I Want To Graduate On Time!!

hiwope

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, this is my very first post because I REALLY don't know what to do..

I want to start optometry school in fall of 08. However, I have not yet taken physics or ochem. these subjects are on the OAT, and it will take at least a year to finish (so I will be done before fall 08). is it possible to take OAT right after (in may 08) and send the applications then too? or is it too risky/late! :scared:

should I just slow down my workload and graduate in 09 instead????

Members don't see this ad.

hi, this is my very first post because I REALLY don't know what to do..

I want to start optometry school in fall of 08. However, I have not yet taken physics or ochem. these subjects are on the OAT, and it will take at least a year to finish (so I will be done before fall 08). is it possible to take OAT right after (in may 08) and send the applications then too? or is it too risky/late! :scared:

should I just slow down my workload and graduate in 09 instead????

why not take the two classes and finish them before fall of 2008, and take the oat after one quarter/semester of physics and ochem?? and possibly study on your own for the latter sections of the courses? I'm pretty sure that sending in oat and applications in may of 2008 is too late for entrance of Fall 2008. Whether you want to stay apply for Fall of 2009 is up to you. I just know that it's still doable if you really want to attend in 2008.

My personal opinion - you might want to stab yourself if you take physics AND ochem at the same time, unless you take a particular liking to either one of those subjects. Last semester I took ochem I, physiology and micro and it was really tough. But, everyone's different. I took physics last summer b/c I didn't have time or want to take it with ochem. (I'm graduating in December so I don't have that extra spring semester). You probably would be better off just taking the OAT after one semester of those classes.

I'm applying for fall '08 too - good luck with everything! :)

Hmmm....yeah that is really late to be applying. If you are looking to go to a school with rolling admissions, you may be out of luck. I just waited until I finished most of my classes, and then applied. Now this did give me several months off which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. If you have the money to travel, or want to spend time chilling out, this can be good. The bad is that it puts off your professional life. It worked out really well for me though because I had more time to study for the OAT and create good applications...Let me tell you, it really paid off! So....it's all what's important to you really. If you do apply for 08, don't wait until May to take the test...Take it in February at the latest if you want to have a good chance. Just study some OAT materials for what you haven't gotten through.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you'll be ready for the OAT after only one semester of physics and OChem. someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I took the OAT, but I believe most of what's covered is first semester Ochem and Mechanics (physics).

I concur. You'll be ready for the most part, just look over some of the conceptual stuff you'll be missing out on and you'll be fine.

Why not do them in summer, and write your OAT in like aug or even novish.

thanks for all the suggestions! i'm gonna take a semester of ochem before I take physics, then take the OAT after 1 semester of physics. i hope all turns out well!

ps: how come it's called 'write' the oat and not 'take' the oat?

haha ya i thought they "wrote" the test as in made the questions.

it's like, ORGO vs ochem.