premyo2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2003
\\
Status
In your opinion what percent of pre-meds, that actively use SDN, eventually get into Med school ?

I expect it is around the high 80's.
Browsing SDN in our free time, for fun, shows that we are excited about becoming physicians, and such enthusiasm should be reflected on applications/interviews.

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I sincerely doubt that it is nearly at high as 80% seeing as the national average for any given year is between 40-45% (Sorry to rain on your parade, but its the facts).

robotdancing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Originally posted by celticmists18
I sincerely doubt that it is nearly at high as 80% seeing as the national average for any given year is between 40-45% (Sorry to rain on your parade, but its the facts).
the people who actively participate in the sdn forums are generally not average candidates. subsequently, i have no doubt that the # of active sdn'ers accepted to med-school is far higher than the national average of ~50%.

i mean, hey, look at mdapplicants.com. there are (proportionately) very few average applicants on this site and, thus, it seems pretty logical to me that their results aren't average either.

About the Ads

Abe

15+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
Status
SDN is loaded with useful information, I was lost before I found it, I really think i know more about the process than some of nonsdn counterparts. Knowing more about it gives SDNers and little bit of an edge in my opinion.

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
SDN also molds you, through paranoia, into the expected stereotypical premed kinda person, which is bad.

ad_sharp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
You never know
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with most of the above posters. Probably around 60% is reasonable. It should be somewhat higher than the national average because there are a few more gunners (percentage-wise) here than in the overall premed population.

Sean2tall

Pathology Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know. I've got to agree that it's probably pretty high. Where are all the threads of people who have no acceptances yet? When the Pitt decisions started coming in, I bet there was easily a 70% acceptance of SDNers.

Celestron2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Prolly more people will post about being accepted than not accepted. I think that's harder to admit, even to a group of anonomous strangers. A certain amount of bragging goes on here over test scores, GPA, ECs etc... it can give you a bit of an inferiority complex. I say it takes a lot more guts to post something like, "I applied to 40 schools and haven't been accepted anywhere," than "I am holding on to 10 accepts and I just can't choose between Harvard and Hopkins."+pity+
lol. ;)
Just my 2 cents

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Originally posted by robotdancing
the people who actively participate in the sdn forums are generally not average candidates. subsequently, i have no doubt that the # of active sdn'ers accepted to med-school is far higher than the national average of ~50%.

i mean, hey, look at mdapplicants.com. there are (proportionately) very few average applicants on this site and, thus, it seems pretty logical to me that their results aren't average either.
hmmm, now I feel out of place because I actively participate but I am a very average applicant (3.58, 30) . . .

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by Celestron2000
"I applied to 40 schools and haven't been accepted anywhere
close....applied to 43 schools!
3.4 31. theres lots of us lower number applicants on sdn and we show it all...we dont mind...gives other people with similar numbers hope that you dont need a 3.7 35 to get in to good medical schools.

mlw03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
come on - 3.4 and 31 is not that low. 3.1 and 26 is low. but if i had to bet, i'd say that average SDN user is around a 3.6 and a 33. but i would also think the standard deviation would be quite high - around 0.4 and 4 at least.

and not to beat a dead horse, but any US school (allo or osteo) is a "good school". the name schools are what they are because they're research schools - if i had to choose between a Harvard doctor and a StateU doctor for my GP, i'd pick the one that was a nicer person (and i think we all know which one that would be).

Originally posted by jlee9531
close....applied to 43 schools!
3.4 31. theres lots of us lower number applicants on sdn and we show it all...we dont mind...gives other people with similar numbers hope that you dont need a 3.7 35 to get in to good medical schools.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
thanks for the kind words man...

well before i entered sdn i thought a 3.4 was low (i knew my 3.1 science was low no matter what anyone said...)

but after being here for a while....i feel that my 3.4 is competitive...i just like grouping myself in the low gpa category since its fun to know that numbers arent everything...:)

robotdancing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Originally posted by celticmists18
hmmm, now I feel out of place because I actively participate but I am a very average applicant (3.58, 30) . . .
you're not an average applicant. the average score on the april 2003 mcat was 24.8. you're almost an entire standard deviation above average. as far as matriculants go, those numbers are closer to average.

i wasn't suggesting that "average" applicants don't exist on sdn. rather, i'm merely suggesting that [it seems like] "above-average" applicants are disproportionately represented among those individuals who actively participate here.

E

Eraserhead

Originally posted by robotdancing
you're not an average applicant. the average score on the april 2003 mcat was 24.8. you're almost an entire standard deviation above average. as far as matriculants go, those numbers are closer to average.

i wasn't suggesting that "average" applicants don't exist on sdn. rather, i'm merely suggesting that [it seems like] "above-average" applicants are disproportionately represented among those individuals who actively participate here.
we are above average in terms of OCD symptoms

E

Eraserhead

nah, i doubt most applicants leave this open all day hitting reload every 30 minutes.

About the Ads