week or so...
Plus, in Memorial Sloan Kettering I used to follow a DO around ( I already knew what DO is by that time), but I never shadowed anybody oficially...I know it is a disadvantage but I had to work full time, I was only one who worked in my family for a couple of years so I just did not have a time...

Interviewer: I understand. Do you have your LORs on your file?

Me:Yes,I do-a pre-med letter, but if you want additional letter from my graduate faculty I will send it in. I cannot provide a DO letter because I never shadowed DO for more than a week, I felt like I cannot ask for one.

Interviewer:Dont worry, Its OK, I understand. Would you definitly go here if you will get in?

Me: Yes I got very impressed with a school and live in Glen Cove, I will definitly go...

wow everyones stats are great its scaring a hopeful future nycom'er.
my stats are no where close, 3.1 gpa/ so far 4.0 sci but still have a bunch of classes to go[doing my post baac] 3.6 post baac gpa [that includes a b in accounting which i took for a retake].

it sounds like they emphasize the do lor which is defiently something i should start to focus more on

I did not have an osteo letter and I was accepted a week later! I think they want to see that you at least shadowed a DO. If they want you they will take you without a letter so don't fret about the letter!

I did not have an osteo letter and I was accepted a week later! I think they want to see that you at least shadowed a DO. If they want you they will take you without a letter so don't fret about the letter!

Then I stand corrected. I guess it depends on how good your stats are nad how much they want you. Maybe my friend was more border line so the interviewer felt she would do better to get a DO LOR? Well, go to the interview, and wow them and see what they tell you.

Then I stand corrected. I guess it depends on how good your stats are nad how much they want you. Maybe my friend was more border line so the interviewer felt she would do better to get a DO LOR? Well, go to the interview, and wow them and see what they tell you.

After the interview it is very difficult to tell if you WoW them or not...I just hope for the best.

yea, i didnt exactly feel that I WOW'd my interviewer but I was accepted 2 weeks later. Although I think your stats are high enough for an acceptance, a DO letter would pretty much set it in stone.

i called NYCOM yesterday and was told it takes 4-6 weeks for them to get the letters out, but I've read some of you got your letters a week or two weeks after your interview, is it because NYCOM have preference when it comes to letter of acceptance for applicants with great stat and put those with OK stat on hold to see if they can get some one better to fill the slot? just curious

I didn't think I wowed my interviewer either. It was pretty strange, actually. He was a little odd, he answered the questions himself based on a couple things I said. ANd he seemed a bit disorganized, eh came out with all our files and asked for one of us to come back with him, didn't matter which one. He was just weird. But I got my letter about 2 weeks later.

yea, i didnt exactly feel that I WOW'd my interviewer but I was accepted 2 weeks later. Although I think your stats are high enough for an acceptance, a DO letter would pretty much set it in stone.

I'll try to fgure out how to get it.

I'll try to fgure out how to get it.
A DO letter definitely wouldn't hurt; however, you have solid stats and you live right near the school. I got in without a DO letter also; I had an MD letter.

A DO letter definitely wouldn't hurt; however, you have solid stats and you live right near the school. I got in without a DO letter also; I had an MD letter.

My graduate science prof sent letter yesterday :)

No D.O. letter here. Interviewed a week ago, accepted today, and very happy about it. Something of a dilemna though: I still have some interviews to go, beginning next week, though the NYCOM deposit is due February 9th. One is at school X, which I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go to unless I was offered some sort of scholarship (doubtful), and the other is at school Y, which though I am not wild about the location (in fact, I'm pretty sure I hate it), I would be forced to seriously consider as the tuition is roughly half that of NYCOM; this interview is not until Feb 7th. Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

I am in !!! No letter.