I wish I had done things differently ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I recently just got accepted into medical school and l thought I would take the time to give some insight on how I handled things versus how I wished I had handled things. I graduated in three years, at 20 years old, and everything really did seem rushed. Looking back at my undergraduate experience, I truly only enjoyed my first year since my second year was absolute hell since I was taking 3-4 labs each semester with volunteering and research on the side. Also, in order to graduate in 3 years, I had to enroll in courses over the summer of my freshman year. All in all, everything worked out since I achieved my end goal of getting an acceptance to a US medical school. However, now I find myself asking the question was it worth all of the stress?

After weeks of thinking about this question, I can 100% say no, it was not worth it.

I wish I had a gone about things a lot differently. So here are some things I wish I had done:

- Study for the MCAT as early as you can, friends and SDN will often say to only study 3-4 months but this is garbage. If you want to start as early as your freshman year go for it, just don't go to overboard haha. Most people end up retaking the MCAT or pushing their test dates back, so really those recommending to study 3-4 months are studying more than that. My advice would be, if you are up to the challenge, review the topic you are learning in lecture with that same topic in your MCAT books. This will help in the long run, and make studying for the MCAT ALOT easier. If studying for the MCAT early, your goal should be to just familiarize yourself with the content and to not forget the things you learned in early courses (Bio 1/ Chem 1, etc.). This test is very important and killing it will exponentially increase your odds of getting into med school.

- Try to get involved in productive research early on, with the end goal of getting a publication. There are plenty of research projects going on, so if you put in the time to find an interesting project, you will 100% find one. This is a simple way to set yourself apart from other applicants.

- Volunteer as much as you can. The whole point of becoming a doctor is to help people so why not start during your pre- med years?

- Get to know your professors. This will help you a lot in terms of gaining insight on various topics and well as obtaining strong letters of rec.

- Don't be afraid of taking a gap year. This is something that I was very against prior to starting Undergrad. I had been taught that it is what someone does if they failed to get into med school on their first try. Know that I have matured and learned more about the whole academic process, I can 100% say that this is false. Gap years are amazing if used productively. You can use this year to do literally anything- research, travel the world, masters program, etc. 30 years from now when you are a physician, it is not going to matter whether you finished medical school at 26 or at 27, all that will matter is that you are a physician.

- Be involved on campus. College is and will most likely be the most fun years of your life. Make good friends and enjoy the process. Don't make the mistake of rushing through everything, while focusing only on the end goal. It is 100% possible to gain admission into a top medical school while having fun.

Hopefully this can help some of you in your journey to becoming a physician!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
"it is not going to matter whether you finished medical school at 26 or at 27"

How about 32? ;)

Good post my friend. I'm glad you've reached some clarity that can help others.

Reactions: 6 users
"it is not going to matter whether you finished medical school at 26 or at 27"

How about 32? ;)

Good post my friend. I'm glad you've reached some clarity that can help others.
At 32, you are still a mere child. Oh to be 32 again.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with most of this.

If you want to start as early as your freshman year go for it, just don't go to overboard haha.
I actually don’t know a single person that started studying for the MCAT their freshmen year. Honestly, no one actually should be thinking about the MCAT this early on. College is a tough transition (at least it was for me) ... I think it’s more important to adjust yourself to college, find good study habits, and implement a healthy work life balance.

with the end goal of getting a publication
good goal to aim for, but if I read this as a freshman, I would be so anxious about finding the right project that’ll actually produce something, otherwise it’ll just be a waste of time.

definitely get involved in research early (either because you know you want to do it because you want to test drive it to see if it’s something that you like) ... but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get a publication. It’s more important to get the experience and to learn what research is. If you get involved in a project that you like but get zero physical yields from it (like me), it’s 110% okay.

Reactions: 2 users
I would say that everyone who has taken a gap year or more on purpose never regrets it. I am starting med school this upcoming fall and it will be 2.5 years since I graduated and I learned so much in that time and grew as a person that I cant even imagine how I would have gone through interviews or felt mature enough to start medical school in a few months! Although, I cant say that even with the extra time that my last 2 year of undergrad were very pleasant due to working part time, volunteering, etc. I didn't do many things directly related to medicine during my gap years, for instance I worked at a hotel, but becoming fully financially independent, connecting with people in the "real world" as opposed to just college peers, and partying to the point where I could go the next couple years without it and not feel like I am missing out haha. Everyone has their own path, but I am more than glad that this was mine!
P.S. I will be 32 by the time I am done with residency if everything goes as planned lol

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed on everything except the MCAT freshman year. I think 6 months of studying (if consistent) is enough for most people, even with a 520+ goal score. Freshman year you should focus on acing your classes and learning the material for understanding so you’re not reinventing the wheel come time to study for the MCAT. Mastering undergrad course work definitely helped me prior to MCAT specific studying. Congrats on your acceptance future doc!

Reactions: 1 user