IAUPR vs POP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted960078

So far from researching online IAUPR has been getting bashed, many students saying to stay away, I personally don't know much about the school. However while working at a private practice, I did meet an Alum, who only spoke positive about her school and she was happy with her decision and outcome and now practices optometry in NJ. Only difference was that she was from a hispanic background so she understood Spanish perfectly, can't say the same about myself. She did mention that all the lectures were in english however when it comes time for clinical your patients don't speak english so you have to learn to proctor an exam in Spanish.

Now IAUPR is cheap compared to other schools and you can come back to the states and take the boards exam.

So i guess my question is that is IAUPR really that bad that people would rather do extra year with the POP and be in much more debt?

Members don't see this ad.

Also curious about this! You actually save a significant amount in the program compared to the usual (40k vs 27k)... over 4 years it accumulates a lot, especially since I'm Canadian and there's an exchange rate.
Someone answer?

So far from researching online IAUPR has been getting bashed, many students saying to stay away, I personally don't know much about the school. However while working at a private practice, I did meet an Alum, who only spoke positive about her school and she was happy with her decision and outcome and now practices optometry in NJ. Only difference was that she was from a hispanic background so she understood Spanish perfectly, can't say the same about myself. She did mention that all the lectures were in english however when it comes time for clinical your patients don't speak english so you have to learn to proctor an exam in Spanish.

Now IAUPR is cheap compared to other schools and you can come back to the states and take the boards exam.

So i guess my question is that is IAUPR really that bad that people would rather do extra year with the POP and be in much more debt?
Hello! POP's extra year isn't the same price as a year in optometry school, as I hear from a friend of mine who is in it right now.
Also, as a Floridian who knows PR, I wouldn't recommend someone from up north being there if you are not used to hurricanes. Florida buildings are very safe thanks to building standards, but PR's doesn't have as high of a standard compared to Florida. I don't wanna say this in a bad way, but you're basically stuck on the island if a hurricane hits you because plane flights will be 1,000+.

Also, you can join me in POP! :soexcited::highfive:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! POP's extra year isn't the same price as a year in optometry school, as I hear from a friend of mine who is in it right now.
Also, as a Floridian who knows PR, I wouldn't recommend someone from up north being there if you are not used to hurricanes. Florida buildings are very safe thanks to building standards, but PR's doesn't have as high of a standard compared to Florida. I don't wanna say this in a bad way, but you're basically stuck on the island if a hurricane hits you because plane flights will be 1,000+.

Also, you can join me in POP! :soexcited::highfive:

haha thank you for the insight ! i will let you know what i end up doing!! who knows we might end up being classmates :D

Reactions: 1 user

yes it is that bad also they are going to be closing so you may want to avoid. they cannot get enough students bc of how poorly they treat American students. They are having an open house on the island if they cannot get enough students this year they will shut down.

Their board pass rate is 40% for across the board. Parts 1,2 and 3 hardly anyone passes the first time around. Many students have to take all three parts multiple times in order to pass wasting thousands and many were never able to pass and never became drs. STAY AWAY

Also curious about this! You actually save a significant amount in the program compared to the usual (40k vs 27k)... over 4 years it accumulates a lot, especially since I'm Canadian and there's an exchange rate.
Someone answer?
you get what you pay for...cheaper doesn't mean better though I understand being from Canada its a little different bc i don't think the loans work the same

POP program for sure!!!! much better school, professors, education, and experience. Beautiful safe campus. you are more likely to succeed long term.

My two cents---I actually like IAUPR buuuut I do speak spanish. So that could be something to it. Not gonna lie, it is definitely a different experience when you speak spanish vs. don't. And can't deny there are some issues for sure. You will have to deal with professors whos main language is obvi spanish and who will have spelling errors, etc. That doesn't make them any less intelligent or diminish the quality of education that you can receive--just a little more challenging for you to learn. IAUPR is definitely not for everyone and you'll always have your haters and those that love it (or those that are in between--like me lol). Take that as you will. If you prefer not to deal with it, then don't pick IAUPR. If you don't know spanish, they do make you take a spanish class and you will have to learn to proctor an exam in spanish by the end of your first year. Personally, I feel like its a good skill (but I would). As far as housing, they do provide housing for unmarried students which is hurricane proof. And there are quite a few Canadians down here too. I chose it cause I met quite a few doctors that loved it and after interviewing at other schools (and yes--being accepted at others) this just seemed like a good fit (I know --weird lol). And as far as I know, they're not closing anytime soon. Just a rumor (at least I hope it is)

Reactions: 2 users