I wonder ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my interview at a DO school, one of the interviewers asked me what I knew about the founder of osteopathy. I answered about the death of his children due to meningitis - despite the treatment received from his colleagues, as one reason why he eventually sought an alternative philosophy of medicine, when the interviewer interrupted me and said that is was not meningitis, but typhiod that they died of.

Now, I'm no historian on osteopathy, but the things I've read about osteopathy all have mentioned meningitis - spinal, to be specific, as the cause of death for Still's children.

Now, I didn't say anything, as I wasn't 100% sure that I was correct and he was wrong, and even if I were, I was leery of correcting him during an interview situation.

Whaddya think - was this some subtle test of my knowledge? Should I have politely and gently begged to differ to assert myself?

This interview was the 'stress' interview, which is the only reason why I wonder whether it was a subtle test of sorts.

- Tae

Members don't see this ad.

Sure sounds like it could have been a test. Of course, I don't really think you can expect an applicant to take on an interviewer over A.T. Still. Maybe they just wanted to see how you could handle some disagreement.

I had a similar question when I interviewed at AZCOM. In my personal statement I had talked about cattle ranching, and one of my interviewers put out questions about cattle that were really jacked. He was kind of trying to get me to go along with him, but I just politely plead ignorance to what he was talking about. It kind of worried me, but I must have done okay because I got in.

Originally posted by San_Juan_Sun
Sure sounds like it could have been a test. Of course, I don't really think you can expect an applicant to take on an interviewer over A.T. Still. Maybe they just wanted to see how you could handle some disagreement.

I had a similar question when I interviewed at AZCOM. In my personal statement I had talked about cattle ranching, and one of my interviewers put out questions about cattle that were really jacked. He was kind of trying to get me to go along with him, but I just politely plead ignorance to what he was talking about. It kind of worried me, but I must have done okay because I got in.

If you interviewed on a Thursday, in September, then I remember you. From Utah - right?

Damn, I wish I knew that that was you!

- Tae

Members don't see this ad :)
The 26th of Sept.? That was me then. Are you the guy that got asked a bunch of ethics questions?

BTW, I'm actually from NM. Nothing against Utah (where I go to school), but I have to give some respect to the Land of Enchantment.

The 26th of Sept.? That was me then. Are you the guy that got asked a bunch of ethics questions?

BTW, I'm actually from NM. Nothing against Utah (where I go to school), but I have to give some respect to the Land of Enchantment.

Yeah, yeah - that was me.

Damn again! I posted here asking if anyone was interviewing that day. Jennij told me she was interviewing that day, and we a funny conversation about the application process the night before the interview.

Yeah, I felt like I got tooled on with those questions. But that's okay. Experience - she be a cruel but effective teacher ...

- Tae

Have you heard from them yet? I got my letter Thursday, but they were only mailed on Tuesday. I would imagine it might take a while to get out to you back east.

Have you heard from them yet? I got my letter Thursday, but they were only mailed on Tuesday. I would imagine it might take a while to get out to you back east.

I think the acceptances took longer to be sent out, as I received my waitlist letter 10 days after interviewing.

- Tae

i would bet it was a little test-- to see if you'd confront a "sup" or how well you'd handle the pimping that goes on in medicine. SJS, are you at BYU, UofU, other??? last year those in the area got together for a dinner night-- once acceptances start rolling in we should do it again.

I have heard several versions of the story:

They died of meningitis

They died of typhoid fever

They were his adopted children

They were his real children

Depends on who is telling the tale, I suppose.

What's the truth?

Whatever Wish says... ;)

I don't really think it matters what you answered. Just knowing that A.T. Still was the founder and he was looking for a better and more practical way to treat patients...well, that's more than some people applying.

Best of luck with everything.

Josh

jhug,

I'm at BYU. How about you, a Cougar, a Ute, or other? Are you still in Utah? Dinner sounds good. I'm still in the mood for celebrating.

I think 9 people from BYU got accepted to AZCOM last year. Either accepted of matriculated. I can't remember which. A few from the U and USU as well.

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but from the above quote it sounds to me like this was some kind of group interview. Where was this interview and are all DO interviews conducted in groups? If so, then I'm in big trouble. It's stressful enough to have an interview but answering in front of others seems like i won't be able to handle that.:(

Originally posted by Zeritz
I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but from the above quote it sounds to me like this was some kind of group interview. Where was this interview and are all DO interviews conducted in groups? If so, then I'm in big trouble. It's stressful enough to have an interview but answering in front of others seems like i won't be able to handle that.:(

Sorry to give you the wrong impression. We had around 15 people there to interview that day. We all take the tour and the orientation together, but you interview alone.

Interviews were with a 3 person panel (one DO, one PhD, and one med student). The interview was fairly laid back.

Oh ok! Thanks for the replyS-J-S.

According to "Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress" his three children (one adopted) all died from spinal meningitis. Still himself later suffered from Typhoid, but didn't die from it.

sjs-- i actually interviewed with most of them last year!!! there were i think 12 interviewing that day and 8 were from utah and i think 2 from idaho going to school in utah. We actually started our own utah/azcom thread but later started the azcom 2006 one (so no one felt left out :D) i'm just finishing up at the ufou.

Originally posted by Green912
According to "Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress" his three children (one adopted) all died from spinal meningitis. Still himself later suffered from Typhoid, but didn't die from it.

I have that book - the Gevitz book mentioned meningitis as well. Hmmmmm.

Oh well, interview's over, it's not gonna change anything.

- Tae

Originally posted by Zeritz

It's certainly not a stupid question, as Tuoro in CA - TUCOM, conducts group interviews. As far as I know, it's the only one that does.

- Tae

Zeritz...be aware, not all DO interview in a panel format, but a bunch of them do. If you are getting interviews, find out what format they use and practice with family and friends. It is actually not as stressful as you would think...everyone is in the same boat, so you all wind up helping each other...I actually enjoyed this type of interview. PM me if you need some more info. Good luck

During my interview at a DO school, one of the interviewers asked me what I knew about the founder of osteopathy. I answered about the death of his children due to meningitis - despite the treatment received from his colleagues, as one reason why he eventually sought an alternative philosophy of medicine, when the interviewer interrupted me and said that is was not meningitis, but typhiod that they died of.

According to A.T. Still's Autobiography, three of his children (two natural, one adopted) died of spinal meningitis in the spring of 1864. But in the chapter heading, it states that 4 members of his family died. So who knows.

Russell